News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Monkee Girl

That's what many of us have said from the very beginning. I'm in the same category - I spend thousands of dollars a year on Star Wars.

For what this less-than-48 hours experience costs, a family of 4 you could buy a life-size Darth Vader statue to enjoy for the rest of their lives, LOL. And when you figure it's just two nights out of a week for the average vacationer, and you still have to pay for everything for the rest of the week - it's just...wow.

There just was not an audience for this, especially when you actually look at the activities and what was included. If it had been half the price and three times the quality of experience, this would have been a totally different story.
agree. sometimes I hate the idea of Disney 'dumbing down' their experiences...like when they start a restaurant off with great food and a year later they are back to glorified chicken nuggies....but with something like this, the easiest route would have changed the game. A full packaged hotel where you can book as many nights as you want, free movement to all the parks, more familiar characters (I still say Lando should have captained the ship) and just not so much structured activities would have been sooooo much better. you can still charge deluxe prices if you feel the need (don't like it but so be it) but the less than 48 hour 'LARP' experience just wasnt cutting it.

And....I'm gonna say it...I am SO SICK of every Disney 'space' themed area being the same...why is every alien always feel like they are on a cruise ship? Star Tours, Stitch's Great Escape, Star Cruiser. I'm over that whole theme. I'm tired of being called 'Cadets' by every space themed experience. If you were going to do a REAL Star Wars hotel, how COOL would it have been to have a room that looked like Naboo, or Tatooine or BESPIN (my favorite Star Wars Local) or Hoth. Maybe it would have been tacky...maybe it would have felt more like Art of Animation, I don't know...but....unlocking your door and walking into a room that looked like Dagobah would have been awesome. There was just sooooooo much potential...

MrPromey

Agree. It seems crazy to me that anyone goes to Disney without research though. The days of strolling up to a park and seeing/doing as you walked by are done. Too many systems to navigate for someone to come without doing research. Yet they always do...
Except that's literally only at Disney.

You can still do just that very thing (walk up, buy a ticket, have a good time) at every other park in Florida with no problems. Sure, you may be faced with questions at the booth like if you want a two park and what that entails at Universal or if you want to add the water park at Legoland but Disney is still the only one that requires dedicated research to ensure you can even get in on a given day, much less have a decent time.

To me, that's what seems crazy.

As someone who's been fully conditioned to jump through all the hoops for Disney*, this may come as a shock but none of the other places here are like that so my question to you is, why would the average person who "doesn't know better" expect that visiting a theme park would be such a pain in the a$$?

... Oh, and what Does Universal do regarding their most popular attraction? Charge $25 for people to ride it? Nope, they avoid even offering the standard express pass for that one to ensure that the standby only line moves as quickly as possible for all guests.

Anyway, the good news is apparently management has finally come to realize they need to scale a few things back and rethink the guest experience so there's hope, at least!

*We're all like frogs sitting in a pot of water that has slowly come to a boil saying "it's not that bad" but to the rest of the world, what we accept as the wdw experience is kind of lunacy.

Last edited:

TheMaxRebo

I still can't get over the price for this thing. I check every theoretical "box" Disney would need to get me there to experience this.. except the one willing to spend this much.

Seriously. Just for fun I looked up how much it would cost my wife and I to spend 7 days, 6 nights on our favorite Hawaiian island and stay at our favorite hotel there. The cost for two people, including nonstop airfare, hotel accommodations and a rental car was $3,300. That's $1,700 cheaper than two nights for two people aboard the Starcruiser. -and the Starcruiser stay doesn't even include airfare or transportation!

Or how it would be considerable cheaper to fly to France and stay at Futuroscope's Starcruiser like hotel at that is including theme park tickets

danlb_2000

Premium Member
FAIL!

In other news, BIG grain of salt, but The Other Site has stated that the plan for the Starcruiser is indeed to turn it into an actual hotel. Assuming this would involve work done to make it more like, well, a hotel. And hopefully a pool.

As others have mentioned, one of the biggest challenge would be operating it economically with such a small number of rooms. How would you provide normal level of bus service for the small number of rooms?

On the practical side it would need a pool and outdoor areas, but where would you put them? I guess you could get rid of the support building north of the hotel, do some theming on that side of the building and either move or hide the chiller plant.

1684953049824.png

TP2000

Why not turn it into a hotel for Disney employees traveling to Orlando for business? Operate it as a cheap motel with a business/networking lounge and a quick breakfast buffet, plus light dinner options or grab-n-go meals in the evening? Offer a CM shuttle bus to TDO and Celebration office parks, and you've got yourself a cheap way to house visiting staff from out of state.

They could save money by not paying to put up visiting Disney employees from California or New York at expensive Disney hotels, or even off-property Fairfield's or Hilton Garden Inn's with expense accounts.

Sure, the senior execs will still get put into the Four Seasons or the Contemporary. But the average middle manager of TPS Reports from Burbank goes to the Cubicle Farm Inn, formerly known as the Galactic Starcruiser.

J4546

i bet they will tear down the current residential wing and build a new one with more rooms with windows and balconies. SOmething like 4-5 stories high. They will prob get rid of character backstage area dressing room building and build nice themed pool area. There will no longer be a story line with actors, just the dinner theater and you will be allowed to explore freely and mess around with stuff...maybe

MagicHappens1971

i bet they will tear down the current residential wing and build a new one with more rooms with windows and balconies. SOmething like 4-5 stories high. They will prob get rid of character backstage area dressing room building and build nice themed pool area. There will no longer be a story line with actors, just the dinner theater and you will be allowed to explore freely and mess around with stuff...maybe
This isn’t happening.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They could save money by not paying to put up visiting Disney employees from California or New York at expensive Disney hotels, or even off-property Fairfield's or Hilton Garden Inn's with expense accounts.
Or.. save money by putting employees in the other hotels they already are operating... without paying to run a hotel JUST to do that?

TP2000

Or.. save money by putting employees in the other hotels they already are operating... without paying to run a hotel JUST to do that?

I guess. But why take up a Double Queen room at the Riviera or something when you can put your own employees into more utiliatarian surroundings? You don't have to worry that middle management is ordering the New York Strip via room service, and you keep the capacity available for actual paying customers.

It's just a thought. I'm sure there are dozens of Disney employees from California and elsewhere doing business travel to Orlando each week. Why put them in with the paying guests and lose that guest capacity and incur higher costs than you need to?

All a business traveler needs is a tidy, clean room, WiFi and access to a printer or business center, and a quick Starbucks breakfast wrap thing in the morning. They don't need the pools and dining options and guest amenities that even the Value Resorts have, much less the Moderates.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

There really isn't much to see in any direction from a balcony. The one side looks at the back of Galaxy's edge and the DHS parking lot, the other side a highway intersection.

TP2000

There really isn't much to see in any direction from a balcony. The one side looks at the back of Galaxy's edge and the DHS parking lot, the other side a highway intersection.

Exactly. The thought this could be repurposed into some other type of hotel, with only 100 small rooms without windows and no outdoor amenities, makes me chuckle.

If they do repurpose it into a hotel for paying guests, it's going to need massive work. Just the windows alone. And even then, you're stuck in a warehouse between a freeway cloverleaf and the backside of an employee parking lot. Glamour.

2021-wdw-walt-disney-world-star-wars-hotel-galactic-starcruiser-construction-bioreconstruct-scaled.jpeg

I could see this being temporary CP/Epcot ambassador housing as they arrive, or a cheap business hotel for visiting Disney employees.
But not much else.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I guess. But why take up a Double Queen room at the Riviera or something when you can put your own employees into more utiliatarian surroundings? You don't have to worry that middle management is ordering the New York Strip via room service, and you keep the capacity available for actual paying customers.

Because your proposal requires new outlay spend, and recurring overhead... vs my proposal which is just sacraficing some margin where they likely have spare capacity anyway. If they don't, then it would be cheaper to outsource unless your demand is so high and consistent it makes sense to float the overhead. But in an ultra-competitive market, in a product that relies on SCALE... it just doesn't make a lot of sense to do it for internal uses at low volume.

It's just a thought. I'm sure there are dozens of Disney employees from California and elsewhere doing business travel to Orlando each week. Why put them in with the paying guests and lose that guest capacity and incur higher costs than you need to?

Because paying staff is expensive... paying a hotel room isn't really. $120/day is still cheaper than paying a single housekeeper for that day. Offering up a room at a corp discount to another department can displace paying guests, but you decide...

All a business traveler needs is a tidy, clean room, WiFi and access to a printer or business center, and a quick Starbucks breakfast wrap thing in the morning. They don't need the pools and dining options and guest amenities that even the Value Resorts have, much less the Moderates.

Then the thousands of hotels offsite will do it much cheaper than running your own :)

J4546

heres a laughably bad quick rendition of how they could build a hotel with rooms that only face the massive redone pool/landscaped area.

Attachments

• swhotel.jpg
    swhotel.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 76

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom