News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Curious Constance

cute-sigh-gif-780.gif
Lol!!!! How did you know I love Loki?!

Travel Junkie

From Mouseplanet's update this morning:

"a building permit Disney filed the same day for the second phase of the project. This permit includes the construction of a 12,00 sq. ft. subterranean marina with pump and power stations; a 5,573-linear-foot retaining wall; four bridge/trestle structures; and three tunnels.

Taking these individually, here's our best guess about what Disney is building:

Marina – this is likely a storage area for the watercraft (barges and Crocodile) used for Fantasmic. The quarter-acre structure probably won't actually be "underground," but built into the redesigned berm around Disneyland.

Retaining wall – this is likely the redesigned berm. The permit also calls for more than 900 linear feet of landscaped retaining wall.

Bridges, trestles and tunnels – based on the permit, we expect the new train route to cross over water in one place (likely at the inlet to the new marina structure), and to cross over walkways in three additional places. Those three walkways would likely be the "tunnels" listed on the permit, similar to the entrance to Toontown. The permit specifies two bridges and two trestles; these terms refer to the type of construction.

This permit just covers one small phase of the construction, so there's nothing too exciting here. Still, it's fun to keep tabs on the work. For now, enjoy the view of the construction scene."

https://www.mouseplanet.com/11387/Disneyland_Resort_Update_for_April_1824_2016

BrianLo

Original Poster
26451703562_4bee2cdc8f_o.png

This is for DHS. It's a moderate departure from what I've seen of Disneyland. I'm not sure if the walkways are wider in Florida, but Disneyland may have the superior guest flow with the second level walkway due to the land being sunk behind the berm.

Stevek

OMG... it's gorgeous. Where did you find that?
It was shown at the WDW media event this AM. I believe this is for DHS and agree, it does look beautiful...I think we will be in awe when we see it in person. It's interesting and might put some folks concerns to rest that the highest points are well at the back of the land with the lower sightlines at the front. Assuming this is very similar to what will be build at DL, it's very likely that the new berm or landscaping in in front of the land will hide most of SW land from view outside the area.

Rich T

That really does look great. The thing I like most about this approach to the the land is the emphasis on the colorful, low-tech side of Star Wars: the bazaars and the everyday inhabitants. The whole concept of the tucked-away outpost in the galactic boonies was a smart move.

Phroobar

Best of all this kind of look can be used for other non star wars IPs. It kind of has a middle eastern adventureland feel.

Kiwiduck

I have a feeling that alcohol is going to be pushing it...

I do agree some solid drinks in the Cantina are a must but unless they have changed the law in California you can't can't have kids in a bar setting with hard liquor.
Wow, is that actually the law? Might be a bit of a problem then.

Rich T

Star Wars is a family film franchise, and the land will be designed for families to enjoy as a group. The cantina will serve precisely as much booze as Gaston's Tavern at the MK. I just want a blue milkshake.

D

Deleted member 107043

I have a feeling that alcohol is going to be pushing it...

I do agree some solid drinks in the Cantina are a must but unless they have changed the law in California you can't can't have kids in a bar setting with hard liquor.

Huh? I've seen kids in the Carthay Circle Lounge, Trader Sam's and Cove Bar not to mention the various bars in DTD Disney like House of Blues. I think there's an exception if the facility is a dining establishment and not just a bar. Either way I think we can assume the the Cantina will primarily be a restaurant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom