News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

James Alucobond

Interesting. How do they fix this? Obviously, everyone would want to get their money's worth and arrive to be first on. Mandated boarding and departure times?
It's been pointed out in the comments that the post time for this video is a few minutes before check-in even begins. Unsure how long before check-in they actually recorded it.

Because this is not a continuously operating hotel, it's not surprising that the staff isn't fully ready before the absolute earliest time you're allowed to arrive according to the booking information.

Cesar R M

Isn't Disney telling us Hans and Lei had their honeymoon on this very ship. I don't think it's a reach to think that at some time in the future guests might be taking a different voyage.

Southwest stopped overbooking, or is the term overselling, a few years ago. Jet Blue never overbooked as a policy
I don't think ULC airlines like ,Spirit and Frontier overbook.
Perhaps, I experienced overbooked with AA, Continental, United.

yensidtlaw1969

That video of the two executives being asked about the value - I don't think I've ever seen someone do so much dancing without, apparently, moving their feet.*

If this Disney gig doesn't work out for them, I think both of these women have a potentially bright future in politics.

*to be fair, we can't actually see their feet so there may be some river dance on carpet happening, here.

_
So it turns out footage has been released that was shot with a wider lens:

(Deep, deep apologies to those featured)

Last edited:

durangojim

Just finished listening to the Disney Dish with Len Testa. I’ll be honest, it sounds exhausting! He had a great time but it seems that you have to be extremely committed to role playing to get the most out of this. Also seems like you miss out on some extremely cool major experiences if you don’t go above an beyond. I think that may be an issue in the future. I also think the longer this goes the more “guides” there will be on how to game the system or make sure you get every experience you want. This may cause some issues because of most people want to see x y and z and few want to see a b and c it may overwhelm some of those major story experiences. I found the idea of super fans hogging the interactions as off putting. The podcast was a good listen and made me feel much more happy that I don’t have any plans to go on this for at least a year or until they get the kinks out.

Last edited:

MrPromey

So it turns out footage has been released that was shot with a wider lens:

(Deep, deep apologies to those featured)

Now, to be clear to everyone else here, my statement wasn't about the actual value of what's being offered although yes, I think it's overpriced.

My point was that when asked directly, they weren't like "It's absolutely worth it and when guests get here and experience it, they'll see for themselves!"

Instead it was like "you can't put a price on dreams" or some similar BS. 🙄

To me, that reads like they don't have faith in their own product.

That could mean a lot of things beyond that it must just suck, including that they themselves are not the target demographic and therefore, don't actually believe in what they've made regardless of how well it's been done.

As someone who does various forms of creative work commercially, I'm sometimes required to progress a narrative I do not myself have confidence in so I can certainly understand how being tasked with a project that doesn't excite someone can't stop them from doing their job (cause doing the work, regardless, is a big part of what being a professional is all about) but if that's the case with what happened here, these are not the people they need to be putting in front of cameras to talk about their work.

I don't feel like Disney's been doing themselves any favors... but I guess that applies to more than just this project. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

pdude81

Just finished listening to the Disney Dish with Len Testa. I’ll be honest, it sounds exhausting! He had a great time but it seems that you have to be extremely committed to role playing to get the most out of this. Also seems like you miss out on some extremely cool major experiences if you don’t go above an beyond. I think that may be an issue in the future. I also honk the longer this goes the more “guides” there will be on how to game the system or make sure you get every experience you want. This may cause some issues because of most people want to see x y and z and few want to see a b and c it may overwhelm some of those major story experiences. I also found the idea of super fans hogging the interactions as off putting. The podcast was a good listen and made me feel much more happy that I don’t have any plans on going on this for at least a year or until they get the kinks out.
It's a reasonable thought, but my take in signing up for this early was that a year from now they might cut off some of the cool experiences because idiots ruined them or because too many people chose a similar path. Hard to know how any of this goes.

office-space-fixed.gif

MrPromey

It's a reasonable thought, but my take in signing up for this early was that a year from now they might cut off some of the cool experiences because idiots ruined them or because too many people chose a similar path. Hard to know how any of this goes.

office-space-fixed.gif

Yeah, if you've got the money and this is something you want to do, it's really hard to make a clear decision on the best way to go but I think you're right.

Current management does not have a track record of adding quality and value to existing offerings in Florida over time so it's reasonable to think that if you wait either the price will go up, they'll start stripping out features, or it just may up and close if they don't like the margins and you'll never get to experience it.

mergatroid

This couple really hate Disney. All sort of digs at Disney "We rang Disney about the Star Wars hotel and was on hold for 36 minutes, it could have been because they were answering all the calls cancelling"? Now they're complaining about a rumour that there's a $20,000 'Starcruiser suite' (as if Disney started it to make $4,800 seem cheap) when if fact there's a $10,000 suite that holds 8 people.

The woman goes on a hilarious backtracking rant because somebody using a Starcruiser avatar (she's convinced it's the actor who works there) asked her if she's been as she's spent months saying how terrible it will be and how she can't wait to see the negative reviews from paying guests to drop. As a caveat she never said the first paying guests shouldn't be believed so she has zero credibility changing the goalposts. She gets mega upset at the question and cries "Disney would't invite me because they only picked the people who would kiss their a##". She's practically crying at this point.

Her logic is how dare he ask if she's been to judge it, as her opinion is just as good as those who've paid and experienced it. This is really strange logic as last week she was saying "I'll only judge paying guests", now she doesn't like paying guest reviews and suddenly doesn't want to use that as the barometer. The backpedaling is so funny and they're resorting to criticising the look of the food now saying it looks too similar to GE and Pandora and crying that the merchandise (which she says she doesn't want) isn't available to her unless she pays $6,000 on the experience. Such a bitter couple :D

erasure fan1

She gets mega upset at the question and cries "Disney would't invite me because they only picked the people who would kiss their a##". She's practically crying at this point.
They have been extremely critical of Disney and I'm sure they weren't invited because of it. So really it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, including them. Disney wasn't going to ever risk inviting people who are really critical. They don't need to try and win those type of people over because they know they can't. With this price, and its lack of star wars feel, big OT star wars fans like clownfish aren't going to buy in anyway.

kingdead

Just finished listening to the Disney Dish with Len Testa. I’ll be honest, it sounds exhausting! He had a great time but it seems that you have to be extremely committed to role playing to get the most out of this. Also seems like you miss out on some extremely cool major experiences if you don’t go above an beyond. I think that may be an issue in the future. I also honk the longer this goes the more “guides” there will be on how to game the system or make sure you get every experience you want. This may cause some issues because of most people want to see x y and z and few want to see a b and c it may overwhelm some of those major story experiences. I also found the idea of super fans hogging the interactions as off putting. The podcast was a good listen and made me feel much more happy that I don’t have any plans on going on this for at least a year or until they get the kinks out.
Did he say whether people were using their cell phones? Because if so people are going to try to TikTok with the characters...

_caleb

Now, to be clear to everyone else, here, my statement wasn't about the actual value of what's being offered although yes, I think it's overpriced.

My point was that when asked directly, they weren't like "It's absolutely worth it and when guests get here and experience it, they'll see for themselves!"

Instead it was like "you can't put a price on dreams" or some similar BS. 🙄

To me, that reads like they don't have faith in their own product.

That could mean a lot of things beyond that it must just suck, including that they themselves are not the target demographic and therefore, don't actually believe in what they've made regardless of how well it's been done.

As someone who does various forms of creative work commercially, I'm sometimes required to progress a narrative I do not myself have confidence in so I can certainly understand how being tasked with a project that doesn't excite you can't stop you from doing your job but if that's the case with what happened here, these are not the people they need to be putting in front of cameras to talk about this.

I don't feel like Disney's been doing themselves any favors... but I guess that applies to more than just this project. 🤷‍♂️
At least they’re being honest!

Disney Execs were convinced by younger WDI to take a (limited) risk with the Starcruiser. The Execs never understood the concept and still don’t. But the positive buzz and sky-high pricing is proof of concept, so they’re happy.

Just like with the Parks, they have no idea why people will pay for what they’re selling, but they’re happy to keep selling it.

_caleb

Are you familiar with the video game industry? I guarantee this is the model Disney is following with the Starcruiser.

Yes, there will be spoilers. This is nothing new to Disney. And there will be an entire industry around how to “beat,” “win,” or “hack” the game. The value isn’t in knowing the story, it’s in the experience.

And, like Fortnite, minor changes to the story and setting can keep players coming back for more—even if the game stays basically the same.

mmascari

And, like Fortnite, minor changes to the story and setting can keep players coming back for more—even if the game stays basically the same.
About a year from now, they should announce that the story is changing in May 2023. Then, every year in May they should introduce story changes. Small stuff every year. Then, perhaps a month or two shutdown and larger changes every 5 years.

How often does Disney change other shows?

Thinking of this as a big game that's heavy on cast member performances feels more and more like the frame of reference. The "good" news is that changing cast member story lines should be easier. Changing story elements that depend on physical infrastructure is harder. But, if you can use the same infrastructure differently that's much easier.

mergatroid

They have been extremely critical of Disney and I'm sure they weren't invited because of it. So really it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, including them. Disney wasn't going to ever risk inviting people who are really critical. They don't need to try and win those type of people over because they know they can't. With this price, and its lack of star wars feel, big OT star wars fans like clownfish aren't going to buy in anyway.
She's such an entitled baby about it as well isn't she? Right at the end she says "So the reviews are coming in now from paying guests (she's not one and hasn't been) and if you're negative apparently somebody who works there messages you being rude".

She spends months saying it will be terrible and now is showing her pantyhose is in a right twist. As for staff messaging you if you give a bad review, she didn't review it as she's not been, but put memes out badmouthing it and is now crying that somebody dare have the audacity to reply to her hate by just asking "Have you been"? :D :D :D

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

So interesting thought here. I'm not saying Disney will need to cancel "cruises", but do we know what Sold Out means for a Starcruiser? It can not truly mean every room at 100%. I mean what if something breaks (plumping, electrical, or something else) that would require you vacate your room mid "flight" as you said they cant just put you up somewhere else if every room on the "flight" is full. Or what happens if the party before you has a little too much fun and trashes the room are they going to cancel you the day of? Its not like when you show up at All Star and they overbook and say sorry about that how about we send you to POR for the inconvenience. It will be interesting to see how the handle these types of situations as the arise.
It will be interesting to see how Disney handles stuff like this. One thing for sure, something will happen, the incident captured on a device And uploaded to the internet for all to see.

Will we see drunk guests fighting on the Starcruiser? Fact is everyone on the ship are human, so time will tell.

mergatroid

No. It was included with the price of every ticket.

You are saying waiting nearly an hour in line= Rapid access?
We have vast different definitions of what = a short wait.
From what I can gather the ride went down for 45 minutes and the LL had been waiting for that time. When it was ready to board again they rushed the cruiser guests through first which probably meant an extra 5 mins for the LL guests. Had the cruiser guests not been there then the fact the LL guests waited 45 minutes for the ride to come back online would have been the same (+5 mins extra).

For what it's worth I hate Genie+ and ILL and will avoid it next week when I visit. The people who were in the ILL queue waiting had paid more money to go ahead of others so they probably understand that those who've paid about 300 times as much as they have to beat the queue (and do other stuff) might get even more preferential treatment than themselves. It's similar to private VIP tours who never wait in queues. Again from investigating the story the ride was down for 45 mins not working, they didn't switch it back on for the 'Starcruiser guests' who in effect had to wait the 45 mins to ride too or would have, had they turned up 45 mins earlier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom