News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Disney Analyst

I just looked it up, if they sell food or have tables then kids can enter but they cannot sit at the actual bar.

So if it's an actual bar with no tables or booths it's not ok... Has anyone actually seen a bar that was only a bar with no tables?

So the Cantina with drinks is a go!

The way it works is you have a Food Primary License or a Liquor Primary License.

If it is liquor primary, that means you are a bar. You serve drinks, may have some snack options but no real kitchen. Food primary means your focus is on food, but can serve liquor.

So I somewhat assume they may add food elements to the Cantina so they can serve alcohol. Or perhaps the cantina and the restaurant will be connected in some fashion.

Curious Constance

From the Mouseplanet weekly Disneyland Update:

"
Less exciting from a visual perspective, but still interesting to those following the construction process, is a building permit Disney filed the same day for the second phase of the project. This permit includes the construction of a 12,000 sq. ft. subterranean marina with pump and power stations; a 5,573-linear-foot retaining wall; four bridge/trestle structures; and three tunnels.

Taking these individually, here's our best guess about what Disney is building:

Marina – this is likely a storage area for the watercraft (barges and Crocodile) used for Fantasmic. The quarter-acre structure probably won't actually be "underground," but built into the redesigned berm around Disneyland.

Retaining wall – this is likely the redesigned berm. The permit also calls for more than 900 linear feet of landscaped retaining wall.

Bridges, trestles and tunnels – based on the permit, we expect the new train route to cross over water in one place (likely at the inlet to the new marina structure), and to cross over walkways in three additional places. Those three walkways would likely be the "tunnels" listed on the permit, similar to the entrance to Toontown. The permit specifies two bridges and two trestles; these terms refer to the type of construction.

This permit just covers one small phase of the construction, so there's nothing too exciting here. Still, it's fun to keep tabs on the work. For now, enjoy the view of the construction scene."

BrianLo

Original Poster
From the Mouseplanet weekly Disneyland Update:

"
Less exciting from a visual perspective, but still interesting to those following the construction process, is a building permit Disney filed the same day for the second phase of the project. This permit includes the construction of a 12,000 sq. ft. subterranean marina with pump and power stations; a 5,573-linear-foot retaining wall; four bridge/trestle structures; and three tunnels.

Taking these individually, here's our best guess about what Disney is building:

Marina – this is likely a storage area for the watercraft (barges and Crocodile) used for Fantasmic. The quarter-acre structure probably won't actually be "underground," but built into the redesigned berm around Disneyland.

Retaining wall – this is likely the redesigned berm. The permit also calls for more than 900 linear feet of landscaped retaining wall.

Bridges, trestles and tunnels – based on the permit, we expect the new train route to cross over water in one place (likely at the inlet to the new marina structure), and to cross over walkways in three additional places. Those three walkways would likely be the "tunnels" listed on the permit, similar to the entrance to Toontown. The permit specifies two bridges and two trestles; these terms refer to the type of construction.

This permit just covers one small phase of the construction, so there's nothing too exciting here. Still, it's fun to keep tabs on the work. For now, enjoy the view of the construction scene."

@Virtual Insanity posted this on the previous page. But it reminds me that I meant to ask @danlb_2000 what he typically sees as the turnover from a permit such as this to meaningful construction.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Basically a permit being filed to actually starting on what the permit is for? Will Disney file a permit weeks, a month or many months in advance of when they start to enact it?

I don't know how things work in California. In Florida we don't get to see permits, only notices of commencement which are usually filed right before work begins.

D

Deleted member 107043

A Disneygeek update from yesterday (April 21):

IMG_5524.jpg

There's a lot more work going on now and it's beginning to look like a construction site. Big Thunder Mountain looks tiny in comparison to SW Land.

20160421_134507.jpg

I can't believe this is the view from the Hungry Bear looking north!

20160421_135655.jpg

View from Big Thunder Trail. :geek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Constance

A Disneygeek update from yesterday (April 21):

IMG_5524.jpg

There's a lot more work going on now and it's beginning to look like a construction site. Big Thunder Mountain looks tiny in comparison to SW Land.

20160421_134507.jpg

I can't believe this is the view from the Hungry Bear looking north!

20160421_135655.jpg

View from Big Thunder Trail. :geek:

Your picture is awesome!!!! Lol

TP2000

(Stares at photos)
I... I... I think I'll stay way from DL until this phase of construction is over...

You can only see it if you peer through the tiny cracks in the fences and then auto-correct the photos on your home computer, or raise your tripod over the fence line. Or go to the top floor of the parking structure.

Otherwise, the construction currently looks like this from New Orleans Square...
i-kXC39ww-L.png

Or like this from Frontierland...
i-jPSbqDD-L.png

More of these photos from MintCrocodile's Friday blog update http://mintcrocodile.blogspot.com/ , like this one showing the original 1955 train tunnel has now been removed from the original berm area.
i-kZmgXmz-L.png

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom