News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

asianway

There is a report from the site that can't be named that they considered
- retheming the storyline to be The Mandalorian focused
- give day guests “tours” of the hotel that would include access to the bar, dinner, and gift shop

But Iger decided to nix that and just shut it down. I figure the financials were just so bad that the depreciation benefit was the best course of action vs throwing more money into it to try and salvage anything from it
The rumor of mandalorian being added to Starcruiser as an exclusive in lieu of DHS SWGE has been around since he was announced to be debuting exclusively at Disneyland. Mandalorian was never going to move the needle only the OT and that was never going to happen

James Alucobond

Nah, there's plenty they could do with it and still have a great experience. They don't want to do that. It would appear they are content with a tax write off. Disney is supposed to have the most creative people in the world. It doesn't have to continue as a hotel. But they didn't even try. That's pretty telling in my opinion.
The existing building is not conducive to other kinds of experiences. The room count is too low to support cheaper excursions similar to the existing experience, the location and grounds would be horrid for a traditional resort, and the configuration of the interior space is not ideal for anything else. Yes, they could find creative ways to re-use the space, but they would have to either compromise those experiences to make them work or alter the property so extensively that they may as well have built something new anyway. At a certain point, dreaming up solutions to something that’s not really even a “problem” is both creatively and financially fruitless. It’s not like the space has grand architecture that needs to be preserved or a killer location begging to be developed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have no idea how it works, but if Disney can take a $300 million write-off for the Starcruiser, it makes me think is there some sort of tax savings to keep the Wonders of Life pavilion closed, or Stitch closed; a closed space should be taxed less than an active space or something like that.

Those structures are already long depreciated from their initial investment. The starcruiser is not.. hence a much bigger juicy fruit to get the tax advantage now.

Disstevefan1

Those structures are already long depreciated from their initial investment. The starcruiser is not.. hence a much bigger juicy fruit to get the tax advantage now.
I wondered if closed square footage (like Wonders Of Life pavilion and Stitch) gets taxed less than active, customer facing square footage?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wondered if closed square footage (like Wonders Of Life pavilion and Stitch) gets taxed less than active, customer facing square footage?
You're switching topics all together when you start talking about property taxes instead of income and business taxes which the whole depreciation topic is about.

And no, property assessments don't take into account if someone is operating or not. It's about the property and value of the improvements on them. Obviously structures that are no longer useful, etc are not as valuable vs something modern and improved... but it's based on the assets, not their use.

Bocabear

They could use it as the replacement for the Laker Nona Imagineering campus...Maybe they could free up some expansion space in the park by moving some of the offices currently in the way, into this building....and open the windows....

Disstevefan1

You're switching topics all together when you start talking about property taxes instead of income and business taxes which the whole depreciation topic is about.

And no, property assessments don't take into account if someone is operating or not. It's about the property and value of the improvements on them. Obviously structures that are no longer useful, etc are not as valuable vs something modern and improved... but it's based on the assets, not their use.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't switching topics, my post was just wondering about ways to save taxes in general; business write offs saves income taxes, and perhaps closed, unused, not improved square footage, possibly deemed worth less, being taxed less, saving property taxes, and if there was incentive to keep spaces closed.

GimpYancIent

They could use it as the replacement for the Laker Nona Imagineering campus...Maybe they could free up some expansion space in the park by moving some of the offices currently in the way, into this building....and open the windows....
If you are speculating converting the building into office space, the hell with windows, so long as there are fire escapes / exits. Don't need no stinking windows.

Mike S

There is a report from the site that can't be named that they considered
- retheming the storyline to be The Mandalorian focused
- give day guests “tours” of the hotel that would include access to the bar, dinner, and gift shop

But Iger decided to nix that and just shut it down. I figure the financials were just so bad that the depreciation benefit was the best course of action vs throwing more money into it to try and salvage anything from it
This is one time I’ll agree with Iger.

They’re scrounging for cash right now and other areas of WDW should take priority.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thanks for the info. I wasn't switching topics, my post was just wondering about ways to save taxes in general; business write offs saves income taxes, and perhaps closed, unused, not improved square footage, possibly deemed worth less, being taxed less, saving property taxes, and if there was incentive to keep spaces closed.
You work to reclassify the property if possible. Obviously this doesn't apply to things like a ride or structure within an existing park, etc.

And note, this was one of the areas Disney was trying to maximize while starting WDW... keeping property assessments low until the actual property was fully developed and knowing when full valuation was applied.

The incentives on non-operating attractions is in write-downs in values and operational costs. People often whine about Disney leaving structures in place... tearing down buildings is not free, nor is putting something in it's place instead of a big dirt pile. Sound structures that fit the existing surroundings are cheaper to sustain then to actually spend to tear down.

MKeeler

Could it become 100 offices with private bathrooms, meetings spaces, cafeteria, etc. so that the infrastructure behind Animation Courtyard could be demoed instead?

erasure fan1

The existing building is not conducive to other kinds of experiences. The room count is too low to support cheaper excursions similar to the existing experience, the location and grounds would be horrid for a traditional resort,
Again, it wouldn't need to be a hotel experience. There's a whole lot of stuff n that building other than rooms. I said when they announced it was closing they should make it a meal service. They have the tables so make it the star wars themed restaurant that should have been there from day one. You could have an option for a meal and lightsaber training or any of the other games they had.

Now if they say tomorrow, they are putting in a new restaurant and adding in the droids to the land and the interactive items from the cruise. Ok, no need for the hotel. But we all know, Disney won't do any of that anytime soon.

lentesta

Premium Member
For anyone looking to book tomorrow, I'm told these dates are already sold out:

- June 2nd – 4th
- June 24th – 26th
- July 4th – 6th
- July 12th – 14th
- July 18th – 20th
- August 1st – 3rd
- August 7th – 9th
- August 15th – 17th
- August 19th – 21st
- August 27th – 29th
- September 4th – 6th
- September 12th – 14th
- September 28th – 30th

kingdead

Again, it wouldn't need to be a hotel experience. There's a whole lot of stuff n that building other than rooms. I said when they announced it was closing they should make it a meal service. They have the tables so make it the star wars themed restaurant that should have been there from day one. You could have an option for a meal and lightsaber training or any of the other games they had.

Now if they say tomorrow, they are putting in a new restaurant and adding in the droids to the land and the interactive items from the cruise. Ok, no need for the hotel. But we all know, Disney won't do any of that anytime soon.
This is all stuff that should have been in the park in the first place, either for free or for a much less hefty upcharge. Having guests cross a road and pile into a low capacity building with a totally unthemed exterior to do things that could have been properly designed in the first place isn't going to help.

James Alucobond

I didn’t say it needed to be a hotel experience; I said that retrofitting it as anything else would result in a compromised experience. As you said, most of the other “solutions” people mention make a lot more sense if they’re just in Galaxy’s Edge, not an inconvenient, ugly truck ride away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom