News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

TP2000

Some construction news for you. I went to my kid's school open house and meet up with one of the parents of my daughter's friends. He is one of the contractors working on Star Wars land. He says permitting is getting finished up in June. The construction contract is for four years and will be completed to go with Episode 9.

Here is the best part. He the did a remote terminal session into his work computer and showed me the overall land plans. It is very similar to the micechat map except with more detail like the location of two life size A-wings, an X-wing and of course the Falcon. He showed how the river is being moved and how the train will realign.

Interesting also was that expansion pad next to toon town is marked on his map as the Frozen show building. It seem that building will be built at the same time as SWL. The entrance seems to be about where Mickey's house is now. Its unknown if the ride will open before or after SWL. There are no plans on this map for BatB ride or restaurant.

Wow! No, double wow!

Good to know that Miceage Update map we've all been using was as accurate as others have said. Score another one for Miceage.

Speaking of that, the last Miceage Update now seems even more relevant. Star Wars Land plus Pumbaa parking plus Marvel in DCA doesn't meet the requirements of the $1.5 Billion needed to keep Anaheim's taxman away for 45 years. But add in Frozen mini-land and some Fantasyland expansion and TDA gets there to the $1.5 Billion mark.

And Michael Colglazier can avoid worrying about his executive contract not being extended for at least another five years. Which is probably a bigger driver behind this stuff than most people realize.

Curious Constance

I'm kind of bummed my kids won't get to ride the Twilight version. They both like the show, but it's literally just swapping one IP for another, and the ride will be the same. Who knows, maybe it will even be cooler. I'm willing to give it a chance.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Some construction news for you. I went to my kid's school open house and meet up with one of the parents of my daughter's friends. He is one of the contractors working on Star Wars land. He says permitting is getting finished up in June. The construction contract is for four years and will be completed to go with Episode 9.

Here is the best part. He the did a remote terminal session into his work computer and showed me the overall land plans. It is very similar to the micechat map except with more detail like the location of two life size A-wings, an X-wing and of course the Falcon. He showed how the river is being moved and how the train will realign.

Interesting also was that expansion pad next to toon town is marked on his map as the Frozen show building. It seem that building will be built at the same time as SWL. The entrance seems to be about where Mickey's house is now. Its unknown if the ride will open before or after SWL. There are no plans on this map for BatB ride or restaurant.

Thanks @phruby - that really helps clear a lot of things up!

Too much to ask if there are any other random things you learned?

D

Deleted member 107043

Four years?!

wendy_crying.gif

Phroobar

If would have been really cool to get a snapshot of the plans to feed to the rebellion but all I got was a quick look see on a phone in the middle of the playground. The "Alcatraz" show building looked like it took up more room than Miceage shows but it was generally in the same place.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

Four years is Disney's CYA timeline for the project - it's budgeted and exists in case there are delays or problems. They are still shooting to have this thing up and running by December 2018, summer 2019 at the latest. A 2020 opening would be considered a worst case scenario for this project, as it shouldn't take that long to build.

Stevek

Sweet! I wonder if the Frozen ride will be water based like Epcot or use the BatB technology coming to Tokyo?

mickEblu

Four years is Disney's CYA timeline for the project - it's budgeted and exists in case there are delays or problems. They are still shooting to have this thing up and running by December 2018, summer 2019 at the latest. A 2020 opening would be considered a worst case scenario for this project, as it shouldn't take that long to build.

Also if it's supposed to debut with episode 9 , that's May 2019. I have my money on SWL Opening Summer 2019

Phroobar

Also if it's supposed to debut with episode 9 , that's May 2019. I have my money on SWL Opening Summer 2019
I think more December 2019 is more likely. Episode 7 was in December 2015, Episode 8 is December 2017 and I would guess episode 9 will follow suit. That doesn't mean the land won't open up in the summer of 2019. It all depends on how fast they work and how many problems they encounter.

Stevek

No clue. I would like to see a water based ride.
Yes, a thousand times yes. Disneyland needs another water based boat ride and hopefully if they go down this path they'll be able to make it bigger and better than the Epcot version since they won't have to shoehorn it into an existing building.

dweezil78

Yes, a thousand times yes. Disneyland needs another water based boat ride and hopefully if they go down this path they'll be able to make it bigger and better than the Epcot version since they won't have to shoehorn it into an existing building.

Really can't see them sticking another slow moving boat ride in such close proximity to Small World. Between Pirates, Small World, and Splsah Mountain, Disney is doing pretty ok on water-based dark rides. It's DCA that sorely needs one! (Grizzly doesn't count!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom