News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

BrianLo

Original Poster
26581667426_9fe23ea2f3_o.png

I made this more for myself than in actuality because I was having a hard time visualizing where the RoA was now that they are stripping out the tip of Tom Sawyer's island.

Pink is the old route, purple is the new route. Teal is the old train route and light green is going to be the new train route.

Here just a larger zoomed out view without the markings...

i-qfstHZc-O.png

I'm actually shocked how insignificant the change is. If you ask me, the small alteration in RoA was really for the railroad's sake to take its more windy route.

TP2000

26581667426_9fe23ea2f3_o.png

I made this more for myself than in actuality because I was having a hard time visualizing where the RoA was now that they are stripping out the tip of Tom Sawyer's island.

Pink is the old route, purple is the new route. Teal is the old train route and light green is going to be the new train route.

Fantastic! Although your teal line was the train route from 1955 to 1965. The train got re-routed further to the north after the Indian Chief when they built It's A Small World in 1965-66. The tunnel remained however, and was behind the Festival Arena. The 1966-2015 tunnel is north of the Fantasyland Theater, and if it's still there it is hidden behind the big pile of dirt near the theater.

Here's the train route, a straight shot from the Rivers of America to Tomorrowland, circa 1957. The tunnel you pinpointed in that photo above was directly north of the Mine Train desert scene shown wedged between the River and StorybookLand.
tumblr_n438a4kA2q1s2wio8o1_500.jpg

Four years later, in 1967, the railroad had been rerouted and bumped further north, and through a new tunnel that led to the new Fantasyland Station near Small World. You can still see the old alignment carved out directly behind the Mine Train and StorybookLand.
fldepot_aerial1970.jpg

Last edited:

BrianLo

Original Poster
Fantastic! Although your teal line was the train route from 1956 to 1965. The train got re-routed further to the north after the Indian Chief when they built It's A Small World in 1965-66. The tunnel remained however, and was behind the Festival Arena. The 1966-2015 tunnel is north of the Fantasyland Theater, and if it's still there it is hidden behind the big pile of dirt near the theater.

Here's the train route, a straight shot from the Rivers of America to Tomorrowland, circa 1957. The tunnel you pinpointed in that photo above was directly north of the Mine Train desert scene shown wedged between the River and StorybookLand.
tumblr_n438a4kA2q1s2wio8o1_500.jpg

Four years later, in 1967, the railroad had been rerouted and bumped further north, and through a new tunnel that led to the new Fantasyland Station near Small World. You can still see the old alignment carved out directly behind the Mine Train and StorybookLand.
fldepot_aerial1970.jpg

Oops, you are right, thanks!

Well in that case the train is even more the problem than I thought.

Edit: I fixed it.

26608497705_58273b31d8_o.png

Last edited:

BrianLo

Original Poster
One final thing for the night: I used the cargo container and scrapers as a rough length estimate for my photo. I wound up with slightly under 100 meters of a difference between the two lines I drew.

I also was just playing around with a map measurement tool and compared what Mice Age proposed. The river length is approximately 710 meters and the new path they suggested would be 615 meters. Approximately 13% difference

So the RoA is changing by <15%...

D

Deleted member 107043

Question: Will the backstage structures in the far bottom right corner be removed? I thought I read somewhere that they would be, but it appears that they might be staying.

BrianLo

Original Poster
So the MiceAge map is probably exaggerated from the actual changes being made?

No the MiceAge map is totally accurate (the one from January). That measures to about 13% and is completely consistent with where they are obviously clearing up until.

Every other random number you have maybe heard hand-wringers say... 1/4 of the river, 1/3 of the river sometimes even 1/2 is totally exaggerated.

D

Deleted member 107043

Do we know that they are for sure?

You raise a good point. One thing that hasn't been discussed is the abrupt Fantasyland/Frontierland transition that existed before construction began. I wonder if the Fantasyland end of Big Thunder Trail will be reconfigured and how. I'm guessing it won't, but this sure would be an opportune time to soften the intersection of the three lands.

D

Deleted member 107043

I can't imagine that the structure is still usable at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich T

No, but it is still there and not behind walls. It would make a nice entrance to a Tangled dark ride.
Tangled would be a tricky one to make a decent dark ride out of. Most of the film is Rapunzel and Flynn bickering, and Gothel's not very scary. And I'm probably in the minority, but I can't stand the Snugly Duckling thugs. Cute musical number, really annoying one-note characters. I'd rather have a Maximus carousel.... ...

Oh! Oh! A carousel with all the great Disney horses!!!!! Why haven't they done that yet?!?

Rich T

I changed my mind. I would actually love to see a dark ride that consists of nothing *but* scene after scene of Rapunzel and Flynn bickering. Every time you turn a corner-- there's another one. With the voices cranked up to max. And Maximus rolling his eyes. And three or four scenes of Rapunzel braining Flynn with her frying pan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom