News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

GiveMeTheMusic

To be fair the Toy Story coaster looks significantly more elaborate than Gaget's.

It's somewhere between Gadgets and SDMT, but the new art that shows most of its theming and lift hill removed does not inspire confidence. A whole land that contains a Mater's clone and that coaster is nothing to crow about, and DHS deserves better.

TP2000

Here's a neat panoramic shot that will be in tomorrow's Dateline Disneyland report.

IMG_3284-X3.jpg

https://datelinedisneyland.smugmug....016/04-11-16-Edited-Update-Photos/i-z27Xwn7/A

Little Green Men

I'm actually really pleased they're removing the whole back area of MGM, but I'm still bummed by the Toy Story Land with a baby coaster and flats. DL gets the stellar Cars Land with a legit E ticket, MGM gets an expanded Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground with a Gadget's Go Coaster and spinning thing. What a disaster.
More like it's getting it's own version of Mater's, and a coaster at-least twice as long as Barnstormer/ Go Coaster, plus a doubled TSMM with better theme placement, and a SWL in a park where it fits.
It's somewhere between Gadgets and SDMT, but the new art that shows most of its theming and lift hill removed does not inspire confidence. A whole land that contains a Mater's clone and that coaster is nothing to crow about, and DHS deserves better.
A close up of the art work at-least shows there will be many props around the coaster like Jessie rescuing Rex off a Jenga tower.

Last edited:

TP2000

More like it's getting it's own version of Mater's, and a coaster at-least twice as long as Barnstormer/ Go Coaster, plus a doubled TSMM with better theme placement, and a SWL in a park where it fits.

DHS has the weakest lineup of attractions of any Disney park. There's only five rides in that place, and I'm amazed they get people to actually pay cash money to go in there. TDO is brilliant for pulling that off, but seriously... five rides?!? Toy Story gets them to seven. Star Wars gets them to nine. Hooray.

As for which park Star Wars "fits" in, take a look at that panoramic photo of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom above. You can see a fake Swiss Matterhorn near a fake Bryce Canyon mine train, and surrounding those two random mountains there are... talking tiki birds and dancing ghosts and singing pirates and Indiana Jones and Star Wars and Pixar and skippers telling corny jokes about fake jungle animals and a PG-13 rated cartoon seductress in a sexy dress and atomic submarines and a 19th century steam railroad that goes past giant screeching dinosaurs and a log ride with singing chickens and a robot President giving his famous speech every 30 minutes. Plus a bunch of other stuff. And yet somehow a Star Wars land doesn't fit in there?

It's no weirder or out of place than what's already been there for the last 60 years.

George Lucas on a Bench

It's that the theme is very limiting for Disneyland. That's a huge thing for me. There ain't ever gonna be anything but Star Wars in the Star Wars Land. Meanwhile, Adventureland, Frontierland, New Orleans Square, Fantasyland and even that junkyard Tomorrowland have a wide array of attractions with seemingly no such limitations imposed by the themes of the lands. I mean, even Main Street has an opera house where you can go in and see Abe Lincoln give a speech, so you can't say it's just period idealized turn-of-the-century middle America town or whatever/whenever it's supposed to be. Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion have virtually no connection to New Orleans aside from the exteriors and the Blue Bayou Lagoon. Fantasyland has the Matterhorn, "small world" and all the animated classics from different universes. Somehow, it all works. Star Wars will just be Star Wars. A gigantic land of...just Star Wars. It doesn't fit I tell ya!

Little Green Men

DHS has the weakest lineup of attractions of any Disney park. There's only five rides in that place, and I'm amazed they get people to actually pay cash money to go in there. TDO is brilliant for pulling that off, but seriously... five rides?!? Toy Story gets them to seven. Star Wars gets them to nine. Hooray.

As for which park Star Wars "fits" in, take a look at that panoramic photo of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom above. You can see a fake Swiss Matterhorn near a fake Bryce Canyon mine train, and surrounding those two random mountains there are... talking tiki birds and dancing ghosts and singing pirates and Indiana Jones and Star Wars and Pixar and skippers telling corny jokes about fake jungle animals and a PG-13 rated cartoon seductress in a sexy dress and atomic submarines and a 19th century steam railroad that goes past giant screeching dinosaurs and a log ride with singing chickens and a robot President giving his famous speech every 30 minutes. Plus a bunch of other stuff. And yet somehow a Star Wars land doesn't fit in there?

It's no weirder or out of place than what's already been there for the last 60 years.
No argument that DHS has the weakest line-up. At-least all 5 of it's rides are pretty good, but I'm sure there will be more rides coming, even if "phase 3" doesn't happen. It's all opinion, but I personally don't think SW fits in classic DL. At-least a movie park makes sense to have SW, and I do find ST fits better at DHS than in Tomorrowland.

TP2000

This thread was set up for just construction photos and talk of them, and I sent it into a different direction with talk about why Star Wars doesn't fit in Disneyland like singing chickens do. I apologize gang! We'll keep this focused on construction photos and progress and talk of that.

My peace offering is some more photos from Monday's Dateline Disneyland report.

Quite a nice display of Caterpillar products where Circle D used to be!
DSC_7666-X2.jpg

These buildings are next to be bulldozed. On the Miceage map they released, this is roughly where the outdoor queue and X-wing fighters will sit for the "Battle Escape" attraction.
DSC_7652-X2.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

whole land that contains a Mater's clone and that coaster is nothing to crow about, and DHS deserves better.

Of course it does, but saying a ride is equivalent to Gadget's when it clearly is not is false. I'm not defending Toy Story Land, but c'mon, let's not encourage lies about what Disney is doing with the new coaster at DHS.

Phroobar

So does anyone know where the new support facilities are located? Too bad we don't get pictures of their reconstruction too. How difficult will it be for Disney to move items built in these new facilities back into the park?

dweezil78

A close up of the art work at-least shows there will be many props around the coaster like Jessie rescuing Rex off a Jenga tower.

I just hunted down the artwork so I could see it for myself. Dude, c'mon... there's better theming to be seen at the value resorts than anywhere even remotely close to viewing distance from this coaster. And even with what little the original artwork had, the new artwork makes it look like DisneySea in comparison based on how much has seemingly been stripped out!

DHS is a park that, with some exception, has gone most of its life without a substantial expansion. Why wait all this time and then skimp out so badly? They should have put Star Wars in and then moved forward with Toy Story (if they must) when the proper funds were in place rather than go what looks like a Six Flags route.

Little Green Men

I just hunted down the artwork so I could see it for myself. Dude, c'mon... there's better theming to be seen at the value resorts than anywhere even remotely close to viewing distance from this coaster. And even with what little the original artwork had, the new artwork makes it look like DisneySea in comparison based on how much has seemingly been stripped out!

DHS is a park that, with some exception, has gone most of its life without a substantial expansion. Why wait all this time and then skimp out so badly? They should have put Star Wars in and then moved forward with Toy Story (if they must) when the proper funds were in place rather than go what looks like a Six Flags route.
Well I'll say it looks better themed than Primeval Whirl/ Goofy's Flight School at the very least. We also don't know how it will end up looking, it could be better than the artwork, could be worse.

MoonRakerSCM

Two things I noted in this image-

#1) the burning cabin is still sitting there with some orange mesh fencing around it. I wonder if it will stay where it is, move, or if they'd tear it down and rebuild it elsewhere.

#2) This shot shows how depth perception can fool us in these images... Builidings in the foreground, to the berm, past the river, to the island, while the scale difference is there, it still fools me a bit when I look at these to understand where the river is/was etc.

George Lucas on a Bench

I actually walked alongside the construction last night. The walking path on Disneyland Drive is right next to the site. You can look in, for now. It's absolutely enormous. I was floored by the sheer size of the area and bummed by the fact that it's mostly becoming Star Wars Land, while listening to ''Genesis Countdown'' from James Horner's Wrath of Khan score.

Rich T

I actually walked alongside the construction last night. The walking path on Disneyland Drive is right next to the site. You can look in, for now. It's absolutely enormous. I was floored by the sheer size of the area and bummed by the fact that it's mostly becoming Star Wars Land, while listening to ''Genesis Countdown'' from James Horner's Wrath of Khan score.
Endor Sightseer, if this was all going to be Star *Trek* land, would you feel differently about all that space going to one IP, or would you still vote in favor of keeping DL closer to its design roots?
Myself, I've got mixed emotions. Would have preferred SW had ousted Autopia and the subs, but... I have to admit I'm getting more excited about the changes, assuming it lives up the concept art. 'Course it helps that I finally saw Force Awakens last week and found all my bitterness over the prequels finally washed away by the reminder of how much fun SW can be at its best...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom