News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

celluloid

Did you also catch Trowbridge's comment? (paraphrasing) "What do you do, ride rides all day??" In other words, "Come on Dan, you don't actually consume the products we're producing do you?? Sheesh, you actually go to the parks???"

The contempt these people have for us...

Scott Trowbridge is one of the best designers and pushers for good Themed Entertainment left.
He knew it was for a bit and started this because he knew it was a work outing. They were pestering him at work and play along.

There are executive level people who think themed entertainment is simple and treat it like a carnival for nickel and dining. Scott is not one of those people.
His comment about riding rides all day was because he knew it was a work outing and Scott was busy working on projects at the office.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Scott Trowbridge is one of the best designers and pushers for good Themed Entertainment left.
He knew it was for a bit and started this because he knew it was a work outing. They were pestering him at work and play along.

There are executive level people who think themed entertainment is simple and treat it like a carnival for nickel and dining. Scott is not one of those people.
His comment about riding rides all day was because he knew it was a work outing and Scott was busy working on projects at the office.

Yesterday: “We have an IP (or acquired an IP, or have an idea revolving around a potential IP) and we want to create XYZ land. We want to make it the best XYZ land we possibly can because it will generate interest from potential new guests, help with our retention goals, and provide a superior experience that will ultimately lead to greater guest satisfaction and an overall favorable perception of the brand. This will create more revenue for the overall product and cement a more loyal fan base who will continue to visit and support us because of our steps to increase the value proposition through our quality of offering.”

Today: “What is the bare minimum we need to provide that will satisfy 65% of the people visiting the resort and how do we do that while being cost oriented with the goal of maximizing our profits?”

80’s Disney vs Today.

That’s why we got Galactic Starcruiser in the first place. But they weren’t focused on the 65%. They got cocky and only wanted the 10%. Then they told them they had to ride in box trucks.

Last edited:

celluloid

Yesterday: “We have an IP (or acquired an IP, or have an idea revolving around a potential IP) and we want to create XYZ land. We want to make it the best XYZ land we possibly can because it will generate interest from potential new guests, help with our retention goals, and provide a superior experience that will ultimately lead to greater guest satisfaction and an overall favorable perception of the brand. This will create more revenue for the overall product and cement a more loyal fan base who will continue to visit and support us because of our steps to increase the value proposition through our quality of offering.”

Today: “What is the bare minimum we need to provide that will satisfy 65% of the people visiting the resort and how do we do that while being cost oriented with the goal of maximizing our profits?”

80’s Disney vs Today.

That’s why we got Galactic Starcruiser in the first place.
Not Scott Trowbridge's fault.

He has not designed the bare minimum.
He is responsible for leading some of the best Dark rides and others on the planet.

The defense was for him with a joke he made in a video, not the shift in executive sights that don't always invest or trust.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Not Scott Trowbridge's fault.

He has not designed the bare minimum.
He is responsible for leading some of the best Dark rides and others on the planet.

The defense was for him, not the shift in executive sights that don't always invest or trust.

There are other employment opportunities. Ones that may be better suited.

As a “creative” I’d look elsewhere. “Creatives” often do when they feel stifled.

So either go along with the plan. Or don’t

celluloid

There are other employment opportunities. Ones that may be better suited.

As a “creative” I’d look elsewhere. “Creatives” often do when they feel stifled.

So either go along with the plan. Or don’t

Just because a lot is wrong with what goes on to many in current culture, does not mean you don't enjoy what works. If that were the case we would have no teachers left at all, trust me.

Saying he has contempt for guests based on a video he joked with one of his friends in is just absurd.

You want the Trowbridge types still within the company if you want things to stay decent and get better.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Just because a lot is wrong with what goes on, does not mean you don't enjoy what works. If that were the case we would have no teachers left at all, trust me.

Saying he has contempt for guests based on a video he joked with one of his friends in is just absurd.

You want the Trowbridge types still within the company if you want things to stay decent and get better.
Never said he has “contempt”. More than likely he’s just doing what he’s told.

Could you imagine if Rohde and Trowbridge had any creative over at the theme park being built up the road?

I’d rather the Trowbridge types be free to explore wherever they felt their talents be best served. Whether Disney, Uni, SW, Busch, LEGO, Efteling, Great Wolf, Cedar Point, Six Flags, heck even Circus Circus (which I don’t recommend btw), or a “land” on one of those massive cruise ships.

celluloid

Never said he has “contempt”. More than likely he’s just doing what he’s told.

Could you imagine if Rohde and Trowbridge had any creative over at the theme park being built up the road?

I’d rather the Trowbridge types be free to explore wherever they felt their talents be best served. Whether Disney, Uni, SW, Busch, LEGO, Efteling, Great Wolf, Cedar Point, Six Flags, heck even Circus Circus (which I don’t recommend btw), or a “land” on one of those massive cruise ships.

You did not, but quoted my post that was in response to someone that did.

I don't think the culture up the road is too different at the moment as far as design push as much as the first service and upkeep side of things is better. You do know where Trowbridge left from before he came to WDI right? Scott left after the biggest themed hits of IOA and Uni were done. Most of their greatest still standing were lead with him as a huge part of it.
Epic will be great in many respects, but if Trowbridge has creative say over things that were as fun to him, he would still be there.

Mark Woodbury as Park leadership for Universal Destinations and Experiences is going to be a good future.

"El Gran Magnifico"

you do know where Trowbridge left from before he came to WDI right?

Yes. This industry is incestous though. I’m in it. Not on the Theme Park side but I’m friends with some who are.

I’ve seen people step upgrade between two companies. Manager at place A. Director at place B. VP back at place A. SVP at place B. President back at place A. It’s whacked.

celluloid

Yes. This industry is incestous though. I’m in it. Not on the Theme Park side but I’m friends with some who are.

I’ve seen people step upgrade between two companies. Manager at place A. Director at place B. VP back at place A. SVP at place B. President back at place A. It’s whacked.
It's life in an industry. It's not a huge industry that many of people when you get down to it.
One of the best things a good theater teacher or professor will do is have a class look around to each other at the end of the semester or sooner and let them know if they stay in the field they WILL work with someone in that room again one day in some capacity.

"El Gran Magnifico"

It's life in an industry. It's not a huge industry that many of people when you get down to it.
Any good theater teacher or professor will have a class look around to each other at the end of the semester or sooner and let them know if they stay in the field they WILL work with someone in that room again one day in some capacity.

The smart ones get out. Then they capitalize on what they learned and become entrepreneurs…..or consultants

celluloid

For the record. That’s you moving goalposts. I never said the others were “idiots”. You inferred that. Well done. Well done, indeed.
No goalposts moved and I don't see how that phrase really applies here.

If you say "The smart ones" do something, that is what it implies. Your statement was "The smart ones get out" What does that imply those who are not are? It implies that they are not smart. That is what a reasonable person would infer. That is why I responded with the extreme sarcasm.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

No goalposts moved and I don't see how that phrase really applies here.

If you say "The smart ones" do something. What does that imply those who are not are? It implies that they are not smart. That is what a reasonable person would infer.
That’s what you imply. Many people who haven’t figured out the game aren’t necessarily “idiots”.

This has devolved into a circular argument and I feel dumber for having participated. You may carry on if you wish. And I’ll probably respond. And then together we can both loose brain cells. At this point why not?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom