News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

solidyne

[...] His comment about riding rides all day was because he knew it was a work outing and Scott was busy working on projects at the office.
Yes, a prior poster convinced me that Trowbridge's joke does make sense this way. Sorry my "contempt" comment indirectly set off something else...

celluloid

Yes, a prior poster convinced me that Trowbridge's joke does make sense this way. Sorry my "contempt" comment indirectly set off something else...

It's all good. Not sure what the rest from the other poster was about.

For what it is worth, I find you are right about contempt from other people who are in charge but do not lead theme parks with the healthiest of attitudes.

Thepuma

This obviously lost long term interest because of the cost.

I just fail to believe they couldn't have got this to work with a few adjustments. Less 'actors' and cheaper cost.

I'm sure they will now just run it as a resort hotel.

celluloid

I just fail to believe they couldn't have got this to work with a few adjustments. Less 'actors' and cheaper cost.

Exactly
It is wild that is where the company is at. Multi billion dollar hit or bust!

Disstevefan1

TWDC is ok with losing money over and over on movies and lost money on D+, they should have given the Star Cruiser more of a chance instead of shutting it down so fast.

Oh, wait, its ok to lose money on movies and D+.... Nevermind.

kingdead

The problem is that the build quality isn't high enough for it to work without the actors. The rooms are dark and small and the novelty must wear off quickly.

Disstevefan1

I presume Disney has different standards for their theme park business compared to their movie business for example.

Anything related to theme parks must not only make money, but must hit targets to remain in existence. In the case of the Star Cruiser, they were not even allowed to make adjustments to try to fix it.

The movie business is allowed to hit and miss randomly and is allowed to lose money. In the movie business they allow multiple re shoots, spending even more money, for a movie that may or may not even make the money back they spent to make and market it.

SplashJacket

I presume Disney has different standards for their theme park business compared to their movie business for example.

Anything related to theme parks must not only make money, but must hit targets to remain in existence. In the case of the Star Cruiser, they were not even allowed to make adjustments to try to fix it.

The movie business are allowed to hit and miss randomly and is allowed to lose money. In the movie business they allow multiple re shoots, spending even more money, for a movie that may or may not even make the money back they spent to make and market it.
The media industry uses its media as a marketing and brand development tool. What matters is merchandising and experiences after the fact. There's a reason Disney has Parks, Experiences, and Products lumped together because, in the end, that's where they're trying to generate their revenue.

I believe the approach is slightly misguided at the very least because even without IP and brand development, people will visit world-class theme parks as demonstrated by the European giants (Eflting, Europa, Phantasia, etc.), so I would prefer them to be more bullish on park investments as they can have a positive-feedback loop without separate brand development.

A toy for X imaginary brand won't sell at a premium to other non-branded toys because that brand lacks development, but for theme parks, people will visit Y imaginary brand because it's a great experience, regardless of the imaginary brand attached to it.

So I wish the parks would place more emphasis on brand building within the parks, instead of relying so heavily on outside of it, because while outside focus has its advantages, unlike in most other "merchandising" experiences, it's less crucial.

Thepuma

The movie business is allowed to hit and miss randomly and is allowed to lose money. In the movie business they allow multiple re shoots, spending even more money, for a movie that may or may not even make the money back they spent to make and market it.
It just seems financially stupid you to close it down now its been built. I'm sure you could easily just make it a Star Wars themed budge resort hotel and charge $250 a night and the place would be sold out every night. You'd need very few staff to run it and it would at least be recouping the cost of building it.

JoeCamel

It just seems financially stupid you to close it down now its been built. I'm sure you could easily just make it a Star Wars themed budge resort hotel and charge $250 a night and the place would be sold out every night. You'd need very few staff to run it and it would at least be recouping the cost of building it.
It does not have the infrastructure to be a $250 hotel, even as a value there are not enough beds to be profitable. The overhead would sink it. Build 10 more the same size and group them together it might fly but 100 rooms with half bunk beds is not going to make money no matter how much you cheapen the experience.

Disstevefan1

Agreed, I have stopped trying to understand the stupid things TWDC does in all of their business units.

Thepuma

It does not have the infrastructure to be a $250 hotel, even as a value there are not enough beds to be profitable. The overhead would sink it. Build 10 more the same size and group them together it might fly but 100 rooms with half bunk beds is not going to make money no matter how much you cheapen the experience.
It doesn't have to be staffed with hundreds of staff. Just a Star Wars themed hotel. They are 90% of the way there already. Just make it a novelty stay for people...um sure there would be enough people paying $250 a night to stay in a Star Wars Hotel with park benefits. It doesn't need to have actors, just a themed restaurant area (which they already have) and themed rooms/foyers/lounges...which they already have.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Just announced!! Starcruiser will anchor a new DVC tower!!!

Epcot Star.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom