News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Old Mouseketeer

No particular order:

-Indiana Jones (DL and TDS)
-Sinbad (TDS)
-Haunted Mansion
-Winnie the Pooh (TDL)
-POTC (SDL)

To make clear though the list always shifts here and there but these are my usual top favorites worldwide.

I'm curious where you place Mystic Manor (HKDL), Tron Coaster, Flight of Passage, Soarin', Ratatouille,
are you combining those?
if not, what did you notice with the end of the ticket books?

sorry, mom... it's an interesting fishhook!
:p

I noticed several things. There was a deterioration of the pace of enjoying the park. Instead of pacing the visit based on how many tickets (especially E tickets), passports led to families running from ride to ride to cram in as many as they could. There was less time spent perusing the quaint shops in NO Square and Main St. or enjoying smaller entertainment offerings. When I was young, we would buy senior admission tickets for my grandparents when they visited from Oklahoma. Today, we wouldn't pay $150 each for them to sit on a park bench, ride the train, Mark Twain, Carousel of Progress, Lincoln, and Circlevision.

It was an essential change in the culture of Disneyland and Magic Kingdom (coinciding with the opening of EPCOT). But they're making money hand over fist.

fctiger

I'm curious where you place Mystic Manor (HKDL), Tron Coaster, Flight of Passage, Soarin', Ratatouille,

I never been on Ratouille yet or the Flight of Passage (Haven't been to WDW in over a decade). But Mystic Manor would definitely fall somewhere in my top 10. The Tron coaster is a LOT of fun and easily the best ride in SDL after Pirates but I doubt I would put it in the top 10 but its a great ride. Soarin Over California was easily in my top 10 but I feel Soarin Over the World has less impact because its a lot of great locations but the CGI is too obvious in places.

smile

I noticed several things. There was a deterioration of the pace of enjoying the park. Instead of pacing the visit based on how many tickets (especially E tickets), passports led to families running from ride to ride to cram in as many as they could. There was less time spent perusing the quaint shops in NO Square and Main St. or enjoying smaller entertainment offerings. When I was young, we would buy senior admission tickets for my grandparents when they visited from Oklahoma. Today, we wouldn't pay $150 each for them to sit on a park bench, ride the train, Mark Twain, Carousel of Progress, Lincoln, and Circlevision.

It was an essential change in the culture of Disneyland and Magic Kingdom (coinciding with the opening of EPCOT). But they're making money hand over fist.

great insight - thank you!

TP2000

Our favorite lady blogger heads into Independence Day week with a Star Wars update that starts with the Sailing Ship Columbia.

Disneyland's Columbia, an almost exact replica of the original Columbia which was the first American-flagged vessel to circle the globe before our young nation even dreamed of a global Navy, is truly one of the "hard facts that created America" that Walt mentions in his opening day speech for Disneyland. One of those things that only exists at Disneyland USA, because... Walt.

Curious Constance

Our favorite lady blogger heads into Independence Day week with a Star Wars update that starts with the Sailing Ship Columbia.

Disneyland's Columbia, an almost exact replica of the original Columbia which was the first American-flagged vessel to circle the globe before our young nation even dreamed of a global Navy, is truly one of the "hard facts that created America" that Walt mentions in his opening day speech for Disneyland. One of those things that only exists at Disneyland USA, because... Walt.

To be honest, I'm much more interested in updates from our favorite, lady neighbor. Bake her something for crying out loud!

Old Mouseketeer

Don't confuse company hype with historical fact. DL's Columbia is nowhere close to being an exact replica of Columbia Rediviva because no plans of the original or refurbished ship exist. There are a couple of engravings and there are plans of comparable contemporary vessels. DL's replica is a decent approximation and very well executed for what it is. It is an inspiring and under-appreciated piece of Disneyland in the age of Walt. But far from exact.

TROR

Don't confuse company hype with historical fact. DL's Columbia is nowhere close to being an exact replica of Columbia Rediviva because no plans of the original or refurbished ship exist. There are a couple of engravings and there are plans of comparable contemporary vessels. DL's replica is a decent approximation and very well executed for what it is. It is an inspiring and under-appreciated piece of Disneyland in the age of Walt. But far from exact.
It's as exact a replica as DHS's Galaxy's Edge is of Disneyland's. Close, but smaller.

SuddenStorm

Gonna play off this a little bit with some of my own commentary.

I've always thought that the hard facts line in the opening address is a bit more for show then an actual guide, in the same way a film will be "inspired by true events"

The frontier as depicted in Disneyland isn't an accurate depiction of the American frontier, but a romanticized depiction of the 1950s perception of the American frontier- which was heavily influenced by the westerns of that era. The Golden Horseshoe was almost a direct ripoff of the saloon in Calamity Jane, a Fox film (not even Disney *gasp*)- and much of the building facades feel more like the set of a western film, then an actual depiction of the American frontier.

I've seen folks elsewhere suggest that Frontierland wasn't influenced by film or IP (I once got into an argument elsewhere on whether Davy Crockett that was referenced in Frontierland was a reference to the Disney character, or the historical figure.), claiming it to be far more historically minded then it is- citing, which is something that's always bothered me about the way some people romanticize Walt and park history. That somehow Walt was above corporate and brand synergy.

So yes, while Disney likes to talk about how awesome it is that there's a replica of the Columbia, it's far more accurate to say that it's a romanticized approximation of the Columbia, less grounded in history then I've seen the Disney corporation suggest- and that Disney perhaps should have said "soft facts" or "romanticized idealization" in the opening address.

D

Deleted member 107043

I've always thought that the hard facts line in the opening address is a bit more for show then an actual guide, in the same way a film will be "inspired by true events"

The frontier as depicted in Disneyland isn't an accurate depiction of the American frontier, but a romanticized depiction of the 1950s perception of the American frontier- which was heavily influenced by the westerns of that era. The Golden Horseshoe was almost a direct ripoff of the saloon in Calamity Jane, a Fox film (not even Disney *gasp*)- and much of the building facades feel more like the set of a western film, then an actual depiction of the American frontier.

I've seen folks elsewhere suggest that Frontierland wasn't influenced by film or IP (I once got into an argument elsewhere on whether Davy Crockett that was referenced in Frontierland was a reference to the Disney character, or the historical figure.), claiming it to be far more historically minded then it is- citing, which is something that's always bothered me about the way some people romanticize Walt and park history. That somehow Walt was above corporate and brand synergy.

So yes, while Disney likes to talk about how awesome it is that there's a replica of the Columbia, it's far more accurate to say that it's a romanticized approximation of the Columbia, less grounded in history then I've seen the Disney corporation suggest- and that Disney perhaps should have said "soft facts" or "romanticized idealization" in the opening address.

The original fact based concepts that formed the inspiration for Tomorrowland and Frontierland are perfect examples of how poorly equipped an entertainment company like Disney is to portray serious topics in a theme park intended for a mass audience. I admire Walt's ambition, but Disneyland has proven to be a far better vehicle for delivering fantasy to the public than it has been at telling "hard facts".

fctiger

Frontierland always strike me as an overly romanticized view of how a white person looked at it back then, no offense to anyone here. But I'm sure everyone not white during that time wouldn't have viewed it so stirring and heartfelt. But its a theme park for people to take pictures with oversize foam head characters, not a museum. You enjoy it for what it is and pick up your FP for BTM.

fctiger

The original fact based concepts that formed the inspiration for Tomorrowland and Frontierland are perfect examples of how poorly equipped an entertainment company like Disney is to portray serious topics in a theme park intended for a mass audience. I admire Walt's ambition, but Disneyland has proven to be a far better vehicle for delivering fantasy to the public than it has been at telling "hard facts".

Agreed! And why I have no problem with something like SWL going in because for me its the fantasy stuff I like in the park. I tend to overlook all the American stuff in there. I mean its fine for what it is but none of that draw me to the park anymore than California drive me to DCA. But the park doesn't really focus on American history so it makes it easier to just see it as a fun movie set type experience and don't think about it anymore than that. The 'hard facts' leave out a lot of facts of America a place like DL probably shouldn't touch anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom