News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

TrainsOfDisney

Avengers Campus itself doesn't as you can see dead characters & characters that debuted after their death within a couple minutes of eachother lmao
Exactly. And nobody cares. It’s a theme park, we are here to have fun!
Lucasfilm has a strong grip on WDI/Parks for their proprieties
Lucasfilm is owned by Disney, they have no actual grip on anything.

MagicHappens1971

Lucasfilm is owned by Disney, they have no actual grip on anything.
I don’t know how the actual internal politics work, but I can tell you that Lucasfilm itself is very controlling of their IPs. (While yes the IPs belong to Disney technically)

I agree that it’s strange… I wish I knew more about how it works.

UNCgolf

Since Hogwarts, Hogsmede and Diagon already exist, they want something new for Epic. The ride itself takes place in the London MoM thanks to the floo network, but the exterior and show are Paris.

I'm aware of all of that -- I'm simply saying it's a mistake. Again, though, it could be a JK Rowling directive and out of Universal's hands.

It makes zero sense to have hogwarts content in two locations. This HP fan cares and wants continuity.

It's a theme park, and the area at Epic Universe isn't going to be connected like Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are. Of course there's nothing wrong with you feeling that way, but you are absolutely in a small minority. I feel very confident that most HP fans would prefer to see more of Hogwarts, and it would be a much, much bigger draw for guests.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

It makes zero sense to have hogwarts content in two locations. This HP fan cares and wants continuity.
Then riddle me this..How is it that Dumbledore is dead when your at Gringotts and then you take train to Hogsmeade to go to Forbidden Journey only to find out he's alive...

This is from the Tropes website
The ride takes place during Deathly Hallows, and numerous news posts in the queue indicate Dumbledore's death and Harry's fugitive status. This can be confusing if you ride this attraction before Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, in which a living Dumbledore features prominently

welp.gif

It only makes sense from the opposite direction and it's confusing if your coming from the other way..

Last edited:

FettFan

Nintendo is allegedly next. There's a rumor that the Lost Continent at IoA is being converted into Hyrule for The Legend of Zelda.

It's like Universal watched Disney spreading properties across their parks and all of a sudden turned into Drake.
drizzydrakequotes.jpg

Rich Brownn

I'm aware of all of that -- I'm simply saying it's a mistake. Again, though, it could be a JK Rowling directive and out of Universal's hands.

It's a theme park, and the area at Epic Universe isn't going to be connected like Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are. Of course there's nothing wrong with you feeling that way, but you are absolutely in a small minority. I feel very confident that most HP fans would prefer to see more of Hogwarts, and it would be a much, much bigger draw for guests.
Since you already see and walk through a portion of Hogsmede, I'm pretty sure most fans wanted to see more.... of something else. MoM is high on the list

JustInTime

If they want more Hogwarts itself, it only makes sense to just expand at IOA. It would be like having Cinderella castle at MK but then deciding to add it to Hollywood studios.

UNCgolf

Since you already see and walk through a portion of Hogsmede, I'm pretty sure most fans wanted to see more.... of something else. MoM is high on the list

That's very unlikely to be true. Hogwarts is the big draw for the vast majority of HP fans (understandably so, since like 90% of the story takes place there); most of them are disappointed that all they see of Hogwarts is the facade and a few spots in the queue. And they really don't care about the Paris Ministry of Magic (I know the ride takes place in London, but as the general setting for the land); the Fantastic Beasts films have not been very successful financially or well-liked by fans.

If they want more Hogwarts itself, it only makes sense to just expand at IOA. It would be like having Cinderella castle at MK but then deciding to add it to Hollywood studios.

That could potentially work, but I think it would make less sense that way. You'd likely be looking at the Hogwarts facade while entering a separate building that was also supposed to be functioning as the Hogwarts interior.

That wouldn't necessarily be easy to solve building it elsewhere either, though.

JustInTime

That's very unlikely to be true. Hogwarts is the big draw for the vast majority of HP fans (understandably so, since like 90% of the story takes place there); most of them are disappointed that all they see of Hogwarts is the facade and a few spots in the queue. And they really don't care about the Paris Ministry of Magic (I know the ride takes place in London, but as the general setting for the land); the Fantastic Beasts films have not been very successful financially or well-liked by fans.

That could potentially work, but I think it would make less sense that way. You'd likely be looking at the Hogwarts facade while entering a separate building that was also supposed to be functioning as the Hogwarts interior.

That wouldn't necessarily be easy to solve building it elsewhere either, though.
It would be tricky and they would have to get extra creative. I’d love do dine in the great hall. It’s the only thing missing but it has to be done right.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The thing is, we're talking about a theme park. You should be able to walk in the gate with a very basic knowledge of Star Wars and come away saying you've had a good time. Especially with such a massively popular IP! Of course superfans will get more out of it but you should never feel excluded for not knowing the mystic lore, much less not having the right opinions on it, whatever those are!

It's a park with rides and landscaping, not the actual Jedi Temple.

I will take this a step further and say that you should be able to walk into a theme park with NO knowledge of the IP and still have a good time.

UNCgolf

I will take this a step further and say that you should be able to walk into a theme park with NO knowledge of the IP and still have a good time.

Yeah, if knowledge of an IP is required for an attraction or area to be enjoyable, then that's a pretty significant design failure IMO.

Of course a fan of HP, e.g., is going to be more excited about Diagon Alley than someone who isn't, but I don't think being a fan is necessary to enjoy the land because it's so well done. On the other hand, that's one of the big reasons I'm so down on Frozen Ever After -- it only works (to the extent that it does at all) if you know Frozen. It's basically a vignette of characters from the film with nothing else happening in the ride beyond "there's Anna, and there's Elsa, and there's Olaf!" There's really the only thing tying the scenes together.

Obviously a significant number of people attending Disney are going to know Frozen even if they haven't actually watched the film, but it's an example of using IP as a crutch rather than an enhancement.

Pandora is the opposite (for another Disney example), as I like both attractions and the land as a whole but I've never even seen Avatar.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Aye. Or even if you actively dislike the IP, you still enjoy the land.

I know quite a few folks who dont like Avatar, yet still rate FoP as one of their favorite Disney experiences.

Yeah, I wouldn't say I dislike Avatar, but I've never seen it and don't really have any interest in doing so.

I think NRJ is fantastic, though, FoP is very good, and the land as a whole is very enjoyable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom