News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser - Guest reports from March 1 2022

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
When they called me a few days before, the lady said we would be using our own devices. When we arrived, they gave us the iPhones and chargers and said they in their testing, they've been getting much better results with their devices.

I didn't mind. It saved battery on both devices for me to have theirs to play on and mine for pictures.

Plus, and please don't tell Hondo, but in the job for him where you have to identify traits of characters whose cards he sends you, I might have taken pictures on my phone so I could get all the questions correct. Answered 40 questions correctly and got some massive smuggler cred!

flutas

Doesn't this show when each version was released?

2.16.0 was released Feb 18, as well 2.16.10 on March 8

Awesome, thanks for that. I was only checking my phone which gives generic "X weeks ago" statements for anything over 1 week.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Has anyone reported running into the issue of having ROTR down during their time on the Starcruiser? Despite this already being highway robbery, if the advantage of riding that without jumping through hoops disappeared then it’s just another factor in this being overpriced.

I still say this version last under 5 years as there is zero repeat allure for those that bite the bullet to begin with. This will be changed into some kind of slightly less overpriced deluxe resort without all the actors and stuff eventually.
Yeah, there were reports that with RotR down during a Batuu excursion, guests of the Halcyon were given front-of-line access when it was back up (even ahead of all the other regular guests in Lightning Lane).

For those who were completely cut out of getting on RotR, a CM updated their datapad to complete the mission that was supposed to happen. And the guest got a LL pass to RotR for any day in the future.

Remember, 'regular guests' can also pay $10K for a week at WDW and on their DHS day, not be able to get on RotR if it's down. Small print everywhere says any guest is not guaranteed any ride they want.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So the reason for these corp devices vs personal is actually in the images there.

They were using a "hot off the developer machines" version of the Play Disney app.

v2.16.9 which is shown there was never publicly available. v2.16 came out "2 weeks ago" (wish I could just get a date apple) Feb 18 (thanks @gerarar!) and then v2.16.10 was published March 8th.

This tells me, that something was rushed or broken and this was their solution to get guests access to the fixed version before Apple approved the new update.
Indeed initial guests on the media cruise and first paying customer cruise reported that their personal phones weren't working correctly in Batuu. So, they started giving everyone datapads and even locked people out of using their personal phones to ensure they could get all the missions they wanted on the datapads.

Disstevefan1

So the reason for these corp devices vs personal is actually in the images there.

They were using a "hot off the developer machines" version of the Play Disney app.

v2.16.9 which is shown there was never publicly available. v2.16 came out "2 weeks ago" (wish I could just get a date apple) Feb 18 (thanks @gerarar!) and then v2.16.10 was published March 8th.

This tells me, that something was rushed or broken and this was their solution to get guests access to the fixed version before Apple approved the new update.
This makes sense. They could not get the latest app in the App Store in time for the cruise. Even after Disney certifies their app, then app then must be certified by Apple for their App Store and this is not a fast process.

OceanBlue

Fwiw I had two friends go this week and both said the food & SWGE were the weak points. The food was bad enough to where multiple parties ordered delivery (love the idea of someone carrying Dominos through the Starcruiser lobby). Mid-day at SWGE just totally broke the immersion for them - they all wished Disney had taken them at park open to be the first to ride so it felt a bit more "exclusive" and part of the story.
They didn’t want to be in a theme park with too many tourists but ordered delivery from Earth? People are funny.

SilentWindODoom

Okay. There's been numerous references to the force experience in the climate simulator and some have said "Yeah, I did it", but no one has actually described it in regular terms (besides the person theorizing it might have to do with magnets. Can someone say what actually happens or point me in the direction of a video of it?

Bless your heart for this serious response.

Cautious as a serpent, innocent as a dove.

I still say this version last under 5 years as there is zero repeat allure for those that bite the bullet to begin with.

That is the exact opposite of what a large percentage of people who have actually done it once have said, whether they think it's worth the price tag or not.

Sailor310

Okay. There's been numerous references to the force experience in the climate simulator and some have said "Yeah, I did it", but no one has actually described it in regular terms (besides the person theorizing it might have to do with magnets. Can someone say what actually happens or point me in the direction of a video of it?

Cautious as a serpent, innocent as a dove.

That is the exact opposite of what a large percentage of people who have actually done it once have said, whether they think it's worth the price tag or not.
Just googled "climate simulator starcruiser":

waltography

For the rock stacks at the end, the effect is actually quite simple; it's a simple lever underneath each rock stack (likely triggered by the CM trainer with a remote control in her pocket). Here's another view of that same video @Sailor310 posted but from the other end:

As for the rumbling of the smaller rocks prior to that moment, it could be magnets but I feel like it could also just be the table rumbling underneath random areas. From the TikTok above you can clearly see that the table is slanted and shaped a bit like a slide so it's possible a simple jolt is all that's needed to send the smooth rocks traveling.

GimpYancIent

For the rock stacks at the end, the effect is actually quite simple; it's a simple lever underneath each rock stack (likely triggered by the CM trainer with a remote control in her pocket). Here's another view of that same video @Sailor310 posted but from the other end:

As for the rumbling of the smaller rocks prior to that moment, it could be magnets but I feel like it could also just be the table rumbling underneath random areas. From the TikTok above you can clearly see that the table is slanted and shaped a bit like a slide so it's possible a simple jolt is all that's needed to send the smooth rocks traveling.

Regardless of the "magic trick / slight of hand" in this case some unseen mechanism the effect is very cool and makes good use of what seemed was a themed wasted space. This is a good review video.

waltography

Regardless of the "magic trick / slight of hand" in this case some unseen mechanism the effect is very cool and makes good use of what seemed was a themed wasted space. This is a good review video.
It's very simple but very effective, I agree. The effect on the whole is much more impressive than the lightsaber training too, in my opinion; it's the closest I've seen the Force demonstrated in any video of this experience.

SilentWindODoom

The way that the rock shot towards her at the end of the Laughing Place video. It was so sudden and fast and felt really visceral.
It's very simple but very effective, I agree. The effect on the whole is much more impressive than the lightsaber training too, in my opinion; it's the closest I've seen the Force demonstrated in any video of this experience.

The way the rock shot towards her at the end of the Laughing Place video... It was very sudden and rapid and felt really visceral. I can only imagine being there and doing it. It would have probably startled me. I love it.

Castle Cake Apologist

Is this an angle that guests can typically watch it from? The mechanism is pretty clearly visible as it pushes the rocks off.

waltography

Is this an angle that guests can typically watch it from? The mechanism is pretty clearly visible as it pushes the rocks off.
I'd imagine there are many opportunities to ensure this doesn't happen before they trigger the effect. The CMs are usually very good at making sure people are in the proper position for effects to work (the Yoda holocron in the lightsaber training room being one example).

Also, the TikTok's taken at a very low angle; as the Laughing Place video shows, the actual tableau is below waist height for lots of folks, so perhaps the only people who'd have the effect spoiled for them are rambunctious kids who didn't listen to a CM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom