News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

TheIceBaron

I think if this concept was a hit commercially, they would have started implementing these type of hotels near the other parks for different IPs. Main problem is the IP they chose was wrong for so many reasons already said on this thread. It would be curious to see if they first did this project in the form of a haunted mansion experience. I feel like the results for that could only be better.

They may still be generally fans of the concept and may take another crack at it in the future. It sounds like they have plans for the building so it may not sit dormant for two decades like Wonders of Life. I just think it’s an awkward distance from the park and an awkward sized building that there are only so many options for it. They seem to be listening to consumers more so crossing my fingers for something less divisive.

KrzyKtty

I think if this concept was a hit commercially, they would have started implementing these type of hotels near the other parks for different IPs. Main problem is the IP they chose was wrong for so many reasons already said on this thread. It would be curious to see if they first did this project in the form of a haunted mansion experience. I feel like the results for that could only be better.

They may still be generally fans of the concept and may take another crack at it in the future. It sounds like they have plans for the building so it may not sit dormant for two decades like Wonders of Life. I just think it’s an awkward distance from the park and an awkward sized building that there are only so many options for it. They seem to be listening to consumers more so crossing my fingers for something less divisive.
Or heck, even a Pirates of the Caribbean Experience. Not sure how they would pull it off though LOL. But people loves pirates! That might work better on that new Island they are working on.

Disstevefan1

Since Josh hinted at using it for something else, I doubt it will be razed.

Otherwise, no official announcement as to its future.
We need an Disney accountant to explain to us how they both get the write off AND be able to use it to make money.

I mean, I know the Disney accountants are very.......... Creative.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
The digital map in My Disney Experience has been updated to remove the Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser.

IMG_7765.jpg

TheIceBaron

The concept is not under depreciation however (only the building) so they could theoretically do a similar type of thing be retooled a bit. Also you don’t have to dispose of an asset you take accelerated depreciation on (at least for Internal Revenue Code purposes). It’s basically a tool for deferring increased taxes on a later year.

Screamface

Or heck, even a Pirates of the Caribbean Experience. Not sure how they would pull it off though LOL. But people loves pirates! That might work better on that new Island they are working on.

They'd probably have rooms to replicate sleeping in the cargo hold of a ship with hard tuck for dinner.

Instead of a cool pirate-themed village that was pretty and served as a hotel. With some neat little features and experiences you can visit at your own leisure.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I think if this concept was a hit commercially, they would have started implementing these type of hotels near the other parks for different IPs.

Pretty sure there were plans for 1:to:1 clones of the experience in California and France (though using the same concept with a different IP may have been a smarter idea).

Miru

The hullabaloo surrounding Galactic Cruiser, with fans cheering for its failure even when it does what the fans wanted, reminds me of Awesome Planet. The show is the first original IP in the parks in many years, but does anyone care? People tend to see it as preachy nonsense and make “HOW DARE YOU” jokes. It’s too little, too late in both cases.

Wendy Pleakley

The hullabaloo surrounding Galactic Cruiser, with fans cheering for its failure even when it does what the fans wanted, reminds me of Awesome Planet. The show is the first original IP in the parks in many years, but does anyone care? People tend to see it as preachy nonsense and make “HOW DARE YOU” jokes. It’s too little, too late in both cases.

Yeah. I had issues with it because it put things planned for Galaxy's Edge behind a paywall, and the price/capacity meant it was only ever going to be accessible to a small audience.

However, pushing the boundaries of themed entertainment and giving guests an "only at WDW" experience is something I want to see more of.

The approach taken here obviously didn't work out, but I don't want this failure to result in less innovation. I want Disney to find a way to do groundbreaking things for a wider audience.

The Adventurer's Club was something you walked out of thinking, wow, I've never been to anything like that anywhere. These are the things that draw one back to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom