News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, I agree - it would renew interest, and buy it time - but for how long?
Lower prices would help with repeat customers.
They sold it to themselves as they’d never NEED repeat visitors.

No competition…blue ocean. More on that in the future…

It’s not just the cost, not the awful choice on source material/theming, or the fact you’re asking people to pay to NOT get what is outside the fence for days - which is what 95% of any customer group is coming for…
…it’s that and 100 other things

Praetorians will blame chapek…Just as they didn’t blame Iger when he made Star Wars mistakes that make attack of the clones look like citizen Kane.

gorillaball

This was said from the day it was announced. Guess us naysayers were right, huh? 🤨
If you naysay everything you are going to be right occasionally.

I'm a little surprised at the reaction of some, how many brand new concepts are a complete success without modifications or alternations?

Disaster?

It's honestly yet to be seen how this turns out in 2-3 years. Even if it's completely shuttered, they built a small 100 room hotel and were generating $45-$90 million annually. Live and learn, there have been bigger disasters that lasted less time and didn't generate any direct revenue #Harmonious.

Last edited:

kingdead

They sold it to themselves as they’d never NEED repeat visitors.

No competition…blue ocean. More on that in the future…

It’s not just the cost, not the awful choice on source material/theming, or the fact you’re asking people to pay to NOT get what is outside the fence for days - which is what 95% of any customer group is coming for…
…it’s that and 100 other things

Praetorians will blame chapek…Just as they didn’t blame Iger when he made Star Wars mistakes that make attack of the clones look like citizen Kane.
Anecdotally, it seems like they're ONLY getting repeat customers. There's a very small pool of people who really like this sort of specific fan experience and have the money or credit to burn, and the Starcruiser does work if you're in that group. However, that's a small population and there's really no way to make it grow.

Financially, I wonder if this was a success as a kind of "whale kill"--getting enough people to spend wild amounts of money turned a profit, even if the whole thing only lasted less than 2 years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you naysay everything you are going to be right occasionally.

I'm a little surprised at the reaction of some, how many brand new concepts are a complete success without modifications or alternations?

Disaster?

It's honestly yet to be seen how this turns out in 2-3 years. Even if it's completely shuttered, they built a small 100 room hotel and were making generating $45-$90 million annually. Live and learn, there have been bigger disasters that lasted less time and didn't generate any direct revenue #Harmonious.

There is ample room to expand that is much much closer than this hotel, I see that as a 100% non factor.
Good to hear your opinions 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Anecdotally, it seems like they're ONLY getting repeat customers. There's a very small pool of people who really like this sort of specific fan experience and have the money or credit to burn, and the Starcruiser does work if you're in that group. However, that's a small population and there's really no way to make it grow.

Financially, I wonder if this was a success as a kind of "whale kill"--getting enough people to spend wild amounts of money turned a profit, even if the whole thing only lasted less than 2 years.
Cosplay/Star Wars geeks?

Yeah…they exist. Some older than me saw them in their infancy when we had landlines…and I can remember them 40ish years back

gorillaball

Good to hear your opinions 👍🏻
:)
1674167353215.png

TP2000

What a hilarious little gift this news was this afternoon! 🤣

So they're shutting it down and clearing it out on weeks in mid-summer. Cause... there was only one cabin left to book?

There's still only one cabin left through most of this winter, so why not send the drapes out to the dry cleaners and repaint the baseboards in the dead of February instead of July? :cool:

OnlyOneCabinLeft!.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney makes much more money on G+

This is why this thing is doomed.
There are a lot of things that make less money than G+, should they all be discontinued?

IOW, if A is making less than B, then A is doomed!!!

Oh, no, it only profited us $10 million dollars instead of $200 million dollars... it's worthless... shut it down!!!

The illogic of this hurt my brain.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are a lot of things that make less money than G+, should they all be discontinued?

IOW, if A is making less than B, then A is doomed!!!

Oh, no, it only profited us $10 million dollars instead of $200 million dollars... it's worthless... shut it down!!!

The illogic of this hurt my brain.
g+ is sunk cost…
So the more on it each day, the more they make. Costs don’t escalate.

This is not.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was wrong about Disney and LFL this whole time…

I blamed Kathy kennedy for at least half of the gross mismanagement and embarrassing missteps. But I was wrong. Research and events over the years definitely says that the reason they have mismanaged Lucasfilm…particularly Star Wars…for 10 years, 75 days is 100% due to this recently identified suspect:

1674170299845.jpeg

Last edited:

TP2000

I said weeks ago, that changing the theme to a Vader theme would certainly bump up the crowds.
In part, because there is a large portion of fans out there that outright said they wouldn't do this cruise because they have no interest in most of the characters it involves.

No, no, no. The people want to see Captain Keevan! She is the heroic and inspirational leader we need now in our lives!

Captain-Keenan-575x500.jpg

Vader who? R2 what?

You know what the people really want for their $4,000 two night stay???.... They want lobby line dancing lessons from a perky hostess wearing a dental hygienists uniform! (But they'll need to close in July/August to repaint the baseboards and send the drapes to the dry cleaners, so please don't try and book this line dancing trip in summer.)

"AAAMAAZING!" -Perky Lobby Hostess using her best themed phrasing from the Star Wars Galaxy Culture 🤣 🤣 🤣

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, no, no. The people want to see Captain Keevan! She is the heroic and inspirational leader we need now in our lives!

Captain-Keenan-575x500.jpg

Vader who? R2 what?

You know what the people really want for their $4,000 two night stay???.... They want lobby line dancing lessons from a perky hostess wearing a dental hygienists uniform! (But they'll need to close in July/August to repaint the baseboards and send the drapes to the dry cleaners, so please don't try and book this line dancing trip in summer.)

"AAAMAAZING!" -Perky Lobby Hostess using her best themed phrasing from the Star Wars Galaxy Culture 🤣 🤣 🤣

Believe it or not…I have seen/read almost nothing about what goes on in there…

I know the Controls are clunky, the food is an intergalactic version of a mk crapeteria…and they completely punt on the lightsaber thing (which is 90-% of the point of Star Wars cosplay)…

And now after reading this I gotta ask what the actual Hell is going on in there?
It looks ridiculous…like what people who have never seen Star Wars think Star Wars fans would like?…

…wait…think I just solved the riddle 🙄

TP2000

So they're shutting it down and clearing it out on weeks in mid-summer.
As usual, you misrepresent the facts.

It's not clearing it out on *weeks*.

Would it make you feel better if, instead of "clearing it out on weeks", I had used the phrase "clearing it out during weeks in mid-summer"???

Or, would you like me to be the most gramattically accurate and state that they are clearing it out for 20 days over 10 weeks in the peak of summer? Because that seems even more unflattering to this failing and embarrassingly cheap concept.

I think it's best to go with "clearing it out during weeks in mid-summer".

Whichever grammar option you go with, that's still a lot of baseboards that need repainting this summer! 🧐

NotClosedForWeeksYouGuys!StopIt!I'mSerious!.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Everybody knows you do your out of order work in a hotel in lake buena vista when the kids aren’t in school…

You gotta have those rooms online two weeks after Labor Day and the week before thanksgiving to deal with the non-family siege

Last edited:

TP2000

P.S. Because there's always a few folks who will be upset for criticizing a poorly trained and badly managed hourly Cast Member, the perky lobby hostess is not to blame.

She was set up to fail at this by her executive leadership who created this concept so badly. Then she was set up to fail a second time by her on-site training teams at TDO's Disney University who (allegedly) taught her how to behave as an employee of Chandrila Star Line. Then she was set up to fail a third and final time by her on-site management who are so badly trained themselves in the art of luxury hospitality that they think this behavior is entirely appropriate both within the Star Wars theme universe and the lobby of a luxury hotel.

So, this poor CM dear, as perky as she is and as hard as she's trying to make it all work, was set up to fail by multiple levels of Disney Company leadership on multiple key occasions for years prior to this one unfortunate line dancing class in the lobby. Almost all of this failure is really not her fault.

That said... I cringe at how she thinks the 2020's slang word "AMAAAAZING" is thematically appropriate here. A little bit of self-awareness is needed by even front line CM's. ;)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom