News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Disney Analyst

Oh cool ya that’s what I meant by simulator. I guess without a screen, is a simulator still a simulator? Anyway, that’s good to hear.

I think the difference between moving base and pulling into an actual simulator is the end moment is a system like Falcon or Star Tours?

I’m not sure the mechanics of the moving bases used on the tram tour on Kong etc.

TP2000

Chapek GE Interview 🙃
When asked about the possibility of creatures and droids roaming the land, Chapek says Galaxy’s Edge will grow over time and add elements, but he also comments that it already has more characters than any other land because each Cast Member has their own backstory.
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/art...rs-galaxys-edge-opening-at-walt-disney-world/

This man may be a brilliant merchandiser, but he also appears to be an idiot. He obviously had a corporate communications team create that answer among a series of "talking points" to counter any criticism, as any big company does for its senior execs going before the masses.

But he's an idiot for thinking that 95% of people hearing that answer don't see right through it and recognize it as BS. Only an idiot would say something like that out loud and expect people to believe it.

The dopiest part of Chapek's approach is the CMs have created back stories about themselves, but who cares about it? People go there and to meet the characters they know. It seems a bit meh to hear the guy selling you a blue milk isn't Kyle from Tustin; he's Ky'le from.....Batuu, I guess. Because they all are.

Bingo! And that's assuming that Kyle from Tustin isn't bored and worried about his Algebra test tomorrow and actually wants to be Ky'le from Batuu when he's counting your change. When I was there in late June, the CM's seemed bored and out of character. I can't imagine it's improving as time goes on.

In other news that proves Disneyland's summer curse is extending to WDW as summer heads to a close, there's a Category 3 hurricane headed to central Florida for the opening weekend of Star Wars Land. Surprise! :oops:

WATCH_Hurricane_Dorian_cone_models_1567020993851_22216714_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

Last edited:

BrianLo

Something buried in one of the videos:

Rey and BB8 are indeed in a pre-pre-pre show.

Nien Nunb and Lando also join the ride/pre-pre show transport element (which supposedly also has a motion base)... so MiceChat circa once upon a time were officially sort of right about the whole you’ll get on and off and on ride vehicles.

Kylo and General Huxley.

Plus the storm troopers, extensive time with the R5 unit...

Throw in the waterfall and hopefully a John Williams score and it’s literally everything people were missing and asking for.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Just watched the Florida GE dedication and they had a CM in a very impressive Hondo costume talking to the crowd. Of course, this will never be repeated for the regular guests. Seems like a miss, since a regular complaint is that most guests don't know or care about Hondo. So why not have him interacting with crowds? Just have him walk across the land telling people he needs crew members and to meet him at the Transport Solutions building. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 402809
because that would make too much sense and because of a person who loves money named CHEAPEK.

smooch

I want Chapek to use this excuse of the Cast Members being the characters in other parts of the park. Someone is with their child in Fantasyland and wants to meet a princess? Sorry, we already have characters, talk to Tiffany who is loading you into your flying pirate ship, she has her own backstory about how she was born into a lower class within the kingdom and was made to load the commoners roaming the kingdom into their ships or whatever. Or that John operating Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is actually just an employee at a medieval car rental company (not an oxymoron or anything haha) getting everyone into their cars as fast as possible.

wildphantom

I would've liked it better if it they took the Star Wars out of the name and just called it Galaxy's Edge or Outerland or something. Then I could think of it as an original planet that happens to have some Star Wars in it rather than a land supposed to represent the Star Wars franchise.

I’ve been a massive Star Wars fan my entire life and went to GE last week.
Not only did it feel like I was in Star Wars, but I found the negativity I’ve read on this forum for months to be laughable in the end.

It always says something to me when people negative about something continue to post day after day about it. Like an obsession.

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinion and all that, but I thought it was sensational.

Many of my favourite Disney park moments I’ve ever had occurred in that land last week. It’s wonderful.

bryanfze55

View attachment 403124
SR was 300 min. right before the open at DHS. Anyway, I just figured people might be curious...

I saw that this morning on Twitter.

I always figured SW:GE would be more popular at DHS and that people calling the land a “failure” were being preemptive. The reason crowds didn’t go to DL is because Disney made several operational decisions to reduce crowds at DL and also just because fewer people go to DL than WDW, particularly tourists (their loss, IMO).

bryanfze55

Can’t believe park with 7 rides has massive line for new ride. Definitely a success!

Well, there is that. But in any case, I think whether or not something is a “success” is objective, because it should be judged based on its thematic elements and such rather than wait time. Slinky Dog Dash still gets wait times north of 120 minutes pretty regularly... I wouldn’t consider it a pinnacle of Imagineering, though.

trainplane3

Well, there is that. But in any case, I think whether or not something is a “success” is objective, because it should be judged based on its thematic elements and such rather than wait time. Slinky Dog Dash still gets wait times north of 120 minutes pretty regularly... I wouldn’t consider it a pinnacle of Imagineering, though.
Slinky? Try the 5 year old 7 Dwarfs and it's average 1+ hour wait. Sitting at an hour around 10:30am. There's always a demand for something in WDW. Except Stitch's Great Escape. And Imagination.

Magenta Panther

Something buried in one of the videos:

Rey and BB8 are indeed in a pre-pre-pre show.

Nien Nunb and Lando also join the ride/pre-pre show transport element (which supposedly also has a motion base)... so MiceChat circa once upon a time were officially sort of right about the whole you’ll get on and off and on ride vehicles.

Kylo and General Huxley.

Plus the storm troopers, extensive time with the R5 unit...

Throw in the waterfall and hopefully a John Williams score and it’s literally everything people were missing and asking for.

No Han Solo, no Leia, no Luke, so....yeah. NO.

Ismael Flores

View attachment 403124
SR was 300 min. right before the open at DHS. Anyway, I just figured people might be curious...

somehow i think this would have been the case for several days here in ANaheim if TDA hadnt over estimated crowd control.

everyone keeps saying the land was a failure but they ignore the fact that the land had a whole minth of reservations that was completely booked before the full opening.

The low crowds in Anaheim are not just affecting the SWGE new addition but the whole resort so that should obviously tell us that there is something else happening besides the land supposedly being unpopular.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom