Star Wars Galaxy's Edge First Impact on Stock

Surferboy567

Yes. Disney decided to open the land without its signature attraction in both parks. I know that we didn't go this year, but chose next summer when everything would open. I'm sure we aren't the only ones with that plan. By opening RotR later, it has now put a lot more preasure on the ride being great. Not good like Falcon, great. And once the land is 100% open, then you will see if the panic button needs pressing.

btw same plan here (even though the stars did align on a Disneyland trip) I did hold off booking my world trip (planned it later then normal) to ride rise.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Oh, and I almost completely forgot. Disney closed on the Fox acquisition on March 20, so most of the expenses of the write downs for sales of assets that closed in the quarter and for the shutdown and contract buyouts for redundant divisions (Like Fox2000 and the distribution channels)will be charged off in this quarter as well.

Did you not read where I did a day to day comparison for the entire month of June 2018 v 2019 in Disneyland? Did you miss where they lost millions each day in significantly lower attendance year to year? This all affected the numbers, and if you'll read more articles you'll find that the numbers projected 3 months ago for the profit per stock were significantly better than this last week.

jt04

Did you not read where I did a day to day comparison for the entire month of June 2018 v 2019 in Disneyland? Did you miss where they lost millions each day in significantly lower attendance year to year? This all affected the numbers, and if you'll read more articles you'll find that the numbers projected 3 months ago for the profit per stock were significantly better than this last week.

The Lion King 's returns will more than cover any loss. Assuming there is any. Judging by the demand for light sabers and droids I doubt the bottom line is suffering.

Surferboy567

The Lion King 's returns will more than cover any loss. Assuming there is any. Judging by the demand for light sabers and droids I doubt the bottom line is suffering.

I was also thinking this...savi’s alone makes ungodly amounts of money. What’s more I want to give it to them.

mikenatcity1

Good to hear that investing more money into making the land more compelling is on the table. I hope it’s for actual rides an not just the restaurant. More things that move is what’s needed.

Having said that, “quick expansion” sounds like spinners to me. Or “temporary” wild mice like Temple of Peril.

Hey, there’s two wild mice coasters in DAK... ripe for relocating.

😑

You say Temple of Peril and I just roll my eyes. I was so looking forward to that attraction...until I rode it last summer and said "well that was cute"...then to find out later it was meant to be temporary...of course, that was the second longest line we waited in during our visit :(

And I really hope they don't add a spinner attraction either. That was my first thought when I read "quick expansion". I am usually a total cheerleader for Disney, but some of their quick expansions make me wonder (the re-theme of a spinner type ride in DCA recently is a great example).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If Wall Street is worried, they aren't showing it. They're still riding high on news of D+ and an exit strategy of ESPN moving from cable to streaming...

Investor day was in April. And it included the warning that things will be in the red for the next few years until this all turns a profit. It'll be interesting to hear what they say about Anaheim, but one quarter in Anaheim is just a small piece of the overall company riding on the promise huge profits three years from now.

3Q webcast this coming Tuesday, Aug 6, 4:30 ET.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The early returns are that the Star Wars lands aren’t going to be a driver on the level they Probably hoped for...just from how it looks now.

We’ll never know the reasons completely and it could change.

I do find it interesting that the blame on AP blackouts in LA have Intensified over two months almost not noticing the reviews have been “tepid” at best.
Ops obviously thought those blackouts wouldn’t keep people away. And at least to a certain extent - they have.

I’m sure Disney is stressing why?...behind the scenes.

rsm

I was also thinking this...savi’s alone makes ungodly amounts of money. What’s more I want to give it to them.

If its open for 16 hours a day that's 64 slots of 15 builders X $200 each is $192,000 revenue.
Assuming 40% profit thats about $77,000 per day, or 28 million per year.
They're still better off churning out remakes.

WDW Pro

Original Poster

It Is What It Is

Mister Penguin, I agree with you, but technically the numbers you posted were before the earnings call. The call came after the bell had wrung on Wall St. After hours trading saw Disney drop five or so dollars.

Listening to a replay of the call, it sounds like the integration of Fox was tougher than believed. Galaxy's Edge numbers would have been up across the board if they hadn't kept many of the annual pass holders out to keep guest experience high.

A positive note that I haven't seen anyone mention here yet: Paris attendance was up and to my knowledge no new attractions have opened there recently.

The future looks bright, everyone should have their sunglasses at hand.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Mister Penguin, I agree with you, but technically the numbers you posted were before the earnings call. The call came after the bell had wrung on Wall St. After hours trading saw Disney drop five or so dollars.

Listening to a replay of the call, it sounds like the integration of Fox was tougher than believed. Galaxy's Edge numbers would have been up across the board if they hadn't kept many of the annual pass holders out to keep guest experience high.

A positive note that I haven't seen anyone mention here yet: Paris attendance was up and to my knowledge no new attractions have opened there recently.

The future looks bright, everyone should have their sunglasses at hand.

Here's Wall Street not knowing what to do with Disney....

That's trading today, down five, up two, down three. Traders are skittish trying to figure out how low it will go before everyone buys back in.

So is 133 bad? That's what the stock jumped to right after the D+ presentation. A 16 point jump. Two weeks later, up another seven and bouncing around there until today's drop, putting back where it was after the D+ preview.

And here's the time frame Wall Street was worrying about ESPN from one of the most successful companies in the world....

So, the stock is still riding the D+ high and no one is predicting anymore how ESPN will bankrupt Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom