News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Drdcm

I haven’t really chimed in much on this, but here are my thoughts. The cost was too high (obviously most people agree with me) for their intended audience. It was so expensive that only super high earners could afford it. So, the intended audience had to be both high earning, and super fans of Star Wars.

My wife and I have good incomes, and we love Star Wars. It sounded fun until we realized we could stay at the Four Seasons in Maui for the same cost. It was an easy decision.

Bleed0range

I cannot for the life of me think of what they can or would do with this building. Repurposing it forever taints it with the stench of failure. Turn it into the sit down dinner theater only and people laugh about its failure on the way there.

The only future I see is a tear down or a nice storage facility for YouTubers to try and trespass on.

Incomudro

I haven’t really chimed in much on this, but here are my thoughts. The cost was too high (obviously most people agree with me) for their intended audience. It was so expensive that only super high earners could afford it. So, the intended audience had to be both high earning, and super fans of Star Wars.

My wife and I have good incomes, and we love Star Wars. It sounded fun until we realized we could stay at the Four Seasons in Maui for the same cost. It was an easy decision.
That's it essentially.

FettFan

Maybe they’ll feature Batuu in the new Rey movie. They need to do something to bring it together. It baffles me that they haven’t done it already

If the new Rey movie even happens at this point.
KK and Daisy may have made their big announcement, but until there’s actual filming going on, I’m considering it just another dead Star Wars project.

Rogue Squadron was canned…and they allegedly even had a script.
Patty-Jenkins-Rogue-Squadron.jpg

Rey doesn’t have that, and isn’t likely to have one anytime soon thanks to the current WGA strike.

Last edited:

lewisc

Posters have discovered the solution to low bookings. Need to drop line dancing and replace Kylo with Darth.

I suspect posters are right. Not enough people willing to pay; even if Disney did it right. Whatever that is.

It didn't look like as inclusive as the price would suggest. No adult beverages. Light Saber should have been included with the equivalent of a greatly enhanced Savi type of experience. Batuu was fast pass and a meal voucher. Batuu should have been a highlight, possibly including exclusive access. Training. Interaction.

Overpriced? Maybe but every thing at Disney is priced at least 50% more, sometimes double, price we would ecpect to pay if it wasn't Disney.

I think it would have worked better as a one night stay.

Lilofan

HI is a better deal except the 12 hour plane trip.

Monkee Girl

I know nothing about construction but I'm going to give my idiot's take anyway. Just like how the contemporary added the DVC buildings (Polynesian and Floridian too) couldn't they just add to the building? I mean, I didn't know the Polynesian had room for bungalows and the new DVC area their building at Luau cove....certainly there's more realestate at the Galactic Star Cruiser. I'm sure some people liked the space themed rooms. cool, keep them. But it looks like there could be enough space to add a 2nd building that would allow more rooms and the pool as needed. And just as Star Wars is just about the locations as it is as being in space, it would make sense you could have your more outside themed areas as well as the cruise ship. a Cantina quick service. who knows.

Yes, that would cost money and all that but since Disney is so invested on spending the money everywhere else, this could be no different. I think the idea and the fan love is there, they just have to tweak it a bit.

Ayla

There is a ton of room between the offering they had and demolition. If they truly do demolish the building, it seems they weren't the least bit interested in pivoting or even trying to make better use out of the experience/building.

"Whelp, *that* concept was a failure, gotta tear the whole thing down!!" I mean...come on.

JohnD

Exactly. The thought this could be repurposed into some other type of hotel, with only 100 small rooms without windows and no outdoor amenities, makes me chuckle.

If they do repurpose it into a hotel for paying guests, it's going to need massive work. Just the windows alone. And even then, you're stuck in a warehouse between a freeway cloverleaf and the backside of an employee parking lot. Glamour.

2021-wdw-walt-disney-world-star-wars-hotel-galactic-starcruiser-construction-bioreconstruct-scaled.jpeg

I could see this being temporary CP/Epcot ambassador housing as they arrive, or a cheap business hotel for visiting Disney employees.
But not much else.
It's a glorified warehouse that guests willingly stayed in for exorbitant prices. Unless needed for storage or whatever, tear it down.

Smiley/OCD

I know nothing about construction but I'm going to give my idiot's take anyway. Just like how the contemporary added the DVC buildings (Polynesian and Floridian too) couldn't they just add to the building? I mean, I didn't know the Polynesian had room for bungalows and the new DVC area their building at Luau cove....certainly there's more realestate at the Galactic Star Cruiser. I'm sure some people liked the space themed rooms. cool, keep them. But it looks like there could be enough space to add a 2nd building that would allow more rooms and the pool as needed. And just as Star Wars is just about the locations as it is as being in space, it would make sense you could have your more outside themed areas as well as the cruise ship. a Cantina quick service. who knows.

Yes, that would cost money and all that but since Disney is so invested on spending the money everywhere else, this could be no different. I think the idea and the fan love is there, they just have to tweak it a bit.
I’m not a GC or a builder (more like Tim Taylor than Bob Vila, lol), but to knock out exterior holes in that concrete to make windows will be prohibitively expensive…could it be done? Absolutely…would they do it? Highly unlikely. They COULD, either build next to it or knock it down and start anew…I don’t know how much land is back there and I’m sure (looking at the big picture), since HWD is the smallest park, I would imagine TWDC would want to save that land for future park expansion…I still say to build a SW themed resort ala POP or AoA…that they could do elsewhere on property and it would be a top resort. Just my .02

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom