News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You know what would draw tremendous interest in the Starcruiser?
One that featured Darth Vader.
Crazy enough to be true.
The Galactic Star Cruiser is no more a hotel than a DCL vessel is a hotel. Hotel 'Ish accommodations, sure, but an actual resort NO. The GSC is its own category of sleep-in attraction. Overpriced sleep-in attraction but in its own category.
That sounds like a long winded way of saying “they really screwed up”
The presence of Lord Vader would definitely be a bonus to the show, but the issue seems to be the pricing that's the most glaring turn off.
The IP is terrible…it was DOA. But they made two lands and a hotel based on 6 bad movies before they even hit the screens…2 Movies never even got made

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Padme & Anakin and Han & Leia all travelled on the Halcyon--separated by decades. I imagine this was done purposefully to give them flexibility.
Maybe a CM could tell their story and suddenly... there's a flashback!!

flahsback.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok, Ok, Ok, got it clearly not a fan.
It’s not that. I could list 400 mistakes they made without breaking a sweat…

But nobody cares what I think…what matters is what the consumers think. And they rejected the whole slate. Go find all that hot Christmas “Rey” and “kylo ren” merch…
Go ahead…but pack lunch because you may not find it.

They failed. Complete disaster. And the missed opportunity is even worse for their bottom line longterm. Time to put on the big girl/boy pants and trust what the audience as concluded.

It’s a Business. They’re not supposed to mess up to that level.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Thoughts: Iger coming back to "right wrongs" which MAY include Kathleen Kennedy facing an early retirement....to me, I would immediately start planning to get Galaxy's Edge and Starcruiser planned to go back to the Original Trilogy era, since a vast majority of the Disney+ shows are now set in that era. Every day that goes by, people are less and less invested in the sequel trilogy, but new stories are being constantly made from original trilogy era.

IMO it's foolish NOT to start planning for that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thoughts: Iger coming back to "right wrongs" which MAY include Kathleen Kennedy facing an early retirement....to me, I would immediately start planning to get Galaxy's Edge and Starcruiser planned to go back to the Original Trilogy era, since a vast majority of the Disney+ shows are now set in that era. Every day that goes by, people are less and less invested in the sequel trilogy, but new stories are being constantly made from original trilogy era.

IMO it's foolish NOT to start planning for that.
See…I think the disaster at Star Wars was on Iger…not kennedy.

There is no way Kathy kennedy decided autonomously to do a reboot with no story fleshed out who’s prime “goal” was to off the iconic characters.

That was boardroom kinda stuff taking the advice of bad advisors/analysts.

He could make kennedy the fall girl…but I’ll never believe it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
See…I think the disaster at Star Wars was on Iger…not kennedy.

There is no way Kathy kennedy decided autonomously to do a reboot with no story fleshed out who’s prime “goal” was to off the iconic characters.

That was boardroom kinda stuff taking the advice of bad advisors/analysts.

He could make kennedy the fall girl…but I’ll never believe it.

I'm more thinking about what I HEARD though it could be completely incorrect that it was Kennedy's push to make Galaxy's Edge be sequel trilogy only....the more I think about it, the less sense it makes that she would be the deciding factor on that though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm more thinking about what I HEARD though it could be completely incorrect that it was Kennedy's push to make Galaxy's Edge be sequel trilogy only....the more I think about it, the less sense it makes that she would be the deciding factor on that though.
I still think that all the LFL/Star Wars mistakes was bad advice to Iger and a peeing contest after the buyout went kinda sideways with Lucas. Which Iger speaks about in his book and Braverman had commented on prior. Pair that with what Michael arndt said back in 2015 about “mandates” and the story seems to point toward the new “soft, compassionate” Bob Iger

kingdead

I still think that all the LFL/Star Wars mistakes was bad advice to Iger and a peeing contest after the buyout went kinda sideways with Lucas. Which Iger speaks about in his book and Braverman had commented on prior. Pair that with what Michael arndt said back in 2015 about “mandates” and the story seems to point toward the new “soft, compassionate” Bob Iger
How did it go wrong? I thought that was a clean sale, even if Lucas regretted it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How did it go wrong? I thought that was a clean sale, even if Lucas regretted it.
That’s a Hollywood he said/he said

The consensus - from all their own mouths - is Lucas appeared to believe he’d maintain significant creative control/influence and iger/braverman said they had to lay it out to him in the sale. Iger expressed that as a “regret”

So Disney didn’t understand the beast they bought…and it “ate them”. And since the sequel debacle they have had to make peace with George to rebuild their cred. It’s all over the behind the scenes stuff oh D+

None of them are saints/angels. To be clear.

Incomudro

It’s not that. I could list 400 mistakes they made without breaking a sweat…

But nobody cares what I think…what matters is what the consumers think. And they rejected the whole slate. Go find all that hot Christmas “Rey” and “kylo ren” merch…
Go ahead…but pack lunch because you may not find it.

They failed. Complete disaster. And the missed opportunity is even worse for their bottom line longterm. Time to put on the big girl/boy pants and trust what the audience as concluded.

It’s a Business. They’re not supposed to mess up to that level.
I gave it a chance, at least with Force Awakens.
I understood why they would want to work with new films given they were introducing them to a new audience who would grow up on them, go to the parks, raise kids of their own etc.
But they blew it with those films, and actually sabotaged the foundation of Star Wars while doing so.
They went after the fan base as well.
Terrible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I gave it a chance, at least with Force Awakens.
I understood why they would want to work with new films given they were introducing them to a new audience who would grow up on them, go to the parks, raise kids of their own etc.
But they blew it with those films, and actually sabotaged the foundation of Star Wars while doing so.
They went after the fan base as well.
Terrible.
I honestly don’t know how anybody with a brain stem doesn’t conclude this at this point? Unless it’s to be contrarian…

They got some REALLY bad advice when you break it down.

And for the record: I was really optimistic when Disney bought it. The thought was there was no way they could make mistakes after so much prequel blow back? How could you when Lucas had struggled for 15 years and had so much capital built up with fans?

…what has happened is so crazy you almost can’t believe it. Stranger than fiction.

_caleb

I honestly don’t know how anybody with a brain stem doesn’t conclude this at this point? Unless it’s to be contrarian…

They got some REALLY bad advice when you break it down.

And for the record: I was really optimistic when Disney bought it. The thought was there was no way they could make mistakes after so much prequel blow back? How could you when Lucas had struggled for 15 years and had so much capital built up with fans?

…what has happened is so crazy you almost can’t believe it. Stranger than fiction.
Guess I don’t have a brain stem, because I think the PT is great. They moved on from the OT and PT. Too bad some of you weren’t able to move on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Guess I don’t have a brain stem, because I think the PT is great. They moved on from the OT and PT. Too bad some of you weren’t able to move on.
You’re in the minority…by far. The bottomline is the bottomline.

The steaming shows are 80% OT era with a schmatter of prequel cross over. The product is 95% OT and PT.

Doesn’t matter what I think…the consumers have spoken. Same with the fistful of Rian Johnson/KK defenders.

They pooched it. Disney too.

Last edited:

_caleb

You’re in the minority…by far. The bottomline is the bottomline.
Minority of what? Star Wars fans? The films’ audience? Or do you mean on these boards?
The steaming shows are 80% OT era with a schmatter of prequel cross over. The product is 95% OT and PT.
We can’t like both? Why not let go of your missed expectations and just enjoy all three eras?
Doesn’t matter what I think the consumers have spoken. Same with the fistful of Rian Johnson/KK defenders.
Fortunately, Disney+ puts Disney in a position to give different kinds of fans different kinds of content. How would you feel about a Book of Boba Fett overlay of the Galactic Starcruiser? Maybe an Obi-wan Kenobi side mission?
They pooched it. Disney too.
Original Trilogy Star Wars fansites exist. Maybe you’d be happier on one of those?

MrPromey

This thing might be fun and maybe something I would do if they did not have iteneraries and try to push you through interacting with a story. Leave me alone and let me experience the place the way I'd like to experience it and I would go.

It seems there is not enough of "the place" to experience without the itineraries, though.

Activities all have limited capacity so they have to schedule them to give everyone a chance to cycle through and since it isn't a real cruise, the facility lacks a lot of the amenities people would expect for an at-your-own-pace experience.

The story and the character interactions are the whole deal and that's done with paid actors so you can't expect to be able to just go off on your own and stumble into an "adventure". That chance surprise encounter has to be scheduled to make sure everybody's at their markers when you walk in.

Otherwise, what is there to this experience?

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Minority of what? Star Wars fans? The films’ audience? Or do you mean on these boards?

We can’t like both? Why not let go of your missed expectations and just enjoy all three eras?

Fortunately, Disney+ puts Disney in a position to give different kinds of fans different kinds of content. How would you feel about a Book of Boba Fett overlay of the Galactic Starcruiser? Maybe an Obi-wan Kenobi side mission?

Original Trilogy Star Wars fansites exist. Maybe you’d be happier on one of those?
You’ve got me confused with a cosplay guy…

I’m saying it’s a BUSINESS failure - which it is - and that’s all that matters.

The miss on sequels will cost them a fortune…for forever.

You can believe me now…or wait a certain amount of time and believe me later 😎

ehh

It seems there is not enough of "the place" to experience without the itineraries, though.

Activities all have limited capacity so they have to schedule them to give everyone a chance to cycle through and since it isn't a real cruise, the facility lacks a lot of the amenities people would expect for an at-your-own-pace "criuise".

The story and the character interactions are the whole deal and that's done with paid actors so you can't expect to be able to just go off on your own and stumble into an "adventure". That chance surprise encounter has to be scheduled to make sure everybody's at their markers when you walk in.

Completely agree on these points.

You can peruse the entire ship and fully enjoy Sublight Lounge (drinks and Sabacc) between boarding and muster, just a few hours.

Yeah, there's parts you can't explore until the story unlocks them later but the locked spaces are purpose-built for the story and there's very little to them when exploring on your own. We managed to tailgate into a couple of these spaces before they unlocked for our story path and there was really no point for us to be there without the story making it relevant. We left almost immediately.

I guess if you wanted to go off-story you could play a lot of space bingo.

Incomudro

Activities all have limited capacity so they have to schedule them to give everyone a chance to cycle through and since it isn't a real cruise, the facility lacks a lot of the amenities people would expect for an at-your-own-pace experience.

Yes, the experience was conceived and constructed as a live theater environment.
Guests go to staged areas where the show is acted out.
It's not constructed as a full on space ship analogy.
As a ship alone there isn't all that much to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom