News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

GimpYancIent

The first four months are down to only two cruises that are not fully booked.

From July to September the number of fully-booked cruises has risen from 5 last week to 13 now.

Who knows how many more would be booked if the Halcyon call center wasn't a 2 hour wait.

View attachment 628003

View attachment 628004

View attachment 628005
Who knows?, right, there is no massive demand. Now that the Ooooh and Aaaah is over and thanks to all the videos out there people have a reasonable idea what its about and what to expect the question of "is it worth it?" is looming large in a lot of minds. There are people that want to do it and more power to them, there are also people that decide it is not worth it to them and find more value in doing something else, more power to them too. The clear fact is the demand is not where the Star Cruiser advocates want it to be.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Who knows?, right, there is no massive demand. Now that the Ooooh and Aaaah is over and thanks to all the videos out there people have a reasonable idea what its about and what to expect the question of "is it worth it?" is looming large in a lot of minds. There are people that want to do it and more power to them, there are also people that decide it is not worth it to them and find more value in doing something else, more power to them too. The clear fact is the demand is not where the Star Cruiser advocates want it to be.
Which advocates would that be? Unless you work for Disney, no one knows if all those dates that aren't sold out are at 10% occupancy or 90% occupancy or somewhere in between.

It's not completely selling out immediately (tho, given the horrendous lack of CS agents to take calls, it couldn't possibly be with that bottleneck). But it's going to be a while before they hit a cruise that isn't sold out.

And again, even if not sold out, a cruise at 90% is still profit.

So, it's not a fail. It's not a wild success. It's not time tested yet.

I'm an advocate for them running out of whales able to pay full price so they start discounting it so I can afford it.

Wendy Pleakley

People were salivating at the prospect of this failing.

Here we are, and it's actually getting stellar reviews. And still, people are clinging to this notion that no one wants to do it.

We'll see where it lands long term, but given the minimal occupancy rate I don't see this heading into discount territory any time soon.

I still hope they find ways to bring this type of experience to a broader audience. Some sort of After Hours experience in the park for example, that lets people experience a smaller version of this type of storytelling, at a more accessible price point.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
I still hope they find ways to bring this type of experience to a broader audience. Some sort of After Hours experience in the park for example, that lets people experience a smaller version of this type of storytelling, at a more accessible price point.

Hoping that somebody at WDW is thinking this same thing. IMHO, it works on both ends - those who can't afford Halcyon could still get an immersive, interactive experience (like we thought Galaxy's Edge might be) and Disney can basically print money because you know the demand would be very large.

lewisc

Do we know if there is any scenario where the First Order wins for one voyage? I understand, for the most part, the outcome is pre determined about as much as professional wrestling.

DCBaker

Premium Member

FOpq4ntUcAIQM80.jpeg
FOpq4nqUcB4MOFn.jpeg

jinx8402

Hoping that somebody at WDW is thinking this same thing. IMHO, it works on both ends - those who can't afford Halcyon could still get an immersive, interactive experience (like we thought Galaxy's Edge might be) and Disney can basically print money because you know the demand would be very large.
The only way I see something like this happening is if it is selling enough to not shut down, but not well enough to have cruises depart every 3 days. Maybe they would see data that only the weekend cruises sell out or are close to it because people are using it as starter/ender of a larger trip for the most part. Maybe they would only do weekend cruises, then during the Tues-Thurs timeframe they do single day "sales pitch". The sales pitch could be part of the story, sort of like timeshare presentations/pitches.

Actually, now that I stated the sales pitch story idea, that would be one way to make it work story wise for the current schedule. Maybe it is offered as a "tour style" sales pitch during the Batuu excursion. But I still see the first option of really being the only way we see a single day budget version.

Trauma

The first four months are down to only two cruises that are not fully booked.

From July to September the number of fully-booked cruises has risen from 5 last week to 13 now.

Who knows how many more would be booked if the Halcyon call center wasn't a 2 hour wait.

View attachment 628003

View attachment 628004

View attachment 628005
This has already failed. You can cheerlead for it all you want it won’t help. This was always going to be booked up year one. I have talked personally to 12 different people who have been there. Same story from everyone. It’s good but not worth the money.

If this experience is still open in its current form in 3 years I will eat my words. I find that highly unlikely though.

mergatroid

This has already failed. You can cheerlead for it all you want it won’t help. This was always going to be booked up year one. I have talked personally to 12 different people who have been there. Same story from everyone. It’s good but not worth the money.

If this experience is still open in its current form in 3 years I will eat my words. I find that highly unlikely though.
So you're not sure but are certain? :D

UNCgolf

I don't think they'll be able to charge these prices long-term, and I think there will be discounts offered for at least some dates within a couple of years, but saying it's already a failure is a bit premature. Seems like it's going to be very successful early on.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

I don't think they'll be able to charge these prices long-term, and I think there will be discounts offered for at least some dates within a couple of years, but saying it's already a failure seems a bit premature.
Depends on what each person deems a failure. To offer discounts and / or modify the experience to cost cut and have a different pricing model could be a failure or it could mean long term success. It all depends on your point of view. The one common point / issue / comment made about this experience is the cost. Disney brass is going to hold on to the pricing as long as possible to squeeze every cent possible from the guests then reluctantly move to something acceptable to the general public.

lewisc

There is a lot. Disney can do.

Market for business buy out an entire voyage. Add on for best XXX employees. business booking.

Mix up the experience. Have some vvoyages in the Mandalorium time line.

Run fewer voyages to a avoid slashing prices. Dinner show, overnight stay then breakfast.

Edited to add DESTINATION WEDDING

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Has anyone done the maths? How many cruises do they need to sell to turn a profit?
Let's say it's an average $5,500 per room per 'cruise.'
time 100 rooms per cruise​
= $550,00 revenue per cruise​

A cruise is two days, so, there will be 182 cruises. That is over $100M revenue per year.

Now, how much did it cost to build?
How many people work there at what salary?
What's the cost of maintaining room and board and utilities and amenities?
How much are they making in merch sales and upsells?

Don't know.

UNCgolf

A cruise is two days, so, there will be 182 cruises. That is over $100M revenue per year.

Don't know.

I'm curious what it costs to operate compared to a regular Disney resort. It certainly requires less staff overall -- not just because it's smaller, but because they also don't need landscaping/groundskeeping, etc. -- but they're also likely paying most of the staff significantly more than regular resort staff. It also has a ton of additional technical support/upkeep compared to a standard resort because of all of the screens and effects, and they can't really afford to have anything not working at the price point.

Regardless, I'm sure that if every cruise was sold out they would turn a very nice profit.

Disstevefan1

Don't know.
We will know sooner rather than later once the bean counters crunch the numbers.
Disney makes money on this for sure.
It will come down to if they are making what the bean counters determine is "enough" money...

Disney4Lyfe

We will know sooner rather than later once the bean counters crunch the numbers.
Disney makes money on this for sure.
It will come down to if they are making what the bean counters determine is "enough" money...
The question I was driving at, was, how full does this thing need to be, to turn a profit?

Do they need 90% occupancy? 75%

What happens when the initial demand does out, and if they then only get 70% full?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom