News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

SpectreJordan

That’s the thing about Star Wars though, it is so expansive and there are so many locals and planets, and they chose this never heard of before planet and gave it no kinetic energy and it’s really just a humid more built up Tattooine (with no sand, it gets everywhere).

They then replicated the “No one’s ever heard of trope” for the entirety of the Starcruiser. Why? Because they were so afraid of breaking “canon” that they wanted everything to be new and be connected to everytbing aside from the other way around.

Outside of the placemaking, Universals team members give literally 0 effort to making you think you are really there.
It's bizarre how they went so far down the "canon" hole with Star Wars. But then none of the Marvel rides make sense canon wise within the MCU. Hell, Avengers Campus itself doesn't as you can see dead characters & characters that debuted after their death within a couple minutes of eachother lmao

MagicHappens1971

It's bizarre how they went so far down the "canon" hole with Star Wars. But then none of the Marvel rides make sense canon wise within the MCU. Hell, Avengers Campus itself doesn't as you can see dead characters & characters that debuted after their death within a couple minutes of eachother lmao
Two separate “rules” they created. Lucasfilm has a strong grip on WDI/Parks for their proprieties and Marvel was just like “welcome to the Marvel Theme Park Universe”

SpectreJordan

To take this a step further -- while Universal nailed Diagon Alley, they actually botched Hogwarts! You see the exterior and a small part of the interior as the queue for a ride.

As you said, it's central to the narrative and by far the most important setting. It's somewhat understandable that they didn't go all-in when they built Hogsmeade originally, as Hogwarts would have been more expensive/harder to do well, and they didn't know how big of a success it would be. Now, though, it feels crazy that they aren't building Hogwarts as the HP area in Epic Universe.

As for Star Wars -- Naboo is probably the only planet that A. featured heavily in one of the films and is thus recognizable, B. is visually interesting beyond just desert/forest/etc., and C. is not completely infeasible to build (Coruscant, e.g., would be amazing but is not achievable). Naboo is just kind of a vague mashup of Byzantine and Baroque (i.e. not really unique), though, and was never going to be an option for multiple other reasons.

Disney didn't really have any great choices in terms of pulling from the movies for a specific, immersive setting. While I think Galaxy's Edge is relatively disappointing overall, I'm not sure what else they could have done in terms of the location.
I don't see how they could've feasibly done Hogwarts. Hogwarts is a massive place; I don't think we'd ever get that recreated in a theme park. I think the queue is a fantastic way to get to "be" in Hogwarts.
Thankfully, the Imagineers designed RotS to be easily skinned. There is very little inside the ride that actually hard ties it to the ST - they could easily change it over to the OT by: swapping out the helmets on the Stormtroopers, replacing the Kylo costumes with Darth Vader (they wouldn't even need to change the AA's out), switch Hux over to Tarkin, and replace the Rey hologram with Leia (the original intention to begin with). Boom, pretty much it.

If we are lucky, they would also rework the hangar scene (new heads on the AT-AT's) and add Luke, Leia, Han, 3PO, and R2 to the ride as AA's as well...but I'm not counting on that, LOL. I do think we will see the above at least, likely in the next few years.
Eh, not exactly. They may appear similar at a glance but there's a lot of differences that would require alot more effort to change over. Casual fans might not care, but hardcore fans would & Disney should strive for accuracy.

Imperial designs are a bit more clunky & full of grays. First Order designs are a lot more sleek.

Imperial
1.jpg

3.jpg

00c6744a6cedd3886a1519e2017a025e.jpg

Vs

First Order
12 2.jpg

FO Hangar 1.png

2.png

UNCgolf

I don't see how they could've feasibly done Hogwarts. Hogwarts is a massive place; I don't think we'd ever get that recreated in a theme park. I think the queue is a fantastic way to get to "be" in Hogwarts.

I'm not suggesting they should build the entire castle, which definitely wouldn't be doable. But they could easily do stuff like a QS restaurant in the great hall and something that involves the common rooms for the different houses.

Now it's possible JK Rowling wouldn't allow it, in which case Universal doesn't have any choice, but if they weren't at least pushing for some more Hogwarts locations at Epic Universe they're crazy.

SpectreJordan

I'm not suggesting they should build the entire castle, which definitely wouldn't be doable. But they could easily do stuff like a QS restaurant in the great hall and something that involves the common rooms for the different houses.

Now it's possible JK Rowling wouldn't allow it, in which case Universal doesn't have any choice, but if they weren't at least pushing for some more Hogwarts locations at Epic Universe they're crazy.
Yeah, the Great Hall restaurant is a good idea. That's the one major thing missing from the queue IMO.

Rich Brownn

Since the exterior of the Wizarding World in Epic is Paris, that would be a bit difficult.

Screamface

Oh the horror! :rolleyes: you do realize that ahsoka already faced and held her own against Vader in Rebels right? Nothing about Vader is being weakened, and not everything has some agenda.

You talk with such distain for my lack of knowledge of a children's show that came out while I'm an adult.

I made no such comment on an agenda. I merely pointed out what the "creative mindset" at Disney does. You've just told me I am correct in my prediction.

SamusAranX

You talk with such distain for my lack of knowledge of a children's show that came out while I'm an adult.

I made no such comment on an agenda. I merely pointed out what the "creative mindset" at Disney does. You've just told me I am correct in my prediction.
*disdain

Rebels is not just a childrens show. It's a genuinely good show that added alot to Star Wars lore.

And in a roundabout way, you said Disney has an agenda, to weaken the villainy of Vader. Disney has done alot to damage Star Wars, but weakening Vader is not it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I think they are using the multi-verse to justify that.

AEfx

And in a roundabout way, you said Disney has an agenda, to weaken the villainy of Vader. Disney has done alot to damage Star Wars, but weakening Vader is not it.

It boggles my mind that someone would say that, especially given that under Disney, they have done the exact opposite. I mean, Vader ruthlessly, methodically killed more people on-screen in the closing scene of Rogue One than had ever died directly on screen, period, in the entire OT (where Vader largely just shoved a few people around with the Force - he didn't even kill Obi-Wan).

If one wants to talk about weakening Vader, that credit goes entirely to George Lucas - it's the whole reason he made the PT to begin with. He even admitted to it at one point - that he felt bad about putting such an evil character into the world, after becoming a father himself, and that's why the PT was turned from Obi-wan's story into Anakin's story.

It's just wholly factually and historically inaccurate to say otherwise.

UNCgolf

Since the exterior of the Wizarding World in Epic is Paris, that would be a bit difficult.

That was my point -- the HP area in Epic should have been Hogwarts. Even some really big HP fans don't care about the Ministry of Magic in Paris.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
That and the derisive dismissal of Rebels as a "childrens show". Yes, children can watch and enjoy, but it's a genuinely good show that many adult fans of the franchise have watched and appreciated.

Rebels when first launched was more youth focused and that generalization (for both style and content) is not misplaced. But the show evolved and eventually became an important part of key character arcs that are now high profile. In it's time, s1 of rebels was not setup to be this central piece of the SW universe. It evolved, and became more crucial AND more mature. Bad Batch has similarities, tho not nearly as extreme of change over it's course. But should really be required watching for any fan.

some other guy

space aladdin and his kids' show lets people tank a blaster at point blank range with a couple of space cantaloupes as armor
it has no value to discuss any concerns about power levels or anything

kingdead

The thing is, we're talking about a theme park. You should be able to walk in the gate with a very basic knowledge of Star Wars and come away saying you've had a good time. Especially with such a massively popular IP! Of course superfans will get more out of it but you should never feel excluded for not knowing the mystic lore, much less not having the right opinions on it, whatever those are!

It's a park with rides and landscaping, not the actual Jedi Temple.

FettFan

Hate to think if Vader appeared at the series finale of this show...😳
FxeH3-OXoAAXxDe.jpg:large

business idea GIF

Ron Swanson Smile GIF

Well, Marvel can kind of roll with it thanks to the multiverses established with Loki, Dr. Strange, and ‘What If…”.

Which gives me hope that there’s a cinematic MODOK out there that doesn’t suck.

quantumania-modok-ant-man-marvel-corey-stoll-900x506.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom