News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Wendy Pleakley

It's supposed to be an industrial cruise port, I guess. The arrival experience is pretty terrible - entering in through the cast parking lot and they really didn't try to hide the "coffin" like hotel, which people driving by often mistake for a prison.

Many Disney attractions are housed in warehouses. Sometimes they're visible from outside the parks, sometimes not.

Personally, I don't care. If the illusion is in place within the park, I'm fine. It doesn't bother me seeing an unthemed backside of Everest.

Could this be better? Perhaps, I haven't seen it in person. However, my instinct is that it doesn't matter. The story begins when you enter the shuttle pod, not when you drive by the nondescript building.

The value of making this look nice from the outside just doesn't seem worth any expense to me. Unless they build an actual spaceship that you drive up to, there's going to have to be some suspension of disbelief.

We can argue that the ship should be something you drive up to. After all, when passengers board large ships in Star Wars it's portrayed as taking place on the planet surface. Taking a shuttle is more of a Star Trek thing. However, it's not realistic to build something of that scale. They've done what makes sense for a simulated cruise.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Many Disney attractions are housed in warehouses. Sometimes they're visible from outside the parks, sometimes not.

Personally, I don't care. If the illusion is in place within the park, I'm fine. It doesn't bother me seeing an unthemed backside of Everest.

Could this be better? Perhaps, I haven't seen it in person. However, my instinct is that it doesn't matter. The story begins when you enter the shuttle pod, not when you drive by the nondescript building.

The value of making this look nice from the outside just doesn't seem worth any expense to me. Unless they build an actual spaceship that you drive up to, there's going to have to be some suspension of disbelief.

We can argue that the ship should be something you drive up to. After all, when passengers board large ships in Star Wars it's portrayed as taking place on the planet surface. Taking a shuttle is more of a Star Trek thing. However, it's not realistic to build something of that scale. They've done what makes sense for a simulated cruise.
Very big ships rarely dock planet-side. Especially for Star Destroyers parking on planets, it doesn't always go well...

1646537417411.png

Make sure you tell your travel agent that you don't want a sand-view room.

1646537470388.png

Guest being greeted by the concierge.

TrojanUSC

I think it's not really a fair comparison between the two. Sure you can see the backside of Everest from a few angles in the parking lot and Osceola Parkway, but you can't see it from the main entrance or in the park. Your approach to Everest is pretty seamless. DINOSAUR is in a massive building, which is also visible from the parking lot, but WDI went through great expense to hide the entire structure from guests in the park.

You also don't see the big warehouse behind Splash Mountain as you walk up to it, you just see a mountain. I used to take people backstage on tours and they'd be absolutely shocked that the Haunted Mansion wasn't actually in the mansion structure.

In the case of Galactic Starcruiser, you don't just catch a couple passing glimpses from Osceola Parkway, your entire approach to the hotel is seeing the backside of SWGE and the un-themed prison-like hotel building. It's tacky and lazy. It's like if your arrival to Magic Kingdom was walking through the executive parking lot behind Main Street instead of Main Street itself. The Disney of 20+ years ago never would have let that happen, the same way they wouldn't have let the ugly un-themed underside of the Polynesian porte-cochère be the final product or the BBB at Epcot dominate the skyline instead of Spaceship Earth.

They didn't have to "make it look nice" they could have constructed a new entrance road, instead of leading guests through the cast parking lot, which would have obstructed the service areas, or changed the orientation of the building.

GimpYancIent

I think it's not really a fair comparison between the two. Sure you can see the backside of Everest from a few angles in the parking lot and Osceola Parkway, but you can't see it from the main entrance or in the park. Your approach to Everest is pretty seamless. DINOSAUR is in a massive building, which is also visible from the parking lot, but WDI went through great expense to hide the entire structure from guests in the park.

You also don't see the big warehouse behind Splash Mountain as you walk up to it, you just see a mountain. I used to take people backstage on tours and they'd be absolutely shocked that the Haunted Mansion wasn't actually in the mansion structure.

In the case of Galactic Starcruiser, you don't just catch a couple passing glimpses from Osceola Parkway, your entire approach to the hotel is seeing the backside of SWGE and the un-themed prison-like hotel building. It's tacky and lazy. It's like if your arrival to Magic Kingdom was walking through the executive parking lot behind Main Street instead of Main Street itself. The Disney of 20+ years ago never would have let that happen, the same way they wouldn't have let the ugly un-themed underside of the Polynesian porte-cochère be the final product or the BBB at Epcot dominate the skyline instead of Spaceship Earth.

They didn't have to "make it look nice" they could have constructed a new entrance road, instead of leading guests through the cast parking lot, which would have obstructed the service areas, or changed the orientation of the building.
All true but in a way it is disguised as something else, for detail just put some razor wire on top of the chain link fence and VOILA a prison.

stephmtl

If you don't mind, can you ask the cruise director whether they'll be showing the 9-part space epic "Space Robots in Outer Space" on board? I'm trying to make it a running joke within the story.
My backstory is as a coruscanti oligarch complaining about how much money he lost on those Hank Lonely robot movies.

yensidtlaw1969

To further your point, the only spot the DINOSAUR show building is visible from in the parking lot is this one - only a small sliver of the building is revealed at the most extreme edge of the lot, and there's no visible indicator anywhere of what it actually is. You literally have to be on this exact stretch of road to even have a chance of seeing it. And no guest would ever know what the corner of this green building was unless the went to the lengths of weirdos like us to discover it. Safe to say, it ruins no illusions for the DINOSAUR experience:

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 1.15.30 AM.png

This to say, I agree with your points.

It seems especially silly to me because all Disney had to do was route an exit off a little sooner off Osceola Parkway - there's a seemingly suitable pathway already.

Forgive the outdated aerial photo - the big dirt pile is, of course, where the Starcruiser now sits, the Red Line is the path guests actually take to get to the Starcruiser, and the Green Line is a path they could have paved instead to avoid views of both the Starcruiser Building and the Galaxy's Edge Warehouses:

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 1.23.01 AM copy2.jpg

The Mom

Premium Member
Is there a link to why there are persona non grata? Trying to understand what the issue is there, not that I'm trying to figure out how to get on that list 😂
This site has been around for over 20 years, so the list is fairly long. Suffice to say it's a combination of banned posters, sites that may have "borrowed" content, etc. The average poster does not need to know who is on the list. If someone inadvertently posts something, it is just quietly deleted but no further action is taken against the poster. Unless a poster ignores the ToS which states that any questions about moderation should be taken up privately with the mods - not posted.

SilentWindODoom

Is there a link to why there are persona non grata? Trying to understand what the issue is there, not that I'm trying to figure out how to get on that list 😂

I must admit, while I understand that you can't outright say if you're sitewide banning a certain source because there may be legal ramifications if that source wants to be a prick (which they probably are to deserve the ban in the first place), this entire "site who shall not be named" thing started being said during a big of a gap in visits during the 18 years I've been happily frequenting this place so I have absolutely no idea what exactly people are talking about, which is tough to rectify when no one will name the site. o_O

EDIT: Whoops. Got ninja'd by a voice I *definitely* remember from these many years. Guess there's more than one source and that's more than enough reason for the ban. 😅

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

This site has been around for over 20 years, so the list is fairly long. Suffice to say it's a combination of banned posters, sites that may have "borrowed" content, etc. The average poster does not need to know who is on the list. If someone inadvertently posts something, it is just quietly deleted but no further action is taken against the poster. Unless a poster ignores the ToS which states that any questions about moderation should be taken up privately with the mods - not posted.
Absolutely; You are very clear.
1646577887665.png

lewisc

Test
To further your point, the only spot the DINOSAUR show building is visible from in the parking lot is this one - only a small sliver of the building is revealed at the most extreme edge of the lot, and there's no visible indicator anywhere of what it actually is. You literally have to be on this exact stretch of road to even have a chance of seeing it. And no guest would ever know what the corner of this green building was unless the went to the lengths of weirdos like us to discover it. Safe to say, it ruins no illusions for the DINOSAUR experience:

View attachment 625673

This to say, I agree with your points.

It seems especially silly to me because all Disney had to do was route an exit off a little sooner off Osceola Parkway - there's a seemingly suitable pathway already.

Forgive the outdated aerial photo - the big dirt pile is, of course, where the Starcruiser now sits, the Red Line is the path guests actually take to get to the Starcruiser, and the Green Line is a path they could have paved instead to avoid views of both the Starcruiser Building and the Galaxy's Edge Warehouses:

View attachment 625675
Apparently Disney didn't want to spend the extra time and money to relocate the exit from Osceola Parkway a very short distance East.

Years ago Disney might have done what you suggested.

Incomudro

The bigger problem by far is that guests for the Starcruiser see the unthemed back of GE.
That's really poor show.
Disney should put them in a bus with blacked out windows on that side or something.

_caleb

Well, if it was a really well done restoration - it'd look essentially all new.
Responding to you here in the Starcruiser thread.
I‘m saying that if they used paint effects to add a “patina,” make the cheap materials seem higher-quality, and “age” the ship, (NOT making it feel dirty or damaged) it would feel more Starwarsy.

Then they would should also back off of the narrative that “we‘ve completely restored this really old luxury ship so it looks brand new,” which I think was only included to try to explain in-story why everything looks new and plasticky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom