News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Old Mouseketeer

Really, I thought that was more well circulated?

We'll see, but structural steel went up on Pandora around the same time, but two years ago. Both projects "started" in January. I think the hope was to shave 6 months off Pandora's timeline, but so far I haven't seen evidence in the actual land itself. It also depends on how things look once resources shift from the river to the actual land, perhaps it will go into hyper speed.

Even if it slips I imagine we'll get it early spring 2019.

It's hard to compare because of the difference in constuction. DL SWL is basically two projects--one is river and railroad, and one is the new land. For the actual SWL, they are just starting to go vertical after a full year of relocation, demolition, site preparation, and excavation. Virtually all the construction for SWL has been below grade. Even the backside of the rockwork for the DLRR is bare concrete.

I'd say we'll know more in six months as we see how much vertical progress there is. I would use Carsland as an additional benchmark.

D

Deleted member 107043

TDO can't even get a simple water fountain show working at DAC. How do we expect them to build three new lands efficiently?

Completely off topic, but I've been meaning to ask you what your avatar is.

Old Mouseketeer

Did your rebel spies happen to get a reason why things would be so largely delayed? I remember seeing something on here before about concerns that the train won't be able to handle the tight S curves of the new track...but I'm wondering if there is something else.

I don't think that's it. From what I can tell from construction cross-referenced to my recollection of posts here from train enthusiasts, I think the only problem turn is going into and through the new tunnel approaching FL/TT station. But the train would already be decelerating and could slow down even more, if necessary.

I seriously doubt it has to do with the ability of the train to go around the track. They wouldn't have engineered this entire thing for years of approvals and such and not know 100% that the train can go around the track. if it couldn't, it would cost millions and be months of rework.

However, it might have to do with the trains sitting outside for the last year with no maintenance and they could use a complete overhaul before reopening. The paint is looking a little bad on them.

I'm not sure about needing a "complete overhaul". The locomotives (and Mark Twain) are having their boilers fired up regularly and they can be rotated into the roundhouse over the coming months for any needed work. Most of the rolling stock has remained indoors for the past year and has, presumably, been fully maintained.

But my guesses are no better than anyone else's.

D

Deleted member 107043

Isn't it interesting that it took a year and a day to build Disneyland but it'll take a year and a half to reroute half of the ROA and 3 years to build Star Wars land?

TP2000

I'd say we'll know more in six months as we see how much vertical progress there is. I would use Carsland as an additional benchmark.

If Star Wars Land at Disneyland opens April, 2019 (with WDW's opening eight months later at Christmas '19), that's 26 months from now.

Here's what Cars Land looked like in March, 2010, which was 26 months before its grand opening.

Cars1-021110-AVP.jpg

vancee

Won't the train cars need to be redone with better safety? Now the train would be going over a trestle with water below?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom