News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

bryanfze55

The narrative on Star Wars Land will dramatically shift within 24 hours. Just curious what this will mean for Anaheim.

I don’t think it means much. Disney knows DL is primarily a locals’ park, and they went out of the way to keep locals out of DL for the summer.

Disney knows that DL still needs investment, though, because you need to keep the interest of the local fan base, especially given the price increases year after year.

TDA invests more in keeping their parks fresh than TDO does... precisely because TDO knows half of its visitors at any given time are one and done.

planodisney

somehow i think this would have been the case for several days here in ANaheim if TDS hadnt iver estimated crowd control.

everyone keeps saying the land was a failure but they ignore the fact that the land had a whole minth of reservations that was completely booked before the full opening
I couldn’t agree with you more!
The problem is that the narrative has been written for Anaheim because
1. TDA should have had a traditional rollout
2. Online Disney critics couldn’t wait to pounce and declare it a failure, and Disney gave them the ammunition and loaded the gun for them.

planodisney

I don’t think it means much. Disney knows DL is primarily a locals’ park, and they went out of the way to keep locals out of DL for the summer.

Disney knows that DL still needs investment, though, because you need to keep the interest of the local fan base, especially given the price increases year after year.

TDA invests more in keeping their parks fresh than TDO does... precisely because TDO knows half of its visitors at any given time are one and done.
Then could you please ask them to spend some of that maintenance/freshening up money on fixing Indiana Jones, the lights in the launch tunnel and the asteroid on Space Mountain, keeping lighting and animatronics working on Splash Mountain ......
😉

bryanfze55

Then could you please ask them to spend some of that maintenance/freshening up money on fixing Indiana Jones, the lights in the launch tunnel and the asteroid on Space Mountain, keeping lighting and animatronics working on Splash Mountain ......
😉

Ha, all fair points. But I’d still rather have a semi-functional Indiana Jones Adventure than a semi-functional Dinosaur lol.

DanielBB8

DHS is still expecting Rise of Resistance and Mickey's Runaway Railway to open. This will alleviate lines to MF. Tower of Terror is already very short for a marque attraction, but the park is still short at least 10 more attractions that aren't filler B-Ticket exhibits or shows. At the rate they adding and removing attractions, they aren't making much progress to expand their park capacity, thus lines will continue to be long.

Maybe the Tron attraction will finally make the Dwarf's coaster have shorter lines.

truecoat

DHS is still expecting Rise of Resistance and Mickey's Runaway Railway to open. This will alleviate lines to MF. Tower of Terror is already very short for a marque attraction, but the park is still short at least 10 more attractions that aren't filler B-Ticket exhibits or shows. At the rate they adding and removing attractions, they aren't making much progress to expand their park capacity, thus lines will continue to be long.

Maybe the Tron attraction will finally make the Dwarf's coaster have shorter lines.

And TOT is down half a shaft. Refurbing one side at a time so there's that loss of ride capacity

TP2000

It's now late afternoon in DHS on Day 1. Here are the park's wait times for it's entire roster of 7 rides....

Millennium Falcon - 105 Minutes
Slinky Dog Dash - 55 Minutes
Alien Swirling Saucers, Rock N' Roller Coaster, Midway Mania - 30 Minutes
Star Tours - 15 Minutes
Tower of Terror - 10 Minutes

Meanwhile, at Disneyland in early afternoon three months after Star Wars Land opened...

Millennium Falcon - 45 Minutes

Disneyland Park has 36 other rides currently in the 5 to 60 minute range. There are 20 additional rides 100 yards to the south at Disney California Adventure.

smooch

No Han Solo, no Leia, no Luke, so....yeah. NO.

Honestly this is the only reason I hate that they are making Batuu act as Star Wars canon. I don't care that we are on Batuu in specific, I don't hate that they are putting it set in the timeline of the sequel trilogy because I hate the characters of the sequels, I hate that we don't have characters from all the trilogies. I want to be able to walk arounf my theme park land and see young Luke and Leia and Han and Chewie and Darth Vader as well as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan along with Kylo and Rey. I will never understand the creative decision to make a land full of screaming children and tourists considered canon in a movie series about space wizards and thus limiting what they can put in the parks from the movies.

The narrative on Star Wars Land will dramatically shift within 24 hours. Just curious what this will mean for Anaheim.

I think all the tourists in WDW will say how amazing Galaxy's Edge is but also complain that RotR isn't open for a few more months but it will not be called a ghost town or failure like it was at DLR. I think in DLR, with locals coming back from blackouts the park will become busier but it will not necessarily maintain the crowds it will initially experience from locals finally being able to come to the land with their APs. Once they see the land, try the foods, and ride the Falcon, I don't see them coming back due to what has been said over and over: that Galaxy's Edge is like a giant shopping mall. $200 glowsticks (that I would love to go build), $100 droids, and many other collectibles worth hundreds in the stores, and the food and drinks in the restaurants and cantina are the only things to do once you ride the Falcon. I think, as everyone has said, we need to wait for RotR to get a more "final" verdict on the land but even then Disney is still going to need to make changes over time to adapt to the crowd reception.

TP2000

I should also note that while DHS has 7 rides, and Disneyland Park has 37, there are also about 30,000 walk-around characters at Disneyland Resort that each have their own backstory, according to Bob Chapek

At WDW Resort, they have over 70,000 walk-around characters that each have their own backstory.

So probably people aren't waiting in a 4 hour line for the Falcon ride on opening day because they are interacting with all of the characters and learning about their backstories. It can be overwhelming to the average tourist, but it really pulls you into the story! Immersive!
  • Linda from Tallahassee passing out 3D glasses at MuppetVision who just switched up her diabetes meds.
  • Carl from Daytona bringing more Cokes to the Toy Story Land drinks cart who had the cafeteria chicken strips for lunch.
  • Lulu from Savannah working at Tatooine Traders who has 8 different hummingbird feeders on her patio.
  • Britnee from Chattanooga at the Falcon ride who is supposed to be watching the Single Ride line but keeps flirting with Blake from Tampa, because if you saw what Blake looks like you wouldn't blame Britnee one bit.
And 70,000 more! It's all just so immersive! Who needs an E Ticket attraction?

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

It's now late afternoon in DHS on Day 1. Here are the park's wait times for it's entire roster of 7 rides....

Star Tours - 15 Minutes

Meanwhile, at Disneyland in early afternoon three months after Star Wars Land opened...

Disneyland Park has 36 other rides currently in the 5 to 60 minute range. There are 20 additional rides 100 yards to the south at Disney California Adventure.

“...entire roster of 7 rides...”

You’re soooo petty, TP.😂

TP2000

“...entire roster of 7 rides...”

You’re soooo petty, TP.😂

I am petty. But also very accurate. 🧐

But honestly, it's part of the story here. DHS has the weakest lineup of rides and attractions of any Disney theme park anywhere, maybe tied with Disney Studios Paris. So you would think that the opening day of Star Wars Land and a brand new E Ticket would overwhelm that small and weak theme park. Apparently that didn't happen.

Compared to the Falcon demand amongst the massive capacity of Disneyland Park, with the highest overall ride capacity of any Disney theme park anywhere, the results are quite interesting.

I said this a few weeks ago, but we really need to wait a few weeks to see what happens. What things are like on Saturday, September 21st for example. The hurricane destroying the big opening holiday weekend in Orlando is going to make it even more difficult to determine what's happening, but even without a hurricane we'd need to wait a few weeks to see how the crowds flow.

As of late afternoon on the first day however, things seem to be playing out quite differently than we'd expected for DHS.

Professortango1

Star Tours - 15 Minutes

And people look confused when I say DHS is a 1/4 day park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom