Star Wars Galaxy's Edge First Impact on Stock

seascape

I am still a bull as far as Disney goes. As everyone knows content is king and Disney is king of content. Fox may have problems in the short run but their assests will be used by Disney in future movies, on the streaming systems and in the parks. Disney will make billions off this purchase. Those who doubt the deal will short the stock and live to regret it. Iger knows what he is doing. Star Wars Galaxy Edge woll be a huge success as will buying Fox. Iger has not let me down so far and I expect more of tge same over the next few years.

It Is What It Is

So is 133 bad? That's what the stock jumped to right after the D+ presentation. A 16 point jump. Two weeks later, up another seven and bouncing around there until today's drop, putting back where it was after the D+ preview.
133 is great! You know, I know, and a good portion of the members here know Disney is doing great.

The ones still living in Yesterland, it seems, would have a problem with Iger even if the stock were double what it is today. Of course, they're most likely not looking at Disney as a business.

Thelazer

Look, this is what happens when you have star wars geeks in charge of the parks. They build things for THEM, not for millions of visitors who just come cause there kids want to meet Mikey and see the princesses.

Now had they built a Blippie land, or a Ryan's Toy Review land or god, ANYTHING that is RELEVANT to CURRENT kids who are 4 - 9 years old.. this would be a different story.

Maybe they should have put GE, over in Epcot, the "legacy" park for middle age adults.. it would have worked well with food and wine drunk fest.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Look, this is what happens when you have star wars geeks in charge of the parks. They build things for THEM, not for millions of visitors who just come cause there kids want to meet Mikey and see the princesses.

Good thing in the history of all the Disney theme parks that there was never an Imagineer who was a fan of an attraction they were in charge of building!!

Indy_UK

I think we'll need to give a couple of years to judge its success.

On paper it looks like attendance was 'soft' because of the annual pass blackouts. The Die hard Star Wars fans obviously decided it was either too expensive to go or they are waiting for RotR to open. I think it's the former.

May mean the demand for the Star Wars hotel won't be what they expected either. Be interesting to see. I still think GE needs the sit down restaurant and a ton more characters/ droids in the lands but after that... it's enough Star wars

tirian

Now had they built a Blippie land, or a Ryan's Toy Review land or god, ANYTHING that is RELEVANT to CURRENT kids who are 4 - 9 years old.. this would be a different story.

Maybe they should have put GE, over in Epcot, the "legacy" park for middle age adults.. it would have worked well with food and wine drunk fest.

Millions of people visit expecting to see the classics that have been advertised for nearly 50 years. The “Mickey and Princesses” obsession was created in the early 2000s by the marketing department; and today, many millennials think they’ve had the Disney experience if they’ve eaten a Magical Dole Whip in front a Magical Instagram wall, and taken a photo with a Magical CP who’s “friends with” Belle.

It’s a manufactured marketing experience instead of Walt’s vision for a comfortable, enjoyable park.

Last edited:

tirian

Here's Wall Street not knowing what to do with Disney....

View attachment 396454

That's trading today, down five, up two, down three. Traders are skittish trying to figure out how low it will go before everyone buys back in.

So is 133 bad? That's what the stock jumped to right after the D+ presentation. A 16 point jump. Two weeks later, up another seven and bouncing around there until today's drop, putting back where it was after the D+ preview.

View attachment 396455

And here's the time frame Wall Street was worrying about ESPN from one of the most successful companies in the world....

View attachment 396456

So, the stock is still riding the D+ high and no one is predicting anymore how ESPN will bankrupt Disney.
Another thing to consider:

Everyone who’s connected to the real world, and who doesn’t live in an ivory tower protected by a multi-million-dollar salary, knew SWGE would have a tough opening simply because Disney’s theme park tickets are overpriced. SW fans have expressed their disappointment in the IP choices, and it’s worth listening to those people because they’re the audience Disney expected to flood the park. But they’d also have access to Disneyland itself, plus potentially DCA, and they didn’t attend for some bigger reason than mere IP.

Theme park attendance was down everywhere, and you can read between the lines that the company knows it has finally overpriced itself because the report emphasizes “per capita” spending — the oldest trick in the book. If attendance is 3% lower, but I spend an extra $10, Disney can say per capita has increased even though there’s much less revenue and profit overall.

That’s probably the issue that spooked Wall Street, but tbh, they’re easily spooked. And at the end of the day, 3% isn’t horrible drop, considering the parks have been much too crowded (and less enjoyable) for about five years.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Theme park attendance was down everywhere, and you can read between the lines that the company knows it has finally overpriced itself because the report emphasizes “per capita” spending — the oldest trick in the book. If attendance is 3% lower, but I spend an extra $10, Disney can say per capita has increased even though there’s much less revenue and profit overall.

That's an important point.

It wasn't just SWL that was empty, it was all of DL that was light in attendance. If the only issue was that Star Wars fans weren't interested in GE, then GE would be empty and DL would have the normal Summer crowd, but it didn't.

seascape

If the reservation systen for GE is any indication, GE at WDW will prove how popular the land and IP is. Disney made one big mistake and that is opening it up at Disneyland first, especially when it wasn't complete. Disneyland is a regional park and with the blackouts most passholders couldn't go. There was no way they would be dumb enough to buy separate tickets when they can go later in the year for no extra money. Disneyland passholders pay enough and our not stupid. In the near future those who claim GE is a failure or Star Wars is not popular will have to eat their words.

tirian

If the reservation systen for GE is any indication, GE at WDW will prove how popular the land and IP is. Disney made one big mistake and that is opening it up at Disneyland first, especially when it wasn't complete. Disneyland is a regional park and with the blackouts most passholders couldn't go. There was no way they would be dumb enough to buy separate tickets when they can go later in the year for no extra money. Disneyland passholders pay enough and our not stupid. In the near future those who claim GE is a failure or Star Wars is not popular will have to eat their words.
It depends on their words. SWGE is, objectively, an IP failure as normal guests* are asking where their favorite characters are. Plus, it’s a large area with merely two rides, a tiny bar, and two small specialty shops. Entertainment and interactions were almost completely cut.

But all of that can be fixed, and WDI and Entertainment are supposedly working on corrections.

* The conversations typically go like this:
• Disney Fans who drink the Kool-Aid: “Wow! Everything is amazing because Disney said it was! Who are we to question the corporation made up of fellow humans?!”

• Disney and SW fans who are honest and objective: “It has potential, but odd IP decisions leave some gaping holes for emotional attachments—but it can be fixed.”

• Disney and SW fans who hate everything: “It’s a failure because it’s not 100% perfect IMHO.”

Typical everyday guests: “Wait, where are Luke, Leia, and Han? Where’s Darth Vader?”
^^ and THAT’s the problem WDI has created and must fix.

Last edited:

tirian

Also, anything new at WDW gets long lines, and reservations are necessary because the entire MagicBand/MyMagic+/FP+ system depends on planning your rides, food, and loo breaks 180 days in advance.

But none of this matters unless Disney admits it has finally gotten greedy and overpriced its parks and especially its hotels. Guests can’t keep maxing out credit cards forever.

Based on the Wall Street report, I think many of us WDW fans suspect Disneyland’s SWGE woes stemmed from blackouts and overpriced day tickets — not because the normal population revolted against the brand.

seascape

Also, anything new at WDW gets long lines, and reservations are necessary because the entire MagicBand/MyMagic+/FP+ system depends on planning your rides, food, and loo breaks 180 days in advance.

But none of this matters unless Disney admits it has finally gotten greedy and overpriced its parks and especially its hotels. Guests can’t keep maxing out credit cards forever.

Based on the Wall Street report, I think many of us WDW fans suspect Disneyland’s SWGE woes stemmed from blackouts and overpriced day tickets — not because the normal population revolted against the brand.
I know I am buying a Lightsaber and my wife might too. We will also buy at least 2 Droids. Will I charge them? Yes. But I charge everything and pay my bill every couple days. I go online and check my charges almost every day. So are Disney's prices high? Yes. Do most people go into debt to take their annual vacation? No. most people pay their credit card in full every month. I am unusual because I spend a ton every month but get a bill with a zero balance.

It Is What It Is

Tirian, you can listen to the earnings call online if you want, google it. Attendance would have been up if those who hold the lower tiered annual passes hadn't been blocked out at Disneyland. That was done so the park wasn't overcrowded. In hindsight, they realize they were sending a stay away, its going to be crowded message to everyone. Listening to the call, it sounds like they learned something from their misstep.

Florida attendance is down because, it is suspected, that people are waiting to see Galaxy's Edge.

Paris attendance was up and they won't have their GE for quite a few years.

On ticket pricing: Disney is supposed to be greedy, they are a business. Even the price of a Ticket Book under Walt went up over time.

On being subjective about SWGE: In 1977, I was around to see Star Wars. I'm old. Everything I see online suggests that Galaxy's Edge is a success and I'm not bummed that I don't get to see Luke, Leia or Han.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Walt Disney Co
137.89 USD +3.03 (2.25%)
Closed: Aug 8, 6:03 PM EDT

On the second day after Disney announces they missed their target, up, up they go! Well done Bob!

The stock is now at exactly where it was three days ago...

So much for some trying to spin a narrative of woe based on "the market."

tirian

I think we'll need to give a couple of years to judge its success.

On paper it looks like attendance was 'soft' because of the annual pass blackouts. The Die hard Star Wars fans obviously decided it was either too expensive to go or they are waiting for RotR to open. I think it's the former.

May mean the demand for the Star Wars hotel won't be what they expected either. Be interesting to see. I still think GE needs the sit down restaurant and a ton more characters/ droids in the lands but after that... it's enough Star wars
That hotel will print money.

tirian

Re: APs, I’ve said that repeatedly. And as a creative consultant/analyst — and a very successful one, too — I realize my posts are going to be full of pros and cons, and I caution against cherry-picking the cons and ignoring the larger message.

Bottom line: SWGE has creative issues that the company itself has recognized, even if some fans do not, but the overall attendance issues were due to AP blackouts and overpriced day tickets—facts that Iger stated in his call.

As @MisterPenguin and I have pointed out, low-level APs are blocked every summer, and tourists have been visiting DL long before SWGE. Disney knows what attendance to expect for DL itself, regardless of SWGE. Those numbers didn’t materialize in California this year, and the company suspects that was due to fears of SW crowds, expensive tickets, and jacked-up hotel rates.

That would have little long-term bearing on the stock price, and Wall Street typically overreacts, and of course the stock would rebound. It’s certainly not a case for a doom-and-gloom scenario.

Now if we REALLY want to start some controversy, we could discuss how Disney+ isn’t launching with the full library of content the public expected, and how the Hulu/ESPN/Disney+ package is supposed to offset the disappointment. ;)

tirian

Investors are shaking in their boots at the poor performance of Disney...

If you think this is fun, check out online forums that are more DL-centric. They’re convinced the company is going to collapse based on SWGE. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom