News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Tha Realest

I hate that the Starcruiser failed and I want to see Disney invest more in the greater Galaxy's Edge experience.

But Star Wars line dancing just so perfectly encapsulates what the Starcruiser got wrong from an experiential perspective.
I feel bad for those who worked there (it sounds like it was a great experience) and feel bad for those who really enjoyed it.

In terms of contentment with it failing, I am generally happy. There’s a dismaying trend to put this kind of thing behind exorbitant paywalls, and believe the Galaxy’s Edge experience suffered as a result. All of the what people praise SWGS for - it’s immersiveness, liveliness, an out of this world dining experience - is what’s noticeably lacking in SWGE.

If this had succeeded I fear we’d see more attention and focus on delivering these sorts of experiences to families willing to pony up $6K for two days.

Wendy Pleakley

I hate that the Starcruiser failed and I want to see Disney invest more in the greater Galaxy's Edge experience.

But Star Wars line dancing just so perfectly encapsulates what the Starcruiser got wrong from an experiential perspective.

Was line dancing a key component of your cruise?

Was it really something that had a strong negative impact when you did the Starcruiser?

No Name

This thing would’ve made around $100 million in revenue a year if sold out each night. I feel like there’s no reason they shouldn’t be able to charge 1/4 of what they were and still make a profit.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

This hotel would’ve made around $200 million in revenue a year if sold out each night. I feel like there’s no reason they shouldn’t be able to charge 1/4 of what they were and still make a profit.
It wasn’t a hotel……

The operating costs were astronomical. It had the crew of a broadway type show, a much higher crew (CM) to passenger (guest) ratio than most other resorts to preserve the experience, as well as the myriad of other costs involved in operating this very unique experience.

No Name

It wasn’t a hotel……
Sure, I changed it.

The operating costs were astronomical. It had the crew of a broadway type show, a much higher crew (CM) to passenger (guest) ratio than most other resorts to preserve the experience, as well as the myriad of other costs involved in operating this very unique experience.
That’s fine to try out, even if it’s still nuts, but when it doesn’t work, there has to be an appealing version of this thing that requires far less than 500+ employees.

No Name

I don’t think it had 500+ employees, but probably north of 200.
200 employees, making a generous average of $100K a year, would be only $20 million in labor costs per year. If they cut the price to $500 per person, instead of $1500-$2500, and sold 90% of the rooms, they would’ve made $40 million in revenue. Either their labor is way higher than that or they have the worst utilities ever.

The math doesn’t math.

JoeCamel

That’s fine to try out, even if it’s still nuts, but when it doesn’t work, there has to be an appealing version of this thing that requires far less than 500+ employees.
Before anything is "tried out" in the Disneyverse the numbers have to support it. With the staffing costs to present any kind of experience that is worthy of "Star Wars" this place just doesn't add up so no money would be put toward development of your wish to try it out.

JoeCamel

200 employees, making a generous average of $100K a year, would be only $20 million in labor costs per year. If they cut the price to $500 per person, instead of $1500-$2500, and sold 90% of the rooms, they would’ve made $40 million in revenue. Either their labor is way higher than that or they have the worst utilities ever.

The math doesn’t math.
The math is they sunk a lot more into building this place and 40M a year isn't a RoI that they can stomach

MagicHappens1971

The math doesn’t math.
It’s hard to do the math.

You have

The Passenger Services Crew: Roughly 80 People (95% CP Labor)

Food & Bev FOH Staff: Roughly 50

Food & Bev BOH Staff: North of 50

Entertainment: Roughly 3 performers for each (face character), I’d say there’s probably 15-20 people there, plus “Fur” characters, like Oouani, the Troopers, Chewbacca, etc (they share some of these performers with HS)

Entertainment (Behind the Scenes): North of 50 people, working in props, “Mission Control”, etc.

This does not account for the “leaders”, F&B/Merch has ~5 leaders + a department head, Passenger Services has ~3 leaders + a department head, Housekeeping/Custodial has ~3 leaders + a department head, and then Entertainment has leaders and several show directors, plus a department head.

They were probably spending north of a 800k+/yearly just in leader salary

JoeCamel

Making a small profit is better than shuttering the place.
Not in the corporate world, a small ROI is poor use of company funds when you can make more elsewhere. This company has a mandated 10% YoY growth, the word comes down from on top and is up to the managers to find that increase or face scrutiny every quarter and maybe changes for someone who can produce that return.

No Name

It’s hard to do the math.
Yeah it’s hard to do the math and I guess at the end of the day Disney decided that it wasn’t working, even if I don’t see how that adds up to more than $25 million or so in labor costs.

Not in the corporate world, a small ROI is poor use of company funds when you can make more elsewhere.
That’s just not true at all and some international parks wouldn’t exist if that were the case.

LSLS

I kind of agree, but for probably different reasons. Had this been been built to feel like a cruise, I think it works just fine. I will forever say the issue is they made it a role playing adventure as opposed to a cruise on a cruise ship through space.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
DeadJim.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom