News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

kingdead

Could the depreciation be realized without tearing down a perfectly good building? Repurposing seems more sensible.
From the videos I've seen it's really not useful for anything other than storage--the rooms are designed to recreate the limitations of an actual cruise ship and don't work unless you're playing along that you're "in space." Without that, you'd be getting a backpacker hostel experience at Disney resort prices, even if they knocked out the video screen windows and false walls and did all the other refurbishing necessary to make the place a functioning hotel.

Maybe it would work as an on-property jail for people who got too rowdy drinking across Epcot or tried to sneak onto Discovery Island?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I’m not a GC or a builder (more like Tim Taylor than Bob Vila, lol), but to knock out exterior holes in that concrete to make windows will be prohibitively expensive…could it be done? Absolutely…would they do it? Highly unlikely. They COULD, either build next to it or knock it down and start anew…I don’t know how much land is back there and I’m sure (looking at the big picture), since HWD is the smallest park, I would imagine TWDC would want to save that land for future park expansion…I still say to build a SW themed resort ala POP or AoA…that they could do elsewhere on property and it would be a top resort. Just my .02

Actually, windows aren't a problem. There are already openings in the outside walls for each room for emergency access, these could be turned into windows.

GimpYancIent

From the videos I've seen it's really not useful for anything other than storage--the rooms are designed to recreate the limitations of an actual cruise ship and don't work unless you're playing along that you're "in space." Without that, you'd be getting a backpacker hostel experience at Disney resort prices, even if they knocked out the video screen windows and false walls and did all the other refurbishing necessary to make the place a functioning hotel.

Maybe it would work as an on-property jail for people who got too rowdy drinking across Epcot or tried to sneak onto Discovery Island?
Hey! My recommendation has always been to have an immersive Imperial Space Prison Ship experience where guests would be Rebel Scum, placed in cells, overnight!, during which time their objective is to escape to the Black Spire outpost on Batuu. But, it is what it is and the future of the building looks dim. If there still are any actual imagineers though there is always hope.

Lilofan

Hey! My recommendation has always been to have an immersive Imperial Space Prison Ship experience where guests would be Rebel Scum, placed in cells, overnight!, during which time their objective is to escape to the Black Spire outpost on Batuu. But, it is what it is and the future of the building looks dim. If there still are any actual imagineers though there is always hope.
There is an official that did comment publicly that a prison could be built next to WDW. This surely saves on construction costs.

Monkee Girl

Disney really dropped the ball when they chose LARPING over a legit escape room experience, haha

Monkee Girl

I’m not a GC or a builder (more like Tim Taylor than Bob Vila, lol), but to knock out exterior holes in that concrete to make windows will be prohibitively expensive…could it be done? Absolutely…would they do it? Highly unlikely. They COULD, either build next to it or knock it down and start anew…I don’t know how much land is back there and I’m sure (looking at the big picture), since HWD is the smallest park, I would imagine TWDC would want to save that land for future park expansion…I still say to build a SW themed resort ala POP or AoA…that they could do elsewhere on property and it would be a top resort. Just my .02
I'm not even worried about the windows. If the idea of the main hub/lobby of the resort is that you are on a spaceship, then I'm fine with it as is. It's the need for other open areas for me. if they're able to build other areas outside the complex, then it shouldn't be a problem. I almost like the idea that you start in the ship and then you are taken to your 'planet' (room/bldg) of choice.

Overall, I just don't see a need to tear down what they have currently built, but they do have to fix up that outside and they just need more places for people to go... and more rooms, of course. They just need to put the money and effort needed to design a proper hotel, which can certainly be done. and I rather them be doing that with this space then constantly cramming more buildings on other properties. coughPolynesiancough.

erasure fan1

There is a ton of room between the offering they had and demolition. If they truly do demolish the building, it seems they weren't the least bit interested in pivoting or even trying to make better use out of the experience/building.
In my opinion this is part of the bigger issue with Disney. The fact that the only option they are trying is complete shutdown. Tells me one thing, they don't want a more affordable experience. They want the high rollers so be damned with the peasants. They don't want to expand and open up capacity in the parks. That's too much work. The good part is maybe this is a wake up call that just because, Disney! It doesn't hold that prestige anymore.

MagicHappens1971

In my opinion this is part of the bigger issue with Disney. The fact that the only option they are trying is complete shutdown. Tells me one thing, they don't want a more affordable experience. They want the high rollers so be damned with the peasants. They don't want to expand and open up capacity in the parks. That's too much work. The good part is maybe this is a wake up call that just because, Disney! It doesn't hold that prestige anymore.
The more likely situation is that they don’t want to make cuts to the experience, and it’s too expensive to run to make a profit at a cheaper price.

TheMaxRebo

There is a report from the site that can't be named that they considered
- retheming the storyline to be The Mandalorian focused
- give day guests “tours” of the hotel that would include access to the bar, dinner, and gift shop

But Iger decided to nix that and just shut it down. I figure the financials were just so bad that the depreciation benefit was the best course of action vs throwing more money into it to try and salvage anything from it

MrPromey

I could see this place as a dinner experience. Four hours of food, lightsaber training, a drink and that Kylo Ren show could work.
This is a fabulous idea!

The Kylo Ren Dinner Show! Staring everyone's least favorite Star Wars Villain, Kylo Ren!

He can come out, do a little stand up, maybe some lounge singing, use the force to break the necks of a few hecklers - what's not to love?!

I think I would actually pay money to bear witness to something like that.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

The more likely situation is that they don’t want to make cuts to the experience, and it’s too expensive to run to make a profit at a cheaper price.
Nah, there's plenty they could do with it and still have a great experience. They don't want to do that. It would appear they are content with a tax write off. Disney is supposed to have the most creative people in the world. It doesn't have to continue as a hotel. But they didn't even try. That's pretty telling in my opinion.

dreamfinder912

Except that's literally only at Disney.

You can still do just that very thing (walk up, buy a ticket, have a good time) at every other park in Florida with no problems. Sure, you may be faced with questions at the booth like if you want a two park and what that entails at Universal or if you want to add the water park at Legoland but Disney is still the only one that requires dedicated research to ensure you can even get in on a given day, much less have a decent time.

To me, that's what seems crazy.

As someone who's been fully conditioned to jump through all the hoops for Disney*, this may come as a shock but none of the other places here are like that so my question to you is, why would the average person who "doesn't know better" expect that visiting a theme park would be such a pain in the a$$?

... Oh, and what Does Universal do regarding their most popular attraction? Charge $25 for people to ride it? Nope, they avoid even offering the standard express pass for that one to ensure that the standby only line moves as quickly as possible for all guests.

Anyway, the good news is apparently management has finally come to realize they need to scale a few things back and rethink the guest experience so there's hope, at least!

*We're all like frogs sitting in a pot of water that has slowly come to a boil saying "it's not that bad" but to the rest of the world, what we accept as the wdw experience is kind of lunacy.
Oh I agree! Im the "convert" in the family who enjoys universal more these days because it's simpler and guest behavior is better regulated. what I mean to say is any Disney trip requires research to get the full experience. Starcruiser is no different from any other Disney trip in that sense.

Phonedave

Why not turn it into a hotel for Disney employees traveling to Orlando for business? Operate it as a cheap motel with a business/networking lounge and a quick breakfast buffet, plus light dinner options or grab-n-go meals in the evening? Offer a CM shuttle bus to TDO and Celebration office parks, and you've got yourself a cheap way to house visiting staff from out of state.

They could save money by not paying to put up visiting Disney employees from California or New York at expensive Disney hotels, or even off-property Fairfield's or Hilton Garden Inn's with expense accounts.

Sure, the senior execs will still get put into the Four Seasons or the Contemporary. But the average middle manager of TPS Reports from Burbank goes to the Cubicle Farm Inn, formerly known as the Galactic Starcruiser.

Other companies have done this. Bought an existing hotel, and all people traveling to HQ have to stay there (and it is not open to the public)

Dream23

I could see it being turned into a themed hotel priced above a moderate possibly a deluxe. Add a pool and quick service location Turn the restaurant into character dining. Offer light savor training etc.

Disstevefan1

I have no idea how it works, but if Disney can take a $300 million write-off for the Starcruiser, it makes me think is there some sort of tax savings to keep the Wonders of Life pavilion closed, or Stitch closed; a closed space should be taxed less than an active space or something like that.

Which makes me have conspiracy theories that going forward, WDW would literally close something FOR some sort of the tax break!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom