News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Many posters think both the Starcruiser and Battu aren't really star wars themed. JMO but they are both generic Star Wars themed. Even the MF could be positioned in the time of the first 3 movies or the most recent 3, which posters in this thread seem to despise.

In other words it wouldn't take much to produce a voyage which takes placed in the Mando timeline. Some guests would book a repeat voyage. Some guests who hate the current voyage might be motivated to book.

Well that's a whole other conversation. IF they did change to the original trilogy timeline then it would definitely be possible for a return visit...I still think the ship should resemble more of what we think of as the Star Wars aesthetic though

Cesar R M

Probably like an airline where they leave some super special rooms unbooked and upgrade some very special guests if nobody special books those rooms, leaving some spares in the event of some mechanical issue.
Please tell me this is sarcasm.
I mean, with the airlines penchant of overselling the planes continuously and having people forced to "take one for the team" isnt exactly a good feeling.

Something that angered me a few times when timing is key and you have everything booked and they dont give a sh...t if you lose a 200+ USD reservation at your destination.

lewisc

Well that's a whole other conversation. IF they did change to the original trilogy timeline then it would definitely be possible for a return visit...I still think the ship should resemble more of what we think of as the Star Wars aesthetic though
Isn't Disney telling us Hans and Lei had their honeymoon on this very ship. I don't think it's a reach to think that at some time in the future guests might be taking a different voyage.
I mean, with the airlines penchant of overselling the planes continuously and having people forced to "take one for the team" isnt exactly a good feeling.
Southwest stopped overbooking, or is the term overselling, a few years ago. Jet Blue never overbooked as a policy
I don't think ULC airlines like ,Spirit and Frontier overbook.

_caleb

People really think Disney is looking for repeat customers with this offering? I don't think that's the case
They likely aren't DEPENDING on repeat customers, but its' clear from some of the post-trip reports that Disney has intentionally built in more than a guest might hope to do over the course of the 2 days. Seems like this would add to the replay value.

celluloid

As much as the skipping the fast lane to get the cruisers on board to the ride faster, it is also in operation's best interest as the shuttles only go until 4 to return to Starcruiser.

Which on that note, is wild that the shuttle only goes until 4pm to Hollywood Studios, that being said, I suppose there are show elements they figure people want to be a part of of the hotel. But forget the operational cost of extra hours in Battuu, just running the shuttle until park closing would be a courtesy.

_caleb

There you go! Disney is not interested if a traveler enjoyed the experience or not or it the traveler may want to come back or not. Disney has the money. For instance, the cancelation policy is the way it is for Disney not to lose money and lock people into a contract. After the experience it's have a Magical Day.
No. Disney is COUNTING on positive reviews by satisfied customers. They DO care if guests enjoyed the experience.
Haven't you seen all the reviews (Len Testa's mentioned this, and I've seen a few others) about how the CMs on the Starcruiser are "solving for yes" and work hard to accommodate requests? And for the price people are paying, this makes sense.

_caleb

As much as the skipping the fast lane to get the cruisers on board to the ride faster, it is also in operation's best interest as the shuttles only go until 4 to return to Starcruiser.

Which on that note, is wild that the shuttle only goes until 4pm to Hollywood Studios, that being said, I suppose there are show elements they figure people want to be a part of of the hotel. But forget the operational cost of extra hours in Battuu, just running the shuttle until park closing would be a courtesy.
When Starcruiser guests are shuttled to Batuu, it's all part of the story. They're not taking a break from the Starcrusier to go on rides at DHS, they're going on side missions just like when they go to the Bridge, the Lightsaber training, the engineering room, etc.

Roy G. Dis

Something that angered me a few times when timing is key and you have everything booked and they dont give a sh...t if you lose a 200+ USD reservation at your destination.

Nah I meant more like if there was a first class seat airlines would find somebody to give it to that was "important" to them. But yeah, they overbook too. It would make sense for Disney to leave some spare rooms lying around as there is no other starcruiser available until later in the week :)

_caleb

..that’s the version of The story I’d pay for
Again, if they did this, a great number of self-identified "real Star Wars fans" would be complaining that Disney doesn't "get" Star Wars; that it's a huge galaxy, not just a handful of stories, characters, and places.

Star Wars has been growing for 45 years and is still telling new stories, Disney isn't going to try to keep milking the old parts!

brb1006

And we’re all watching to see how those reviews change as the post-trip glow fades and how story “spoiled” reviewers respond. But overall, people who are Parks fans (like us?) seem to be giving the Starcruiser high marks.

Why is everyone so negative all the time?

On thing I find interesting- I’ve yet to see anyone who does the Starcruiser experience later critique it based on typical resort hotel metrics.
What about Ryan Kinel?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So I'm curious, you have declared this a success.
I've not said it was a complete success. I think it fails in pricing. ;)

But 'success' is a relative term.

Compared to all the doomsayers who ginned up #cringegate and reveled that fully booked dates were opening up (which was mostly a function of the 90 deadline to pay in full); and they saw that as a sign it is crashing (<insert Nelson's HA HA! here>)... it is indeed a success as a business venture. First four months are just about fully booked. The following three have seen more days becoming fully booked. And Disney is opening up availability to the end of the year. That's a business success for Disney. Not so much for some of their customers who would love to do it but can't afford it.

Sort of like WDW as a whole for many people.

Is this business success sustainable? I don't know. Are there enough people with that kind of disposable income to keep it going? I don't know. How about repeat customers? Well, I could see some people doing it twice, which is enough to hit all the side quests, but after that, they'll know just about how every encounter will go. So, I doubt there will be appreciable repeat business.

If they run out of 'whales,' can they keep it going and be profitable at a lower price point? I don't know. I'm sure they'd have no end of customers at a lower price point, tho.

Is it a success as a Massive Multi-player LARP? From everything we've seen so far, yes. This despite that some people will define LARP in such a narrow way as to exclude what the Halcyon is doing as a "real LARP" and then declare it has failed as a LARP due to that narrow definition.

I've said in this thread way before this started that I've participated and helped run such events in my youth (go, GENCON!). And this looks like to me a very successful LARP. For those who say it isn't a LARP, I'd ask for their credentials to make that judgment other than cherry picking definitions off the Internet.

It is indeed a success... so far. Could that change in the scenario that the initial attendees were somehow not representative of the kind of people who later signed up for this and those later guests find the immersion tedious and the whole thing woefully overpriced, get mad at Disney, and spend the rest of their days on a WDW fan site criticizing anything they can about Disney? I guess. Is that likely? Probably not. Especially since to sign up you have to get over the bar of a live customer service rep who's going to check your assumptions going into this ("are you aware there is no pool on the Halcyon?").

Disney got people to pay for it for a few months, and the vast majority who've experienced it like it.

So far.

Is it more likely that will continue or not? I don't know.

Last edited:

celluloid

When Starcruiser guests are shuttled to Batuu, it's all part of the story. They're not taking a break from the Starcrusier to go on rides at DHS, they're going on side missions just like when they go to the Bridge, the Lightsaber training, the engineering room, etc.

This sounds like an apologetic way to say Show over Courtesy.

_caleb

This sounds like an apologetic way to say Show over Courtesy.
What? In what way? I must be missing your meaning.

Do you think I was saying "Starcruiser guests get priority access in service of their show at the expense of courtesy to regular paying Park guests"?

As soon as we have tiered guest status (and we have for a long time), guests do not treated the same.

pdude81

This is where all the big stuff starts happening on day 2. If you burn that time in DHS you're really setting your money on fire. Now if someone got stuck out there and needed to get back somehow, I'm sure they'd run a one off shuttle to return them to the "ship".

celluloid

What? In what way? I must be missing your meaning.

Do you think I was saying "Starcruiser guests get priority access in service of their show at the expense of courtesy to regular paying Park guests"?

As soon as we have tiered guest status (and we have for a long time), guests do not treated the same.

No. That would be strawmanning my meaning. I should have elaborated:

I am saying for the Starcruiser guest specifically.
Courtesy is in company speak one of of the keys and standards of their guest service, comes before show. It would be courteous to not leave your guests without an option to return from Battu to Starcruiser when the things to do in Battu are open until 9 or 10PM but the last bus leaves at 4 anad does not return to Battu from the hotel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom