News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Macro

We really do need a new aerial photo.

i-WDgVrjJ.jpg

Sorry...

Last edited:

BrianLo

Original Poster
Let's all just enjoy another stellar update shall we?

The 15:30 mark beautifully clears up the confusion over the multi buildings going up. The built up steel structure is a support building like @Old Mouseketeer was talking about and the ground work rebar is the far edge of the Falcon building like @britain was talking about.

I am currently suspecting the new support buildings are secondary to the moving target that is Frozen. This lends more credence to Roger Rabbit also departing OR additional backstage structures behind Toontown OR the wonderbra OR the Autotopia plot (or maybe a combination). Since this was first discussed well over a year ago we also know they moved sites for the very similar project in Tokyo Disney Sea because they wanted it bigger. For the Mice Chat pessimists out there, this is a clear supportive example of Disney themselves changing plans.

It's also possible these need to be ready in order to start with the Frozen build... very possible we'll see that kick off well before Star Wars opens if the target dates we've heard whispers of hold true.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Original Poster
I'm visual, so it's helpful to map out all the different ways Jane from SILA is looking at the project in the video and how it lines up with the boundaries that we are seeing. You can see how she's able to see the completed steel of the battle escape attraction from hungry bear or in the usual SE corner of the Mickey and Friends structure. Or when she is angling more towards hungry bear you no longer can see the uncompleted parts of the Battle Escape attraction.

Also she is now walking to the very North East of the structure, which has the break in the tree line allowing us to see the Northern edge of what will be Falcon. The three other service structures are the fully purple building that is the brand new steel at 15:30. The green is the completed service peaked warehouse that's been there for several months now and the blue the temporary construction trailer compound.

32296554573_68e5949f00_o.png

vancee

Anyone know whats going to happen with the fireworks when this land open? I don't think they could just close this land for the fireworks like Toontown. This new land would look amazing at night, wouldn't want to miss out because of them closing it due to fireworks.

Old Mouseketeer

Anyone know whats going to happen with the fireworks when this land open? I don't think they could just close this land for the fireworks like Toontown. This new land would look amazing at night, wouldn't want to miss out because of them closing it due to fireworks.

That is a brilliant observation. I can't illustrate the geometry tonight. I have some excellent input from my Bothans over the past year. If you draw a a circle around the main Fireworks farm with the SW quadrant going from Disneyland Drive due West to the berm behind Fantasyland Theater to the South, it encompasses only show buildings in SWL). All of the open guest areas of SWL are outside the fallout zone, at least barring any expansion for wind direction. (Small World Mall is sometimes closed for fireworks depending on wind speed/direction).

I fully believe that Disney would absolutely NOT plan a billion-dollar expansion that had to close every night for fireworks.

Old Mouseketeer

I'm visual, so it's helpful to map out all the different ways Jane from SILA is looking at the project in the video and how it lines up with the boundaries that we are seeing. You can see how she's able to see the completed steel of the battle escape attraction from hungry bear or in the usual SE corner of the Mickey and Friends structure. Or when she is angling more towards hungry bear you no longer can see the uncompleted parts of the Battle Escape attraction.

Also she is now walking to the very North East of the structure, which has the break in the tree line allowing us to see the Northern edge of what will be Falcon. The three other service structures are the fully purple building that is the brand new steel at 15:30. The green is the completed service peaked warehouse that's been there for several months now and the blue the temporary construction trailer compound.

32296554573_68e5949f00_o.png

The latest video and firsthand reports I have heard from my rebel spies have confirmed one mistake in the MC plan that has always nagged at me. I have always believed that the Millenium Falcon show building at the top center would line up on a straight East to West line parallel to the parade float building behind it, and not at a slight angle. The recent aerial photo in this thread further confirm this.

TP2000

Let's all just enjoy another stellar update shall we?

Another excellent update from her. She really knows how to get the interesting stuff. A few thoughts;

At 1:30 that round pit thing is certainly major. So much rebar and steel going into that part of the structure that it has to be something major. Judging by the amount of steel and materials, I would have to think it has something to do with the ride system and is being built for major weight and stress to be applied to it. A circular elevator that lifts ride vehicles from one floor to another? A turntable loading dock? A revolving salad bar? No, that last one can't be right.

Whatever this round structure is, or will do, it's major and important and built for heavy stresses.

And from 19:00 onward, WOW! what a huge difference this project is making to the northern flanks of Frontierland and the Rivers of America. I have said this several times already, but this project will radically improve the visuals on the northern flanks of Disneyland's existing lands. Where once there was nothing but a thin wall of trees and overgrown shrubs, will now be purposely Imagineered rockwork and cliffs and waterfalls and boulders and structures and eye candy. In addition to all the hundreds of new trees to be planted beyond. A big improvement for Disneyland!

Well, that's certainly helpful. It also shows just how accurate that original MiceAge Update map from 2015 was after all.

But what we really need is some kid with a drone to be flying over Star Wars Land every few weeks. Once those big ride buildings get finished, you won't be able to see much from the parking structure any longer.

BrianLo

Original Poster
That is a brilliant observation. I can't illustrate the geometry tonight. I have some excellent input from my Bothans over the past year. If you draw a a circle around the main Fireworks farm with the SW quadrant going from Disneyland Drive due West to the berm behind Fantasyland Theater to the South, it encompasses only show buildings in SWL). All of the open guest areas of SWL are outside the fallout zone, at least barring any expansion for wind direction. (Small World Mall is sometimes closed for fireworks depending on wind speed/direction).

I fully believe that Disney would absolutely NOT plan a billion-dollar expansion that had to close every night for fireworks.

I'd love if you could draw that radius. I don't even know where the fireworks launch from.

TP2000

And here's a video taken from a very different angle. I can't figure out where this guy is standing, maybe the roof of the Sheraton across Ball Road? Or the Bank of California building near the freeway offramp? Wherever it is, it gives a much better view of those new warehouse buildings they've built behind Toontown. They look rather temporary, or at least cheap modular construction designed for a few years of use.

britain

Here's a gif of aerial progress. The extreme difference in shadows doesn't help.

EDIT: I don't see it animating... hmm...

If you save it and view it elsewhere it works.
upload_2017-2-26_8-27-35.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom