News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Rich Brownn

Anyone who uses “Awesome Planet” as a reference either was dumped by the team that made “Awesome Planet” or was on the team that made “Awesome Planet”.

I mean it’s “Awesome Planet”, it’s in building with two great rides and two restaurants. Get mad and angry about something but really pick on “Awesome Planet”?
I liked the film, and it was certainly an improvement over what was there before.

cjkeating

Yeah, Star Wars fans TOTALLY wanted half-assed line dancing fueled by overpriced booze.

Yes. This video is terrible however I don't get why people get reposting this as if the GSC was a 48 hour dance class.

For anyone who cares this "dance" is used as a distraction twice, once during dinner on day one (to help Chewbecca avoid the First Order) and the second on day two... there was so much going on I can't remember which but it was part of one of the two heists that take place.

I didn't learn the dance (honestly... if anyone can do the Time Warp or the Macarena you can pick this up in thirty seconds...) but it did bring me great joy as during the dinner show I had to teach the First Order Lieutenant the dance (we were by pure chance the table he sat at for dinner...) whilst Chewbacca was smuggled through the dining room. And on the second day it felt surreal when a group of us started doing the dance routine and shuffled across the atrium as something was smuggled behind us whilst many bystanders had no idea what was going on.

I am sure this sounds like hell to the people who just wanted a Star Wars Hotel with Luke, Han and Leia meet and greets but in the moment it felt like such an enjoyable and joyous thing to be part of.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This video is terrible however I don't get why people get reposting this as if the GSC was a 48 hour dance class.
An internet nerdgrage culture that thinks they can get something cancelled by getting enough people on social media to post that they hate it. In absence of a real critique, they latch onto something that they can label "CRINGE!!!!!1!1" as if that were a cogent or honest critique.

This is in place of stating "Doesn't appeal to me, pass" and getting on with their lives. Unfortunately, they're stuck in the herd mentality of trying to control all of pop culture with a cult-like re-re-reposting of their hate. I feel sorry for them, their way of life is so... cringe.

TrainsOfDisney

StarCruiser had quite a few issues. The biggest issue, in my opinion, is you were paying a huge premium to lock yourself into a predetermined 2-day experience themed to exactly 1 brand.

The audience for that is small.

I also think theme parks in general have gone a bit over the top in immersion. The original Disneyland had many reminders that you were actually in Disneyland even if you were on Main Street, in Frontierland, etc.

Pretending that you are actually on a space ship for 2 days is way different then checking into “Disneys Polynesian Resort” with views of Cinderella Castle and the sounds of steam trains in the distance.

Again, the audience for that is small.

In hindsight they probably should have built a standard Star Wars hotel and once a year reserve it and transform it into this type of experience with special meals, entertainment etc.

Purduevian

I feel like this could easily turn into a $100 per person dinner show and they would do pretty well.

5-6:30 Dinner seating 1 with Gaya
7-7:30 modify that finale show with Kylo and Rey fight for both seatings
8-9:30 Dinner seating 2 with Gaya

For an upcharge, customers can do lightsaber or bridge training during the opposite dinner seating. Maybe open up the engineering room as well

JD80

I feel like this could easily turn into a $100 per person dinner show and they would do pretty well.

For an upcharge, customers can do lightsaber or bridge training during the opposite dinner seating. Maybe open up the engineering room as well

The issue is getting people to and from the Starcruiser from the parks. I don't think it was ever designed to turn over that many people so quickly.

Disone

Could work. However someone I know who worked there said that he heard that it has to remain empty or at least 18 months in order to collect a very substantial tax credit for the closing down of the business. I don't know how true that is so your mileage may vary but that's just what someone I know heard from someone else they think is in the know.

He said she said that they said kind of thing, but even without this information it's totally within my expectation that nothing happens here for a couple of years. In the very least.

FettFan

Yes. This video is terrible however I don't get why people get reposting this as if the GSC was a 48 hour dance class.

For anyone who cares this "dance" is used as a distraction twice, once during dinner on day one (to help Chewbecca avoid the First Order) and the second on day two... there was so much going on I can't remember which but it was part of one of the two heists that take place.

So essentially...mostly meaningless filler material.

An internet nerdgrage culture that thinks they can get something cancelled by getting enough people on social media to post that they hate it. In absence of a real critique, they latch onto something that they can label "CRINGE!!!!!1!1" as if that were a cogent or honest critique.

This is in place of stating "Doesn't appeal to me, pass" and getting on with their lives. Unfortunately, they're stuck in the herd mentality of trying to control all of pop culture with a cult-like re-re-reposting of their hate. I feel sorry for them, their way of life is so... cringe.

That's just the thing though. Star Wars themed dance parties don't actually appeal to Star Wars fans.

Do you not remember the failure of Star Wars Kinect, where Star Wars fans outright mocked it for having a dance dance revolution style minigame?

Ncz-d7.gif

Freestylin' Palpatine yo.

StarCruiser had quite a few issues. The biggest issue, in my opinion, is you were paying a huge premium to lock yourself into a predetermined 2-day experience themed to exactly 1 brand.

The audience for that is small.

And, ultimately, none of the choices you make really affect anything about the overall storyline. Fans paying $6,000 for "the ultimate star wars experience" would be going in expecting something akin to Westworld...

william-hat-westworld.jpg

When what they're actually getting is a predetermined storyline like a choose-your-own adventure book.
I would compare it to an escape room, except in the escape room, except that escape rooms are almost completely autonomous.

Who cares about helping Gaya find her missing luggage, when I could actually be a Darth Krayt cultist who books passage on the Star of Chandrila because I have a mission to assassinate both Kylo Ren and Rey in order to wipe the slate clean and help establish the One Sith empire.

main-qimg-56a987a8de046379e2ddc46a21108d28-lq

"The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth, as I have."

cjkeating

That's just the thing though. Star Wars themed dance parties don't actually appeal to Star Wars fans.
Don’t you remember how much people loved Star Wars Weekends?
Who cares about helping Gaya find her missing luggage,
I don’t think her luggage ever went missing? Although it would help explain why she had so much luggage and only one outfit.

No Name

Not sure why this is a debate. By all accounts nearly everyone who stayed on the Starcruiser said it was a fantastic experience.
The problem is that most people who say this are saying it in defense of the starcruiser.

They’re trying to claim that good guest satisfaction scores means it was a good idea, and that it went out of business because people didn’t get it. I think most people either got it, or didn’t even need to get it to know that they wouldn’t be interested in spending 5-6K for even the most amazing two-day Star Wars experience possible. Disney misjudged the market. The fact that people already willing to spend money on this wound up liking it isn’t really a defense of the idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom