News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

mickEblu

Wow. No, that's a Double Wow.

I like that you can see one of those big trees all boxed up and ready to be carted off. They've apparently saved the best of the mature trees and will replant them. That's not a cheap thing to do, but I'm glad they are doing it.

I went to Food & Wine on Monday evening and noticed there's a bunch of new and very tall trees suddenly sitting behind Luigi's Roadsters ride; they are obviously from the Rivers of America and WDI is stashing them around the perimeter of the Resort where they can add shade and interest until they get replanted in 2018.

This project is fascinating to watch, and it's only just begun!

2018? If the DLRR is up and running and the ROA is done by early to mid 2017 wouldn't they want those trees planted first ?

BrianLo

Original Poster
Another stellar week (finally more backstage buildings down)! I think we are only a matter of weeks from seeing steel. I don't know why Disneyland projects seem to move so much more consistently than Orlando... I think it's just better consistency with the local bloggers.

i-Qz7Vkv7-O.png

Last week

i-tVhdSCW-O.png

This Week

(Credit Mint Crocodile)

BrianLo

Original Poster
I find these maps amazingly helpful to orient myself. The two Red circles are the clumps of buildings that were just cleared. The green section has not been cleared yet.

Importantly, everything that has just been cleared is where the majority of the battle attraction show building will go. The green could technically stick around for another year without really affecting the timeline of the build (not that I think it will).

This is why I feel like steel is so near, both the Battle Attraction and Millennium Falcon spots are close to prepped. The show buildings always are the first things to go in.

26264537161_e9c06b439e_o.png

26330755355_e31cdfbd48_o.png

(BTW - no one ever accuse Mice Age of being dried up - these are literally the most wonderful things next to the actual blueprints).

HauntedMansionFLA

I find these maps amazingly helpful to orient myself. The two Red circles are the clumps of buildings that were just cleared. The green section has not been cleared yet.

Importantly, everything that has just been cleared is where the majority of the battle attraction show building will go. The green could technically stick around for another year without really affecting the timeline of the build (not that I think it will).

This is why I feel like steel is so near, both the Battle Attraction and Millennium Falcon spots are close to prepped. The show buildings always are the first things to go in.

(BTW - no one ever accuse Mice Age of being dried up - these are literally the most wonderful things next to the actual blueprints).
Too bad no one does this with the Orlando project.

D

Deleted member 107043

I think we are only a matter of weeks from seeing steel.

Yep. Disney announced that groundbreaking is this month, so the activity should be even more interesting by the end of April.

I just realized that when this project is done roughly half of the DLRR's route will now be inside DL rather than on the perimeter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Constance

Another stellar week (finally more backstage buildings down)! I think we are only a matter of weeks from seeing steel. I don't know why Disneyland projects seem to move so much more consistently than Orlando... I think it's just better consistency with the local bloggers.

i-Qz7Vkv7-O.png

Last week

i-tVhdSCW-O.png

This Week

(Credit Mint Crocodile)

HOLY COW! Even I can appreciate this difference!

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm actually really pleased they're removing the whole back area of MGM, but I'm still bummed by the Toy Story Land with a baby coaster and flats. DL gets the stellar Cars Land with a legit E ticket, MGM gets an expanded Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground with a Gadget's Go Coaster and spinning thing. What a disaster.

Mike S

I'm actually really pleased they're removing the whole back area of MGM, but I'm still bummed by the Toy Story Land with a baby coaster and flats. DL gets the stellar Cars Land with a legit E ticket, MGM gets an expanded Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground with a Gadget's Go Coaster and spinning thing. What a disaster.
Animal Kingdom is getting Avatar next year which looks better and better with each update. Either way I agree on Toy Story.

TP2000

i-Qz7Vkv7-O.png

Last week

i-tVhdSCW-O.png

This Week

(Credit Mint Crocodile)

Thanks again for posting these photos for us! I sometimes forget to visit that Crocodile fellow's blog.

Agreed that this was obviously a HUUUGE week for the clearing and demolition behind Disneyland. The Anaheim version of this project is moving fast and furious. But I doubt we are weeks away from structural steel. If I were a betting man, I'd guess that we'll start to see steel for the big ride warehouses in July or August.

TP2000

So, apparently I'm double thanking you tonight. I wish I had your skills to cut and paste maps and add those nifty green and red circles. They are incredibly helpful to visualize and comprehend what is happening here on the northern flanks of the park.

I keep telling myself that as a retired guy I should sign up for one of those computer classes over at the local Junior College to learn how to create maps with handy circles and add-ons like you've done here. But then I chicken out and just hope someone else makes the maps instead.

The second Miceage map is also very handy. My gosh, this whole Star Wars thing is really happening, isn't it?!?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom