News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Animaniac93-98

There are a lot of possibilities. That said, do not be surprised if they simply shut it down if it’s not making “enough” money. Disney is not afraid of shutting something down and moving on.

If things got really bad, I could see Disney making this a "seasonal" offering, open on a sporadic schedule.

Then instead of announcing a closure, they would just stop posting dates available to book.

That's under the current hotel model. Far more likely it becomes another upcharge experience(s) like droids and lightsabers.

Disstevefan1

If things got really bad, I could see Disney making this a "seasonal" offering, open on a sporadic schedule.

Then instead of announcing a closure, they would just stop posting dates available to book.

That's under the current hotel model. Far more likely it becomes another upcharge experience(s) like droids and lightsabers.
Thats not a bad idea! Making it a seasonal offering will not only save costs but create artifical demand!
youreHired.jpg

Last edited:

wutisgood

Any hotel room not filled is money not made. Disney is no exception. I would have thought the price was set intentionally high to squeeze die-hards early and then make it look like a "deal" at a still outrageous but slightly cheaper price later. Bob is an greedy a-hole tho who would rather cut things or have rooms unfilled that have anyone expect discounts. Even if Disney got rid of most of the storyline and entertainment Disney would still sell rooms at some sort of more moderate premium. The cost to build this thing is sunk already.

_caleb

I wouldn't be surprised if the actual Starcruiser folds soon, though. Money is extremely tight right now and while people may still want that Disney trip in general, not being able to pay for groceries, the doctor, or car/house repairs because you put $6k on the cards for a 2-night trip? Just no!
Money is extremely tight right now for whom?

_caleb

Any hotel room not filled is money not made. Disney is no exception. I would have thought the price was set intentionally high to squeeze die-hards early and then make it look like a "deal" at a still outrageous but slightly cheaper price later. Bob is a greedy a-hole tho who would rather cut things or have rooms unfilled that have anyone expect discounts. Even if Disney got rid of most of the storyline and entertainment Disney would still sell rooms at some sort of more moderate premium. The cost to build this thing is sunk already.
Disney totally should have consulted with you before they made this terrible, but completely avoidable business decision.

kingdead

Money is extremely tight right now for whom?
Everyone! There's still a group of people who can comfortably pay for a $3k a night experience but that group was never huge and it's not like they're all die hard fans of cosplay and the Star Wars sequel trilogy. Disney was banking on people who could make their finances stretch to have this once in a lifetime experience, but those people just got hit with across the board price increases and are no longer able to make it work. Even those who might be able to go are more likely to hold that cash and credit in reserve instead.

This isn't Disney's fault--they couldn't control the timing--but they did create a product that was extremely expensive and therefore sensitive to downturns. Had they gone with the original dinner theater plan, they would have been able to offer tiered experiences that might attract more people at a slightly less extravagant entry price point. Maybe that would cut into profit because of increased labor and food costs, I don't know.

wutisgood

Everyone! There's still a group of people who can comfortably pay for a $3k a night experience but that group was never huge and it's not like they're all die hard fans of cosplay and the Star Wars sequel trilogy. Disney was banking on people who could make their finances stretch to have this once in a lifetime experience, but those people just got hit with across the board price increases and are no longer able to make it work. Even those who might be able to go are more likely to hold that cash and credit in reserve instead.

This isn't Disney's fault--they couldn't control the timing--but they did create a product that was extremely expensive and therefore sensitive to downturns. Had they gone with the original dinner theater plan, they would have been able to offer tiered experiences that might attract more people at a slightly less extravagant entry price point. Maybe that would cut into profit because of increased labor and food costs, I don't know.
Most people are already making their finances stretch for a normal trip to Disney. Eventually people run out of stretch.

G00fyDad

I've had the money and am a diehard Star Wars fan. This experience never really seemed appealling to me, at all. I do not like being constrained to a set experience and schedule (despite my over-planning a trip) and I do not relish the idea of being "in it" all the time all day long. No thanks. They should have gone with a different idea than a hotel experience at a lower price point.

Disstevefan1

I am still trying to get past it isn't Disney's fault for creating this experience at this price point.....

Disstevefan1

The more I think about it the more I am liking a "closed until further notice".

Look at what the shutdown of the parks did for the demand to go to the parks.

As soon as its announced its closed, folks will start to ask when its gonna reopen and demand will build.

kingdead

I've had the money and am a diehard Star Wars fan. This experience never really seemed appealling to me, at all. I do not like being constrained to a set experience and schedule (despite my over-planning a trip) and I do not relish the idea of being "in it" all the time all day long. No thanks. They should have gone with a different idea than a hotel experience at a lower price point.
I'm being generous because from the reviews I've seen, if you have the fan interest AND the money AND the personality to enjoy this specific sort of experience, the product is good! The problem is that that group is tiny and now it's even smaller.
I am still trying to get past it isn't Disney's fault for creating this experience at this price point.....
I don't fault them for creating this experience. I do fault them for not creating enjoyable experiences for other guests at more reasonable price points. A lot was either cut or paywalled from Galaxy's Edge and it's a shame.

GimpYancIent

It is not whether anyone can or cannot afford the price tag. The product value / worth is not in line with the price. Many can easily afford the price but do not see the worth in the product. To assume that simply because people can afford something they will buy it is ludicrous.

MagicHappens1971

Wasn't this originally supposed to be a dinner theater anyway?
I never heard that but if so, they should have gone with this idea!

The character of Gaya (who performs at dinner on the first night of the cruise) was originally designed for a TSR at GE that was going to be a dinner theatre-esque experience. That was cut. Galaxy’s Edge and the Starcruiser were developed in unison

MagicHappens1971

This experience was never a “dinner theatre” as I mentioned above. A dinner theatre (TSR) was planned for Galaxy’s Edge. But this experience was designed in unison and is not a replacement/substitute

Disstevefan1

The character of Gaya (who performs at dinner on the first night of the cruise) was originally designed for a TSR at GE that was going to be a dinner theatre-esque experience. That was cut. Galaxy’s Edge and the Starcruiser were developed in unison
Oh yes, I remember now. They should rip out the cabins and convert the Starcruiser into dinner theatre-esque experience.

MagicHappens1971

Oh yes, I remember now. They should rip out the cabins and convert the Starcruiser into dinner theatre-esque experience.
If push came to shove, they could put up walls/doors in front of the cabin hallways and then convert it into a dinner-show/theatre esque thing. Boardings start at 10am for arguments sake, you can pay to add Lightsaber and Bridge training, spend time in the engineering room, and then have dinner with Gaya, with a bit of a change up of story and then have the finale with Kylo & Rey after dinner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom