News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

D

Deleted member 107043

What's that second tunnel in the berm between Frontierland and Fantasyland? Has that always been there? I need to go back and look.

Edit: Yep, it was there, but mostly hidden by the landscape and terrain in the foreground.

Mike S

I'm mostly annoyed because we'll never hear the end of it. A ratty, decades abandoned building is being torn down... Outcry in 3, 2, 1...
Disneyland was actually behind the curve on that one. Both the TL and FL stations have been removed from MK and TDL by now right? Of course TDL got Pooh and we got bathrooms, but still.

Rich T

I'm mostly annoyed because we'll never hear the end of it. A ratty, decades abandoned building is being torn down... Outcry in 3, 2, 1...
They didn't serve pancakes there, so I'm okay with it.

Old Geezer's Trivia Time: Tomorrowland Skyway station was always packed with people waiting. The much lovelier Fantasyland station was usually a walk-on.

180º

It really had to go, sad though it may be to lose a piece of history. I wonder if the hill will be leveled altogether?

Old Mouseketeer

This week's Mint Crocodile pano. They are really working on the remaining berm by trucking out the left over root systems. Biggest thing is that the Frozen show building plot is now an absolute mountain of dirt... Not sure to what end.

i-ksnmmfw-O.png

Perspective problem--the expansion pad is actually BEHIND the giant mound at the left of the picture and is still perfectly flat.

Old Mouseketeer

What's that second tunnel in the berm between Frontierland and Fantasyland? Has that always been there? I need to go back and look.

Edit: Yep, it was there, but mostly hidden by the landscape and terrain in the foreground.

The tunnel on the right is boarded up and painted white. It actually runs at a diagonal and is closer to the tunnel on the left on the East side, right next to the longer tunnel that goes South under the Skyway Chalet. It has been paint storage for many years

D

Deleted member 107043

@Old Mouseketeer How do you know all this stuff? Have you ever worked at Disneyland?

OAN... a little birdie told me that permits were filed to demolish the Fantasyland Skyway terminal as part of the SW expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

This week's Mint Crocodile pano. They are really working on the remaining berm by trucking out the left over root systems. Biggest thing is that the Frozen show building plot is now an absolute mountain of dirt... Not sure to what end.

i-ksnmmfw-O.png

Early in my career I was around some construction operations. It's common practice in big projects like this to pile up as much dirt as you can in a temporary pile on a space that you will be soon be building a large and/or heavy structure. That way the ground can compact as much as possible onto the rocky sub-terrain or bedrock and the heavy building/structure will be easier to construct short term and be more stable long term. (And Anaheim's geology is textbook perfect for this, with good dry topsoil sitting on rocky subsoil sitting on bedrock below)

It's also a handy space to store dirt while you deconstruct other areas that will need grading and the dirt later in the project timeline. It's a win-win for big construction like this.

The space where they are dumping all the earth appears to be the site for the Millenium Falcon ride building, according to the Miceage map. If I were to bet a churro on this... I would say that we will see vertical construction first happen this summer on that Millenium Falcon ride building area. That will be the first area we see structural steel rise up from the cement foundation, which is why the dirt is there first.

The "Expansion Pad" that the last Miceage Update and some insiders are saying will be a Frozen ride is to the east of this dirt mound, or at least partially covered by the dirt.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Early in my career I was around some construction operations. It's common practice in big projects like this to pile up as much dirt as you can in a temporary pile on a space that you will be soon be building a large and/or heavy structure. That way the ground can compact as much as possible onto the rocky sub-terrain or bedrock and the heavy building/structure will be easier to construct short term and be more stable long term. (And Anaheim's geology is textbook perfect for this, with good dry topsoil sitting on rocky subsoil sitting on bedrock below)

It's also a handy space to store dirt while you deconstruct other areas that will need grading and the dirt later in the project timeline. It's a win-win for big construction like this.

The space where they are dumping all the earth appears to be the site for the Millenium Falcon ride building, according to the Miceage map. If I were to bet a churro on this... I would say that we will see vertical construction first happen this summer on that Millenium Falcon ride building area. That will be the first area we see structural steel rise up from the cement foundation, which is why the dirt is there first.

The "Expansion Pad" that the last Miceage Update and some insiders are saying will be a Frozen ride is to the east of this dirt mound, or at least partially covered by the dirt.

Thanks @TP2000 & @Old Mouseketeer. That makes sense and puts things into perspective!

Old Mouseketeer

@Old Mouseketeer How do you know all this stuff? Have you ever worked at Disneyland?

I was born and raised in Southern California. I went to college in Orange County. Of course I worked at Disneyland before pursuing a completely different career. But I still live in Orange County and know many current and former cast members, including some extremely knowledgeable Disney enthusiasts. My rebel spies are witnessing these events firsthand and in real time. They (and I) don't get everything right. But I hope I can offer some historical detail and maybe even the occasional new datum. I'm not always right, but I do know a few things.

D

Deleted member 107043

Thanks. I appreciate your posts along with others here who share inside info and knowledge now and then.

Phroobar

I guess since they are in the area with demo equipment they might as well take a day or two to take it down. It's better to remove it than have it collapse on the food cart and path below. It would be bad PR if it just fell down where it was standing.

Rich T

So nobody has anything to say about the Skyway terminal being torn down?
I'll miss looking up there and seeing it, since I've got fond memories of actually being in there with the distinctive, cool sounds and sights of the skyway buckets arriving, being manually pushed around the bend, then boarding and that awesome, genuinely thrilling initial swing out over the Casey Jr. Area. And the straw and farm implements decorating the chalet's interior! :)

But, if they're not/can't use it for another attraction, better it get torn down than just fall apart. As others have mentioned, I do hope the hill and trees stay.

Seriously, though, after adjusting to what's happening with Star Wars Land... I don't think *any* other change in DL is gonna rattle me much. Knock. On. Wood.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom