News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Ayla

Yet this wasn't meant to be a resort hotel, which people didn't, and continue not to, understand.

I have my doubts it would be worth the effort at that price point. Maybe somewhere closer to deluxe rates?

They could include the direct entry to the Studios and include the interactive games as a resort exclusive. Maybe allow any guests to eat in the restaurant. There's probably some value in a scaled down experience.
Yet, they obviously misjudged their audience and now have an empty building. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Dranth

Yet, they obviously misjudged their audience and now have an empty building. 🤷🏻‍♀️
They certainly misjudged what their audience would pay but I would be surprised if a lack of pool played into many peoples discission making process who understood what this was and what they were signing up for. Sure, it could be useful now if they wanted to try and convert it into a standard hotel but I think that would be another mistake. It is too small to be a useful hotel and you would still have to charge a lot of money/night to cover operational costs.

Not going to happen but what they should do is bulldoze the whole thing, eat their loses and use all that space to expand DHS even further. If they want to keep it Star Wars fine, just do something to add capacity to the park (and some good dining please).

Incomudro

You’re not considering the lack of restaurants, lack of views, lack of pool, as a factor?

The star cruiser was a great experience, and I think worth it as a proof of concept/attempt at trying something new on the part of Disney. But it doesn’t work as a stand alone hotel. Without the CM actors, the story, and the immersive experience, all you have is a small hotel room with no windows. You don’t have a pool, nor a lot of choices in restaurants/bars. And did I mention small rooms? The star cruiser experience was meant as a stand alone couple day/night adventure. Most Disney resort guests aren't just booking for a couple of nights. Even running with all of the bells and whistles of the immersive experience, I am not sure i would want to stay for a full 5-7 day trip in those tiny rooms, missing the other resort type amenities.

I think you have a better chance of turning it into a seasonal type offering, limited "cruises" throughout the year, than you would trying to operate it as a full year standard resort.
Exactly.
What would you do in there without the show?
The whole concept was designed around it.
Without it you're in a small, stark, not highly themed environment with few amenities.

Incomudro

I'm sure they could make a pool area outside that is also themed. I'm not sure of the area, but is there room right next to the Starcruiser that could be made into a pool area?
But how would that work thematically?
You're out in space on a Starcruiser, but there's a pool on a terrestrial body outside the door?

Incomudro

I'm sure the imagineers are Disney could come up with something 🤣
You'd have to take a "shuttle" to the pool to make the theme work.
Say the ship has a pool on Batuu like how Disney's nautical cruise ships dock at Disney islands.
Of course... A place like Batuu which is supposed to be inhabited by thieves, and scoundrels would be an odd place to put a pool.

Ayla

They certainly misjudged what their audience would pay but I would be surprised if a lack of pool played into many peoples discission making process who understood what this was and what they were signing up for. Sure, it could be useful now if they wanted to try and convert it into a standard hotel but I think that would be another mistake. It is too small to be a useful hotel and you would still have to charge a lot of money/night to cover operational costs.

Not going to happen but what they should do is bulldoze the whole thing, eat their loses and use all that space to expand DHS even further. If they want to keep it Star Wars fine, just do something to add capacity to the park (and some good dining please).
I don't believe only the lack of a pool played into this abject failure at cosplay.

LSLS

It did operate as a cruise. Just on land.

There was not enough time in the itinerary they built for guests to use a pool, so they didn’t build one.

See, but I don't think that makes it like a cruise to me. Sure, there are some things you can do (games, etc.). But if I want to go relax by the pool and eat something, easy enough. There are a bunch of different themed bars if I want to do that. Game rooms and sports things to do. I can hang back instead of going to shore and enjoy the stuff on the ship with less crowds. See a show. Maybe similar things were all there and it was just marketed very poorly, but it never came across as a true cruise on land to me. It came across as an interactive experience with a ship setting. But, that is why I said when I thought it was going to be truly modeled after a cruise ship, the cost of a pool would make sense. But as you said, when it became what it was (with the times all planned out), they didn't feel a need to have it. And I certainly doubt they'd justify building one now if it's just to make them hotel rooms.

Bocabear

If they went the route of an immersive hotel experience, added a couple wings to the hotel and an amenities deck, had things and experiences to do, but not dependent on them, and run space shuttles to TTC and Disney Springs with a docking bay in each location...it could be played more like a cruise ship or amazing immersive hotel that you did not have to be following the storyline...just know it is there in the background... and you are at Disney World staying on a space ship orbiting the earth... with more and nicer cabins available, this would be a really fun and unusual place to stay...and breaking out of the Star Wars book, it could be more whimsical and fun... a couple of restaurants and lounges... Build a big new lobby atrium with windows into Space...make it less claustrophobic....I would stay there....

Incomudro

See, but I don't think that makes it like a cruise to me. Sure, there are some things you can do (games, etc.). But if I want to go relax by the pool and eat something, easy enough. There are a bunch of different themed bars if I want to do that. Game rooms and sports things to do. I can hang back instead of going to shore and enjoy the stuff on the ship with less crowds. See a show. Maybe similar things were all there and it was just marketed very poorly, but it never came across as a true cruise on land to me. It came across as an interactive experience with a ship setting. But, that is why I said when I thought it was going to be truly modeled after a cruise ship, the cost of a pool would make sense. But as you said, when it became what it was (with the times all planned out), they didn't feel a need to have it. And I certainly doubt they'd justify building one now if it's just to make them hotel rooms.
Yeah, the place was really designed a live theater.
Even though it's marketed as a cruise to make it work in theme, the "ship" is quite small and doesn't offer anything approaching nautical cruise ship amenities and options to do when the show isn't going on.

SamusAranX

I literally have had internal 'blue sky' concepts of a Hoth or Endor expansion pad for HS. With an OT ride and themed show, characters, and ice cave restaurant (hoth) or ewok village dinner (endor) etc.

SamusAranX

got pics?
I wish, I have done some "maps" of where Disney could put this and how it would work logistically as well. If disney got really creative (and in a nice investing mood) they could also do a Prequel area. Having all 3 trilogies would catapult HS to the top of the theme park world.

I am terrible at drawing and have no experience with graphic design, but have full descriptions and the aforementioned maps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom