News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Screamface

Assigning “blame” for Luke’s character in the sequels seems silly to me. Luke, disillusioned in exile so to speak was something Lucas had in his plans. And from what I read (from neither JJ or RJ), the model of Col Kurtz from Apocalypse Now was in the plans from the early Disney meetings. He was to going to be this way no matter who was making the movies.

We can totally blame the Disney era for Luke. It's their execution. Even just looking at the concept art for Luke in recluse under Lucas for the sequels is infinitely cooler in concept than anything we actually got with Luke in the sequels.

IMG_28371.jpg

easyrowrdw

We can totally blame the Disney era for Luke. It's their execution. Even just looking at the concept art for Luke in recluse under Lucas for the sequels is infinitely cooler in concept than anything we actually got with Luke in the sequels.

View attachment 811836
Those settings look cool, but it doesn't show or say anything about the character. The complaints weren't about his habitat.

Yes, Disney executed it. But they were following Lucas's idea for Luke. Maybe it would've been executed better or received differently if Lucas had been in charge? Given how the prequels were executed and received, I doubt it.

FigmentJedi

Assigning “blame” for Luke’s character in the sequels seems silly to me. Luke, disillusioned in exile so to speak was something Lucas had in his plans. And from what I read (from neither JJ or RJ), the model of Col Kurtz from Apocalypse Now was in the plans from the early Disney meetings. He was to going to be this way no matter who was making the movies.
It's all about the context of what broke him. Between all the stuff with "The Whills living inside everyone's Midichlorians are essentially manipulating fate across the galaxy" thing in the microbiotic world, the whole "Darth Maul's hot Twi'lek apprentice Talon literally seduced the Kylo Ren equivalent to the dark side" thing, and the talk of Luke having had more support in setting him his new order before things went wrong, it's not like George's version was going to be as much of a hard "Nothing was accomplished at all in the 30 year gap between trilogies" reset as what Disney ended up going with.

easyrowrdw

It's all about the context of what broke him. Between all the stuff with "The Whills living inside everyone's Midichlorians are essentially manipulating fate across the galaxy" thing in the microbiotic world, the whole "Darth Maul's hot Twi'lek apprentice Talon literally seduced the Kylo Ren equivalent to the dark side" thing, and the talk of Luke having had more support in setting him his new order before things went wrong, it's not like George's version was going to be as much of a hard "Nothing was accomplished at all in the 30 year gap between trilogies" reset as what Disney ended up going with.
You know, that's kind of what I assumed was happening with Rey. I'm not deep into Star Wars but it seemed to me that the Force was kind of willing things to happen. I wonder if they would've gone with that if they hadn't brought JJ back for 9.

I agree with your overall point. What you highlighted at the end was definitely disappointing for me. The "right back where we started" retread of TFA was a letdown. It felt so lacking creatively.

Screamface

Those settings look cool, but it doesn't show or say anything about the character. The complaints weren't about his habitat.

Yes, Disney executed it. But they were following Lucas's idea for Luke. Maybe it would've been executed better or received differently if Lucas had been in charge? Given how the prequels were executed and received, I doubt it.

Luke being a recluse meditating, growing stronger in the force is a much cooler idea than him milking sea monsters titties and abandoning the force.

easyrowrdw

Luke being a recluse meditating, growing stronger in the force is a much cooler idea than him milking sea monsters titties and abandoning the force.
Maybe so. But the latter (minus the sea monster, probably) is what Lucas apparently planned too. We weren't getting the former with either Lucas or Disney, which was what I was trying to say in the beginning.

Screamface

Maybe so. But the latter (minus the sea monster, probably) is what Lucas apparently planned too. We weren't getting the former with either Lucas or Disney, which was what I was trying to say in the beginning.

The planned ending for TFA was to see how strong Luke has grown in the force from the OT by levitating giant boulders behind him.

Until the next writer decided to go another way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom