News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

flynnibus

Premium Member
The Starcruiser seems to require a whole new level of "buy in", both with the aesthetics, the food, the unfamiliar characters (other than Ray, Chewie and Kylo Ren at the VERY end) etc.

At this level of investment on Disney's part, the investment needed on marketing and finally, whether the guests feel whether they can buy-in to this unique story. It should be, as soon as ANY marketing material comes out...the #1 response should be something akin to "OMG THEY DID IT!!" not "Um...really? it doesn't look/feel right"

This would have been made easier if Disney had promoted some shows or previews on Disney+ that were JUST about a storyline and not "Behind the scenes" or something like that. A lot of what we heard about for comics or stupid mentions of Han and Leia were JUST before the whole thing opened.
If it wasn't already popular - it wouldn't have helped with that familiarity front.

Remember when people endlessly complained about Hondo in Smuggler's run? He was a major character in their TV show for years. But the majority out there weren't familiar with him.. so pitchforks out.

Part of the entertainment of an interactive live theatre thing is the Discovery portion. Disney was right to not 'lay it all out' - problem is what they did end up picking to lead with was garbage. And this is a low volume thing - you really don't want to oversell it because it just creates even more demand issues or worse.. consumer conflicts where people feel they are being pushed something that doesn't work for them.

Eventually all the expectation angst will pass and people will accept it's not the OT, it's not a WDW hotel, etc and people will be focusing more on what they actually get in their experience.

pdude81

The chandeliers are obviously a Prequel-like gilded touch. Doesn't hurt that it looks like the CGI of that era. The fact that it looks that ways in photos (I've rarely seen them in the vlogs as the focus is more on the food on the table and the show) is pretty impressive. It looked and still looks hyper-realistic. Of course, it's not a space we've ever seen in any trilogy. There are small cantinas and personal dining rooms, but we've only seen a large space like this... maybe the officer's lounge in the Mandalorian S2? There's not much comp. Of course, there's also the inset lighting bars that are reminiscent of Imperial lighting and the panel and doors at the other end. But mainly it's wholesale original because there's little source material to draw on.
Bless your heart for this serious response.

lentesta

Premium Member
The ppl I know who have gone, which is quite a few, say the ship feels quite Star Wars-y, but all agree the dining room is a weak point.

The dining room has a specal nighttime lighting package that is definitely more Star Wars-y than, say, the cafeteria lighting in the morning. But in the morning, all I wanted was some carbs and caffeine (and bacon), so I didn't care as much about lighting.

The stuff at night with the lights, I'm not sure is being captured in all its glory on video or in photos.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The dining room has a specal nighttime lighting package that is definitely more Star Wars-y than, say, the cafeteria lighting in the morning. But in the morning, all I wanted was some carbs and caffeine (and bacon), so I didn't care as much about lighting.

The stuff at night with the lights, I'm not sure is being captured in all its glory on video or in photos.

Looked like a Disco club in video...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Well, it would probably help if the LED lights weren't re-creating the fluorescent lights of a school cafeteria. They could have the lights add some warm yellows and oranges for a sunrise look at breakfast, and maybe a sky blue splash of light for lunch.

TikibirdLand

Well, it would probably help if the LED lights weren't re-creating the fluorescent lights of a school cafeteria. They could have the lights add some warm yellows and oranges for a sunrise look at breakfast, and maybe a sky blue splash of light for lunch.
LEDs and projections could do SO MUCH to improve the room's aesthetic. A lot of commercial settings continue to replicate florescents when dialing in the color of the LEDs they use. Would be interesting to study peoples' shopping patterns when a bit of warmer color is used or maybe even if the color changes subtly. Projections could be used effectively here to reproduce blaster "hits" and saber damage. Seems like a lost chance.

lentesta

Premium Member

I'll mention this when I get the survey. Stuff like that should be straightforward to test and change - it's not like they need to knock down a wall or re-route plumbing.

UNCgolf

The whole design of the room looks exceptionally bad to me compared to the rest of the Starcruiser -- not just in terms of Star Wars, but in terms of anything remotely upscale -- but improved lighting always helps.

celluloid

The whole design of the room looks exceptionally bad to me compared to the rest of the Starcruiser -- not just in terms of Star Wars, but in terms of anything remotely upscale -- but improved lighting always helps.

The walls are 70s and 80s sci fi. Which is Star Wars Passable for hallways and with some of the larger pannels reminds me of what Disney can and has done better with EPCOT.

The ceiling and floors are particularly bad. The ceilings perhaps as a roof to complete a very detailed scene on the sides in a dark ride, the ground, I am not even sure how that is justified.

corran horn

I wonder if this guy feels a tad foolish? :D

I'm searching for bad reviews on youtube from paying guests as they're the only ones that can be trusted, but all I see is positive stuff. I did have this one pop up but surprise, surprise, alas he's not been. Instead he decided to jump the gun and call this without any idea what it would entail yet judged himself wise enough to mock it as a failure and absolute proof that Disney can't do anything right.

These people never feel foolish.

corran horn

The driver should be watching the road, not what's to the side. Everyone else should be wearing their immersion helmet.

View attachment 625783

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom