News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Incomudro

I just don’t see it as that hard , this would be the closest property to a theme park, and they would only need to solve for MK and AK and water parks and springs with less frequent trips . Heck, they could just have guests walk to HS like Contemp guests to MK or BC Guests to Epcot. And I see the windowless room issue as a non issue - the screens are there. Put something on them. Would need more outdoor resort amenities for sure though. They could play around with pricing by including food - just ditch the cosplay nonsense
In order for any re purpose of this building to work, it would still need to remain a vessel - perhaps a space station - in space.
Reason being, removing the space ports and giving guests a view out would make this place what exactly?
Some Star Wars themed building located in a parking lot somewhere in Flroida?
In order for the building to work thematically with Galaxy's Edge, it needs to remain more or less what it is - and that means no pool.

mlayton144

In order for any re purpose of this building to work, it would still need to remain a vessel - perhaps a space station - in space.
Reason being, removing the space ports and giving guests a view out would make this place what exactly?
Some Star Wars themed building located in a parking lot somewhere in Flroida?
In order for the building to work thematically with Galaxy's Edge, it needs to remain more or less what it is - and that means no pool.

Don’t know , it’s certainly a challenge but not insurmountable, the elevator could simulate some kind of travel to the home planet/moon.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser has been removed from the Walt Disney World online digital map. It is currently still on the map within My Disney Experience.

Here's the before/after.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 4.25.28 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 1.29.03 PM.png

lewisc

Check the precision of those reports. Where they actually citing the financials are just parroting
I'll try and find a link. Accelerating the depreciation by 300 million. Tax savings. I don't know if Disney has to bulldozz the building but reopening it as a de themed hotel might have tax issues.

https://.com/2023/05/the-star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-to-be-a-300-million-tax-write-off/
Article offers quotes

I don’t think we’ve talked about this before, but in both Q3 and Q4 as we accelerate depreciation on that Starcruiser, we should expect about $100-150 million acceleration in depreciation.
Josh D’Amaro, Disney Parks Chairman
Disney World’s closure of the Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser in September will enable them to claim a write-off of approximately $300 million, as stated by Disney Parks Chairman Josh D’Amaro during the JP Morgan Global Technology, Media & Communications Conference.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Just have to wait for the final voyage to end and become history for revelation of the next step. Remember this (In a recent interview with The Points Guy, Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products Chairman Josh D'Amaro commented on the future of the soon-to-close Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser. In response to a question about the future of Starcruiser, D'Amaro said, "No hints yet, but something will happen.")

Fido Chuckwagon

Just have to wait for the final voyage to end and become history for revelation of the next step. Remember this (In a recent interview with The Points Guy, Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products Chairman Josh D'Amaro commented on the future of the soon-to-close Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser. In response to a question about the future of Starcruiser, D'Amaro said, "No hints yet, but something will happen.")
A new lounge for Florida Blue to harvest email addresses and phone numbers?

Indy_UK

It will become a day experience of 6 hours or so. They shouldn’t charge extra for that but they probably will by including the food

They’ll ignore the rooms that are there and the only logistical they have to sort is the transport to and from Battu which won’t be hard to sort.

lewisc

Yes that’s “accelerated depression” - which is not the same thing as a “write down”
It's exactly the same thing, ignoring your typo.

Writing down an asset means you're reducing it's value on your books. Depreciation lowers the.value on your books. Accelerating depreciation means you're reducing the value faster then normal.

I added some quotes to my PP.

Edited to add It doesn’t necessarily mean writing it down to zero. Accelerated depreciation can mean something faster then straight line. In this case it means accelerating over 2Q in order to substantially lower the value.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's exactly the same thing, ignoring your typo.

Writing down an asset means you're reducing it's value on your books. Depreciation lowers the.value on your books. Accelerating depreciation means you're reducing the value faster then normal.

Writing down changes the current value of an asset because of its market value vs it’s prior schedule. It’s a change in the assets value and scheduled life. Accelerated depreciation doesn’t change it’s expected lifespan but rather changes the schedule of when you account for the expense.

With accelerated depreciation the asset still has the same service life, you just have changed when the expense is recognized.… normally for tax advantage now (which disney is doing to help its challenging fy23).

Disney only signaled the change in depreciation charges - not a write down of the assets as an impairment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom