Star Wars Galaxy's Edge First Impact on Stock

WDW Pro

Original Poster
So I don't normally do new threads, but I thought I would share some information with you today that I don't really know where it would go otherwise... so, let's start a new discussion.

As many of you know, Star Wars Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland did not go according to how Disney Parks was hoping. Whereas significant money was spent to implement a virtual queue system, that system was used for less than one day. Despite a 1.5 billion dollar expansion on some of Disney's most valuable acres, attendance actually dropped by more than 50% on many weekdays in the month of June 2019 versus the month of June 2018. Only one day in June 2019 beat June 2018 in attendance. Now, you all can probably figure out that there are many reasons for this significant and unforeseen drop in attendance, but the bottom line is that revenues for Disneyland were significantly hurt enough this summer that a new management plan was given to Operations called "Close the Gap" that essentially cut every possible loss of money in order to lower the financial losses. Meanwhile, work has continued on in Disney's Hollywood Studios, where the financial investment is closer to 1.1 billion, and the dynamics of the park mean it's unlikely we will see the same loss of crowds at DHS as was seen at DLR. Still, Disney has had to reverse course and offer more promotional packages to try to bolster attendance at WDW for the fall, despite the new land opening, in response to lackluster hotel bookings for that period of time.

So why does this matter to the stock? In order to understand, you have to consider that as big as the Marvel movies and the TV and the merchandise, etc, etc, all are... Disney Parks accounts for the largest revenue stream for the Walt Disney Company... by a lot. In fact, Disney Parks makes up more than 40% of all of Disney's revenue and profit. When you hear about Disney doing great with Lion King in China, remember that the vast majority of that money goes to the Chinese government. Disney Parks is where the money is. And of the Disney Parks, one spot stands alone as the big kahuna: Walt Disney World. Consider for a moment that all of Disney Parks' international parks generate a whopping profit of... wait for it... wait for it... 2 billion dollars. And almost all of that 2 billion dollar profit comes from the Japanese parks; Paris barely makes a profit any given year, and the others currently take losses on average. The vast majority of the $20,000,000,000+ revenue for Disney Parks comes from the domestic parks. And of the domestic parks, more than 70% of all revenue comes from Walt Disney World. That revenue is taxed at a mind-blowing lower number, with vastly lower overhead costs. Walt Disney World is the crown jewel in all of the Walt Disney Company's gems. Nothing comes close to the amount of money it makes for the company.

So now, in late summer of 2019, a big surprise is coming down the pike for investors. Disney's Earnings Per Share is dropping significantly, and seemingly out of the blue. Just this week it was announced that Disney had broken the yearly record for box office revenue IN JULY. So how in the world can Disney's EPS be down more than 5% and more than estimated just months ago? https://finance.yahoo.com/news/earnings-preview-walt-disney-dis-143802497.html

The answer is the domestic Disney Parks. Disneyland took a beating this summer with a 1.5 billion dollar investment not generating the crowds Disney expected. That's an issue, but the bigger issue is in Florida where a 1.1 billion dollar investment is supposed to drive massive crowds to the crown jewel in all of Disney's revenue generating quiver. And so far, that's not looking to occur in this calendar year, based on hotel bookings. And thus, EPS are beginning to drop... the first time that the Star Wars IP has had a negative impact on the valuation. You see, Disney could take a hit and lose hundreds of millions on Solo, because that's their movie side and they can absorb it better. Disney does NOT want to take the hit on the domestic parks side because Disneyland just lost millions this summer, billions have been invested for a ten year minimum ROI, and a decade+ investment cannot be so easily absorbed as a flop.

So what does all of this mean?

Well, first, Iger is aware of the potential issue with Star Wars as an IP and steps are being taken to fix it. Billions of dollars are on the line for years to come, and that's without even considering how much is riding on Star Wars driving adoption of Disney's streaming service (and there's tens of billions of dollars ANNUALLY riding on that). Chapek is aware now that things have got to change at the two Star Wars Galaxy Edge areas, although no changes are likely to be announced or determined until after January 2020. Things on the table are integration of the original trilogy, bringing in more actors (although this is expensive for DLR), and even quickly pushing out a significant financial investment in a quick expansion to boost the offerings. So whereas before I have been a bit gloomy on my predictions for Star Wars going forward, I'm actually beginning to see that things may change; because even with record movie profits, Disney's EPS is dropping and it's directly related to Star Wars. And that's what it takes to get change to happen - the money has to talk.

The money is talking. In order for Disney to get their Disney+ service off the ground, they have to take massive losses for years on years before it can become profitable. And then, if all goes according to plan, it becomes insanely profitable (https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/23/morgan-stanley-disneys-earnings-will-nearly-double-in-4-years.html). But to get there, Disney Parks and specifically Walt Disney World -- the most profitable part of Disney -- has to make the money to absorb the losses. Star Wars was supposed to get them there... and now we'll see what steps they take to make sure that's just what happens.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
One addendum to better inform you of just how much Disney is aware of the need to make changes in Galaxy's Edge:

Millenium Falcon: Smuggler's Run in Anaheim has been up and running for about 2 months. During those months it has seen very little downtime at all. Yet, despite that, it's running at 76% capacity for those two months. That means that when people have been talking about it being a walk-on later in the day, it really has been. It's only handled about 3/4 of the guests that it was designed to push through. Whereas Smuggler's Run has averaged 27,000 riders a day... It's a Small World has averaged 50,000+.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
That was a well thought out and informational post. Awesome job!
I doubt I'll be picking up Disney shares anytime soon for Mankind Corp prices but if EPS goes now a bit and the stock price tweaks downward a bit, there may be a buying opportunity coming along.

So much of Disney's stock price being worth the cost of admission depends on how Disney+ fares... and that requires a level of prognostication I don't think any of us possess.

roj2323

I think you are forgetting that a significant portion of Disney Land visitors are locals and locals tend to avoid the parks that open a hugely hyped new attraction for a few months. This is in addition to the fact that the land opened with only one ride instead of the two originally advertised. TLDR: Disneyland could not have screwed up the roll out of this land in a bigger way.

Rteetz

I think you are forgetting that a significant portion of Disney Land visitors are locals and locals tend to avoid the parks that open a hugely hyped new attraction for a few months. This is in addition to the fact that the land opened with only one ride instead of the two originally advertised. TLDR: Disneyland could not have screwed up the roll out of this land in a bigger way.
Yes and no IMO. I think Disney expected more of a non-local SW fan draw to descend on the parks. I do think a good amount of those people did travel during the reservation period though and instead of opening the flood gates with no plan like something Disney does Disneyland had lots of plans in place from the reservation period, to the now boarding system/virtual queue if they need it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Until the blackouts are lifted and RotR opens, the long term health of SW is unknown to anyone.

For this short term with low attendance at DL, they shot their own foot over that by scaring people away and raising prices and blacking out and soft opening without the headliner and not providing better streetmosphere. But Disney has experienced loss of revenue from rides/land/attractions/show not being ready before and they managed to suffer through it.

Last year at WDW, Summer and September attendance was low and WDW freaked out with cuts to streetmosphere. Then came October and they had packed crowds for the months that used to be 'dead' and ever increasing quarterly and yearly profits over that time period.

Also, the SWL's capex has already been strung out over three years and is a drop in the bucket compared to what has been spent on three new cruise ships and all the other upgrades all the parks all over the world have been getting. A few departments will freak out for not meeting budget goals, namely, DL. But don't cry too much for them since they'll still make a big profit, just not as much.

And we can't forget all the other parks that don't have an Anaheim SWL problem that are doing quite well. And the cruise lines. And the Adventures by Disney. And... well, not so much with merch any more. They're all lumped together in their Wall Street reports.

And, as mentioned, Iger's been priming Wall Street to expect shortfalls temporarily because of D+. Compared to that... the loss of revenue (but still profitable) from Anaheim will be a small blip.

Last edited:

bUU

For several years Disney has had a quarter that showed negative growth year over year. It is a natural part of the business cycle, especially after a quarter that showed 81% growth year over year.

With regard to what Disney needs to do to get Smuggler's Run's number up is let all the passholders ride without blockout restrictions. I believe that happens September 2.

180º

I still hold that opening without ROTR was detrimental, although I admit I don’t see how they could have avoided it. SWGE has had its chance in the media and unfortunately wasted it. As far as Disney’s mainstream advertising or the public is concerned, ROTR doesn’t exist and Star Wars Land is complete.

erasure fan1

Until the blackouts are lifted and RotR opens, the long term health of SW is unknown to anyone.
Yes. Disney decided to open the land without its signature attraction in both parks. I know that we didn't go this year, but chose next summer when everything would open. I'm sure we aren't the only ones with that plan. By opening RotR later, it has now put a lot more preasure on the ride being great. Not good like Falcon, great. And once the land is 100% open, then you will see if the panic button needs pressing.

Ojo4

I don't think the domestic parks could be in a worse position than they are right now. This was supposed to be the best out of WDI with the biggest budget and the response to Universal's Harry Potter success. This land was slated to be copied across several international parks but I don't see that happening without major changes. Now they've got Universal's 5 year plan encroaching on them and stealing vacation days down in Orlando, and two domestic parks that can't even keep hotel bookings up despite all this economic growth. I have no idea what Parks is going to do when the recession hits next year.

Its obvious the money is there to fix whatever the issue with the land may be - and that may be the billion dollar question, but was money really ever the issue with this land? Yes cuts to entertainment and atmosphere aren't helping, but I doubt there is anyone who sat at home and didn't book a hotel room because there wasn't enough actors roaming around... No Vader? Maybe. But I'll be shocked if they fast track any meaningful expansion beyond the sit down restaurant, that would seem like a desperate attempt to justify the investment in their virtual queue system. The whole 2 rides for a new land is par for the course for a reason and I don't see more Star Wars fixing the issue, just better Star Wars.

bUU

I still hold that opening without ROTR was detrimental
Detrimental to what? What critical business metric will be adversely affected?

I think we can say that opening without ROTR was frustrating, saddening, disappointing, etc., but detrimental? There's no reason to believe that.

Ravenclaw78

Does anyone know whether the virtual queueing system is expandable to the rest of DL and DCA? If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see them invest further in it as a FastPass replacement a la Volcano Bay.

180º

Detrimental to what? What critical business metric will be adversely affected?

I think we can say that opening without ROTR was frustrating, saddening, disappointing, etc., but detrimental? There's no reason to believe that.
Sorry, I see how that could have sounded hyperbolic. Definitely not directly detrimental to any critical business metric, but I absolutely believe that mainstream hype for the land suffered for it, as many headlines around opening leaned pretty cynical, talking about the expensive merchandise and impossible lightsaber and Cantina reservations. All overblown, I might add, but I wonder if public interest might have caught on better if those headlines were interspersed with articles about the “greatest theme park ride ever built” or something like that.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Does anyone know whether the virtual queueing system is expandable to the rest of DL and DCA? If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see them invest further in it as a FastPass replacement a la Volcano Bay.

Is it expandable? Sure. Is it practical to do so? No.

Jobacca

I dont wanna jump on the SW is in trouble/the sequels suck bandwagon,but it seems to me,as a fan,that there WILL be opportunities to update the park and work in additional characters if they want to. Why isnt there an animatronic 3PO and R2 at the droid depot that can interact with guests? Or a BB-8 rolling around(I know the puppeteering issue on the west coast)? I had originally heard that the Yoda in the lightsaber building thing was going to be a holographic force ghost type of effect instead of just a voice...having actors in costume milling around and getting into fights/interacting with each other would definitely add to the immersive feel. As much as Disney allegedly spent,it still seems like they cheaped out in certain areas and it shows...just little pluses here and there could make a big difference.

Jobacca

OK...as cheesy as this may sound....bear with me. Star Wars fans remember the Force Tree on Dagobah from EMPIRE STRIKES BACK,right? Maybe the Black Spire itself is something like that...maybe they build a ride thats like a journey thru the Force type of experience...you go into a tree and the ride takes you through the Dark Side of the Force and the Light...you encounter an animatronic Darth Vader and a Darth Maul...maybe hear the Emperor...you see scenes from the OT trilogy...then you journey back into the light and see Yoda and Obi-Wan and at the end Lukes Force Ghost gives you some parting words of wisdom as you exit back into the rest of the park. That would keep the sequel era themeing but work in the classic characters as well. I dont know...I'm sure Disney could think up something even better.

britain

Good to hear that investing more money into making the land more compelling is on the table. I hope it’s for actual rides an not just the restaurant. More things that move is what’s needed.

Having said that, “quick expansion” sounds like spinners to me. Or “temporary” wild mice like Temple of Peril.

Hey, there’s two wild mice coasters in DAK... ripe for relocating.

😑

Last edited:

scottieRoss

OK, slow down naysayers. Did anyone actually read the article that was linked as the source for the doomsday post?
I did.

Here are a few points to take
1. This is for the earnings report for Q3. April 1 to June 30. Galaxies Edge will have been open for 30 days on the limited reservation system of metering during this quarter.
2. The experts were predicting a lowered earnings of over 6%. They have revised up the earnings per share by .25%. So, the analysts are saying that they expected earnings to be down, but they do not think they will be down by as much as was expected. That's right, they expect the earnings to be better than predicted.
3. The point about box office in July has no bearing on this report. None. July is after the reporting period.

One of the reasons that lowered earnings were expected in Q3 despite increased revenue could be that analysts were expecting huge charges due to the marketing expenses for the Summer blockbusters being charged in the quarter and increased expenses in the opening of Galaxies Edge. There will be huge expenses to open the land that are not depreciated. Training, marketing, and non capital expenses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom