News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Curious Constance

IMG_2356.jpg

Figments Friend

WOW! what a huge difference this project is making to the northern flanks of Frontierland and the Rivers of America. I have said this several times already, but this project will radically improve the visuals on the northern flanks of Disneyland's existing lands. Where once there was nothing but a thin wall of trees and overgrown shrubs, will now be purposely Imagineered rockwork and cliffs and waterfalls and boulders and structures and eye candy. In addition to all the hundreds of new trees to be planted beyond. A big improvement for Disneyland!

Indeed, and that is the one thing I am most anticipating in seeing the end result of - the decorative themed 'border' that will separate the 'Star Wars' area from the rest of the Park.
I am looking forward to seeing what the train ride and river cruises will now entail once construction is completed on those areas.
A lot a potential there for a real 'plussing' to the wilderness setting.
It is THE big positive for me with this project....not nessesarily the land addition itself.

Among the tantalizing concept art and now the current construction photos, there has also been talk about what might be included and added in addition.
Everything from sly Natures Wonderland references contained within the new 'natural settings', to new dimensional scenes along the River, to other small scenic additions.
It IS quite exciting to watch it slowly unfold....ever so gradually.

If a 'Star Wars' land has to reside in this particular Park, then I for one am hoping for a really fantastic 'compensation package' to enhance the sight lines and Guest experience.
So far it looks like that is being addressed in a satisfying way.
We shall see...

Here's hoping for a awesome end result.
:)

-

Last edited:

Phroobar

I was talking to a friend of mine that builds elevators. The round sarlac pit they are reinforcing could be a synchronized screw driven platform. It would take guests/vehicles to the basement level of the building or raise/lower set pieces similar to how the AA character sets appear and disappear in American Journeys or the Country Bears.

20130923102609536478731.jpg

George Lucas on a Bench

The Millennium Falcon attraction. Who cares? Obvious simulator. Been there, done that. USS Enterprise > Millennium Falcon. Heck., Padme Amidala's ship > Millennium Falcon. It really is a piece of crap.

Now, that other one appears to be enormous. It's unclear what exactly this thing will be (many speculating similar technology to the Asian Johnny Depp ride), but it's certainly looking more impressive than Millennium Falcon: The Ride.

britain

I do not dispute that the other ride is the F-ticket of the bunch, but seeing as we haven't had any real good views of the Millennium Falcon attraction yet, its progress new overhead shot is interesting.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Now, that other one appears to be enormous. It's unclear what exactly this thing will be (many speculating similar technology to the Asian Johnny Depp ride), but it's certainly looking more impressive than Millennium Falcon: The Ride.

It's an LPS ride like Mystic Manor, but less intimate scale of Haunted Mansion and more over the top scale of the modern PoTC. Yes, this will be the ride I expect some people to declare their favourite ride at DLR.

I don't expect the Falcon to break the mold, but I think there will be something to be said of an individualized stimulator experience that is less passive. There's in part a reason TSMM is wildly popular and fun, this one will actually be a well dressed E-ticket instead of the bare bones video game.

One thing is for certain, Star Tours will be somewhat redundant and old school by comparison. All of tomorrowland, save Space Mountain, will need a rethink.

Figments Friend

One thing is for certain, Star Tours will be somewhat redundant and old school by comparison. All of tomorrowland, save Space Mountain, will need a rethink.

Yes, please.
It's high time Tomorrowland at Disneyland recieved a refreshening.
No 'Star Wars'...no 'Marvel'....just a complete refresh and the introduction of some welcome new experiences.
Not just Attractions, a 'whole package' per say.

That includes the dining options as well.
Surely in space / the future dining is a lot more exciting and thematically cool design-wise then what has been on display at the Pizza Port over the last few years.

I'm hoping Tomorrowland is next on the list for looking into for reinvestment once the mad rush to build the 'Galaxy Far Far Away' over beyond Frontierland is completed.
They will have to do something to get Guests to visit that area once 'Star Wars Experience' opens and the fancy new additions come into the fold.

-

George Lucas on a Bench

It's the most overrated fictional spaceship ever. To me, the whole concept is very dumb and, like Disney's Star Wars output thus far, it wreaks of gimmicky fan service. It won't be as cramped or sickening as Mission:SPACE, but it sure makes me want to throw up just thinking about it. It's about as banal a concept for a Star Wars attraction as you could come up with because of how much its pandering to the fanboys. It will surely be replica Falcon cockpits with a screen and buttons, and some characters "talking to you" to make it seem interactive. Ugh.

See? I called it. I can't really call the other one, that's why it's interesting.

Last edited:

Mike S

It's the most overrated fictional spaceship ever. To me, the whole concept is very dumb and, like Disney's Star Wars output thus far, it wreaks of gimmicky fan service. It won't be as cramped or sickening as Mission:SPACE, but it sure makes me want to throw up just thinking about it. It's about as banal a concept for a Star Wars attraction as you could come up with because of how much its pandering to the fanboys. It will surely be replica Falcon cockpits with a screen and buttons, and some characters "talking to you" to make it seem interactive. Ugh.

See? I called it. I can't really call the other one, that's why it's interesting.
Tell us how you really feel.
giphy.gif

Over 10,000 likes!
You have much to learn young padawan :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom