News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

celluloid

This is where all the big stuff starts happening on day 2. If you burn that time in DHS you're really setting your money on fire. Now if someone got stuck out there and needed to get back somehow, I'm sure they'd run a one off shuttle to return them to the "ship".

Are big things happening on the Starcruiser from 8pm until 9:30pm? That is a time they could have people willing to play in Batuu since that park is open until 9pm on tonight, such as tonight, and probably until ten soon in the summer. This will allow more play time for those side missions and rides as well.

the 4pm ending shuttle time is purely for Disney's convenience.

LSLS

It is indeed a success... so far. Could that change in the scenario that the initial attendees were somehow not representative of the kind of people who later signed up for this and those later guests find the immersion tedious and the whole thing woefully overpriced, get mad at Disney, and spend the rest of their days on a WDW fan site criticizing anything they can about Disney? I guess. Is that likely? Probably not. Especially since to sign up you have to get over the bar of a live customer service rep who's going to check your assumptions going into this ("are you aware there is no pool on the Halcyon?").

Disney got people to pay for it for a few months, and the vast majority who've experienced it like it.

So far.

Is it more likely that will continue or not? I don't know.

See, I think this is where you two really are kind of in agreement (or at least you and I, with me being an initial naysayer, maybe I shouldn't put words in his mouth). I'd agree with this that it is a success short term so far. I do think people are too harsh on those who said this was going to fail when those marketing videos came out. That was a total disaster, and I don't think it's a stretch to assume they were putting their best foot forward in those and showing the best parts. I do agree some took it way too far, and maybe I gave Disney marketing and PR way too much credit looking back on how I kind of laughed at how bad everything looked. I do wonder what the break even point is for this one. I'm assuming profit is through the roof on it, so I'd bet it's much less than I'd think, but I have to think that will be the ultimate judgement of success.

_caleb

Nope, but he sure loves finding way to bash Galactic Starcruiser and Disney in general. He really loves using the word "cringe" in his videos.
Yeah. LOADs of streamers are jumping on watching videos and then evaluating based on comparisons to other things (comparisons that don't really apply to the Starcruiser experience). "The rooms are tiny!" "There's no pool!" "The dance lessons are cringe!"

A lot of those--the meanspirited ones like some of what we've seen in this thread--are going to get clicks by making fun of the people who enjoy the experience. Making fun of people for liking something is what middle-schoolers do because they're super insecure.

These folks embarrass themselves, though, because they don't know what they're talking about. The dance lessons are pretend! The acting isn't meant to be watched on a screen, it's blocked/designed to happen in close quarters with people all around.

BUT, when someone actually does the 2-day experience, they (for the most part) ALL seem to "get" what the Starcruiser is trying to do.

I think THIS is why Disney didn't bother trying too hard to explain what the Starcrusier is. They're counting on satisfied customers explaining it to their circles of influence.

This might be risky. You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Wendy Pleakley

Are big things happening on the Starcruiser from 8pm until 9:30pm? That is a time they could have people willing to play in Batuu since that park is open until 9pm on tonight, such as tonight, and probably until ten soon in the summer. This will allow more play time for those side missions and rides as well.

This criticism feels like nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

People are paying for the Star Wars experience. There's zero need to stay in the Studios park more than a few hours. 4pm is probably later than most would stay. People paying for the experience aren't going to waste their time doing Slinky.

From what we've seen the evening will include dinner, lounge show, and a finale.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Yes, that evening time frame has the finalé happening.

The 4 PM deadline is make sure guests don't miss dinner and then the finalé.

_caleb

No. That would be strawmanning my meaning. I should have elaborated:

I am saying for the Starcruiser guest specifically.
Courtesy is in company speak one of of the keys and standards of their guest service, comes before show. It would be courteous to not leave your guests without an option to return from Battu to Starcruiser when the things to do in Battu are open until 9 or 10PM but the last bus leaves at 4 anad does not return to Battu from the hotel.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm familiar with the Keys. I don't follow how it's discourteous for the Starcruiser to have a schedule, though.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
This is where all the big stuff starts happening on day 2. If you burn that time in DHS you're really setting your money on fire. Now if someone got stuck out there and needed to get back somehow, I'm sure they'd run a one off shuttle to return them to the "ship".
They may get an unceremonious golf cart ride with backstage ruining their magic.

They can also go to the front of DHS and Uber back!!

celluloid

I specifically asked what time the finale occurs as my point was the 4pm time only is arbitrary when the park is open until 9 or 10 pm if there are no story elements going on at that time, it is an obvious courtesy to run the themed shuttle too and from the theme park it is directly connected to late in the evening to give people time ot enjoy that land that is themed to the same property after dark if they want to play there.

There is no reason why people cannot go and return to play in the park until its normal closing time after their Starcruiser entertainment is done and shuttles could be offered until a half hour after park closes. All that work to make it the most connected resort to a theme park on property would make sense and be courteous.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
My point was the 4pm time only is arbitrary when the park is open until 9 or 10 pm if there are no story elements going on at that time, it is an obvious courtesy to run the themed shuttle too and from the theme park it is directly connected to late in the evening to give people time ot enjoy that land that is themed to the same property after dark if they want to play there.
But there are indeed themed elements of the story going on at the time. And more important ones you'd miss if you stayed later.

You let someone stay late and they come back looking for dinner while everyone is in the atrium for the finalé.

Or, they miss the finalé and they complain that the story did get resolved for them.

When you provide intermission at a stage show, you don't expect audience members to leave the theater, catch a bite at a deli, go through the wax museum, and then return expected to be seated during the final two minutes of the show.

So, yes. There are things happening on the Halcyon which are essential to that experience that extending the "courtesy" to hang out at Batuu for as long as a guest would want is not in any way a smart thing to do since that would be Disney enabling such clear self-sabotage of the story on the Halcyon.

Mickey's Pal

This elementary school level of making fun of people is sad.

Calling people 'cringe' or 'pathetic' because they're engaged in a fun activity is the definition of 'pot, meet kettle'.

It's Disney World. A place designed to make one feel like they're in a fantasy environment.

I can guarantee there are people who make fun of anyone who spends money to go to a theme park.

If something isn't your thing, don't go. This bullying like behaviour is pathetic.
No one here was calling anyone who enjoyed the experience as 'cringe'. However it is not making fun of someone 'elemenrary style' ,as you so eloquently put it , to critique the acting of the cast members as being cringe when you pay a high price to attend this and the acting is actually terrible and very cringy. Critiquing a person's acting ability is more than fair.

celluloid

But there are indeed themed elements of the story going on at the time. And more important ones you'd miss if you stayed later.

You let someone stay late and they come back looking for dinner while everyone is in the atrium for the finalé.

Or, they miss the finalé and they complain that the story did get resolved for them.

When you provide intermission at a stage show, you don't expect audience members to leave the theater, catch a bite at a deli, go through the wax museum, and then return expected to be seated during the final two minutes of the show.

So, yes. There are things happening on the Halcyon which are essential to that experience that extending the "courtesy" to hang out at Batuu for as long as a guest would want is not in any way a smart thing to do since that would be Disney enabling such clear self-sabotage of the story on the Halcyon.

Again, what time is dinner and the finale? This is why I ask.

I don't think there are major story conclusion at 9-10pm are there? It actually all seems over by 8pm or before from what I have heard. The virtual fireworks have gone off by that point.

Guests could miss story beats within the hotel itself, so a guest maybe complaining they missed something it is not really an excuse for the non major planned events.

That is by definition, show over courtesy of the choice, and that is fine if you see why they did it. But it is what it is.

Last edited:

celluloid

This criticism feels like nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

People are paying for the Star Wars experience. There's zero need to stay in the Studios park more than a few hours. 4pm is probably later than most would stay. People paying for the experience aren't going to waste their time doing Slinky.

From what we've seen the evening will include dinner, lounge show, and a finale.

No one even said the rest of the park, but they may want to ride Star Tours if they are a huge fan and if this a trip for them and not really Disney people, but Star Wars fandom. Florida nights are better for many people to play outside anyway. The Park is open, there is no need to not allow them to continue to play Star Wars with the Star Wars themed attractions except to not offer the shuttle hourly employees.
What if someone did not get to the area earlier in the day, be it whatever reason. This is why it is a courtesy. It is an open slot of time where nothing is going on at the hotel, it is the biggest Star Wars themed thing Disney has for real estate and the hotel was connected to this as it is. A shuttled celebration for people to play and explore the area again, or for the first time is not out of the question of courtesy.

it is not surprising though. We have had people still be apologists for Disney's lack of Parking Tram Service. But it would bother no one to offer the opportunity and a low cost courtesy for the most expensive resort guests of their resort they built along the side of the area of the park. So it comes across like it is just an apologist excuse.

Wendy Pleakley

No one here was calling anyone who enjoyed the experience as 'cringe'. However it is not making fun of someone 'elemenrary style' ,as you so eloquently put it , to critique the acting of the cast members as being cringe when you pay a high price to attend this and the acting is actually terrible and very cringy. Critiquing a person's acting ability is more than fair.

Wrong. The post I quoted referred to the experience as childish playtime and sad and embarrassing. Not to mention an earlier comment calling it cringe. Very much directed at participants.

All I've seen so far is a Star Wars themed kids day camp with some adults dressed up and playing along while others wear street clothes and cringe while watching them.

Wendy Pleakley

No one even said the rest of the park, but they may want to ride Star Tours if they are a huge fan and if this a trip for them and not really Disney people, but Star Wars fandom. Florida nights are better for many people to play outside anyway. The Park is open, there is no need to not allow them to continue to play Star Wars with the Star Wars themed attractions except to not offer the shuttle hourly employees.
What if someone did not get to the area earlier in the day, be it whatever reason. This is why it is a courtesy. It is an open slot of time where nothing is going on at the hotel, it is the biggest Star Wars themed thing Disney has for real estate and the hotel was connected to this as it is. A shuttled celebration for people to play and explore the area again, or for the first time is not out of the question of courtesy.

it is not surprising though. We have had people still be apologists for Disney's lack of Parking Tram Service.

I'm pretty sure there's time to ride Star Tours before 4:00.

It's weird to fixate on this. If someone wants to spend more time in Galaxy's Edge they can do so after they check out, for far less cost.

Spending time there instead of the Starcruiser, which runs in the $100 per hour range, makes no sense.

celluloid

It's weird to fixate on this. If someone wants to spend more time in Galaxy's Edge they can do so after they check out, for far less cost.

Spending time there instead of the Starcruiser, which runs in the $100 per hour range, makes no sense.
Why are my and other people's points weird and fixated? That seems rude to state. I was just pointing out something easily offered as an alternative to just "its over, have some alcohol, snack and go to bed." with about the same vigor as anything on here.

Were you not just pointing out how some were calling others cringe for judging how people do something? Your logic is spend a 100 dollars more if you want more of this, kind of shows the flaw in the argument doesn't it? They can offer more time after the day is over, they just choose not to. That is the point.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

Plus, being a guest of the Halcyon only gives you two Lightning Lanes. Who wants to waste that cruiseline cost waiting an hour on some other ride's line?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Why are my and other people's points weird and fixated? That seems rude. I was just pointing out something easily offered as an alternative to just "its over, have some alcohol, snack and go to bed." with about the same vigor as anything on here.

Were you not just pointing out how some were calling others cringe for judging how people do something? Your logic is spend a 100 dollars more if you want more of this, kind of shows the flaw in the argument doesn't it? They can offer more time after the day is over, they just choose not to. That is the point.
It was more than that.

You were implying Disney had to cater to one's personal choices by providing a ride at all times of the day, otherwise they weren't being courteous.

If you want to spend extra time at Batuu and miss out on the Halcyon. Fine.

If you expect Disney to run a bus just for you because that's what you want and if they don't, you call that discourteous... that's a whole different ball game.

Disney Analyst

The itinerary is the itinerary. Much like any cruise ship with a port destination, if you miss the time to get back on the ship, you are hooped.

In this case if you really felt you needed to stay in DHS past 4 pm, you would then need to exit the park normally and Uber back to the main shuttles to board the ship.

This is a non-issue.

Wendy Pleakley

Why are my and other people's points weird and fixated? That seems rude to state. I was just pointing out something easily offered as an alternative to just "its over, have some alcohol, snack and go to bed." with about the same vigor as anything on here.

Because you're arguing they should give you alternative options that aren't part of the experience.

Late night shuttle to Batuu? Why not also have a shuttle to Disney Springs for anyone who'd rather shop at Uniqlo than watch the cruise finale?

Plus, they're telling a story about a fictional cruise. Real cruise ships leave port at a specific time. They don't hang around because a handful of guests want to hang out at Castaway Cay for a few extra hours. Presumably, as part of the story being told here the ship leaves Batuu, it doesn't hang around. It wouldn't make sense from a story perspective for guests to go back to Batuu.

Piebald

Try Mythos, Cleetus' Chicken shack, and Moes are dreadful.
Did you mean to put a period after Mythos? Because I agree the latter are dreadful.

I even just went for Mardi Gras and most of the food I had was gross. Citywalk is full of mediocre food as well except Red Oven pizza is not bad.

Anyways, yeah the food options in the starcruiser seem kind of weird at best. seemed to think it was mediocre.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom