News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

_caleb

Yes that is true, it's a very diverse place. It's not about thinking everyone "fans" the way I fan. I'm just going by what I've seen and read online. The more casual fans seem a lot more receptive to this concept. And by casual I mean the ones that have seen the movies, know some of the main characters... But really couldn't tell you that Han is from Corellia. The Comicon, midnight figure release, read every book and comic crowd doesn't seem nearly as invested. Sure it's all generalizations, that is why I said it will be interesting to watch and see how it plays out.
It will be interesting!

I think Disney has lots of market research that these immersive role-playing-type experiences have huge potential, and I'm pretty sure the Starcrusier is just their entry into this new market that they will be instrumental in shaping.

WDWJoeG

Hey, did you see the videos of the successful LARPing?
Actually, I didn't. Where were the videos of people establishing backstories, cast members treating them differently based on the characters they created, and participating in a game where the outcome wasn't decided in advance?

I thought that was the definition of LARP'ing.

All I've seen so far is a Star Wars themed kids day camp with some adults dressed up and playing along while others wear street clothes and cringe while watching them.

I see an embarrassing "light saber" training experience that belongs at my local laser tag, dance lessons, horrible acting, and a barebones cafeteria with mood lighting.

If that is amazing and world-changing themed entertainment to you, then God bless.

Last edited:

durangojim

This was posted on @lentesta IG. I wonder what it means by ask the CMs to help you out? Seems like he’s having an amazing time regardless and really getting into the roll playing aspect of things.
C49AB193-DA35-42F9-8509-432A8FA57BF9.jpeg

This was from the Cnet review. I really hope
We don’t have people suffering from post Galactic Starcruiser syndrome (PGSS) like some people did after they saw Avatar.
D505624E-3B72-4F06-BC2E-DAA255325A1F.jpeg

Vegas Disney Fan

It will be interesting!

I think Disney has lots of market research that these immersive role-playing-type experiences have huge potential, and I'm pretty sure the Starcrusier is just their entry into this new market that they will be instrumental in shaping.

An Adventurers Club resort would fit nicely in the land to the north of Grand Floridian and they’ve got existing backstage roads that could be used to drop guests off between the jungle cruise and Pirates, they’d just need a walkway to hide the pirates show building on the west side.

That could be a fun adventure, get dropped off at a hotel, discover a mysterious club, and have to go in search of treasure or something.

MrPromey

To be fair, Disney produces cringey celebrity video all the time. The celebrity-on-tour who then winds up living the story in a fantasy sequence is a long-time cringey staple of Disney promotion.

Only this time, there were people with knives out hoping to 'cancel' the Halcyon before it gets going.

Cute try.

I’m going to imagine you’re just so tired from all the arguing thst you missed my point rather than were intentionally setting up a strawman argument.

I wouldn’t call what Disney released just cringy. I’d say it was crappy - apparently showing off the least interesting looking elements of the “ship”.

I mean, plenty of the media videos have been cringy while not making the place look cheap.

So yeah, I find it funny that a podcaster can produce something that shows off the place better than the largest media company in the world who actually has a vested interest in the success of the venture.

I’ve seen plenty of footage of cool looking things they could have shown - interesting looking rooms, plants in some of the guest rooms, etc.

Unless they were so far behind on getting things finished they couldn’t show any of that in their own materials, I don’t get why they “hid” it all since every bit of it came out the moment the embargo lifted, anyway.

Last edited:

lewisc

An Adventurers Club resort would fit nicely in the land to the north of Grand Floridian and they’ve got existing backstage roads that could be used to drop guests off between the jungle cruise and Pirates, they’d just need a walkway to hide the pirates show building on the west side.

That could be a fun adventure, get dropped off at a hotel, discover a mysterious club, and have to go in search of treasure or something.
JMO I don't think there is anyway enough guests would be willing to pay $$$$ Disney's prices for that kind of experience.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Did you read the list of things he's asking for? Where can you get this $700/person per night?
  • a gorgeous ship
  • spacious rooms
  • 5 star cuisine
  • highly detailed costumed characters interacting with my group
  • a personalized story arch
  • high tech effects "out the wazoo"
  • free alcoholic beverages
  • something neat to bring home as a souvenir
And what he sees in the Starcruiser isn't it.
You can get Viking for like 2/3 times that 😎

kingdead

This was posted on @lentesta IG. I wonder what it means by ask the CMs to help you out? Seems like he’s having an amazing time regardless and really getting into the roll playing aspect of things.
View attachment 625039
This was from the Cnet review. I really hope
We don’t have people suffering from post Galactic Starcruiser syndrome (PGSS) like some people did after they saw Avatar.
View attachment 625040
Ok, so the split between people who thought this was a LARP (my character is the center of the story, the characters are there to further my dreams of being in Star Wars) and the people who showed up to play along (I don't care about who I am in the story, I'm here for whatever experience) might be showing up.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Cute try.

I’m going to imagine you’re just so tired from all the arguing thst you missed my point rather than were intentionally setting up a strawman argument.

I wouldn’t call what Disney released just cringy. I’d say it was crappy - apparently showing off the least interesting looking elements of the “ship”.

I mean, plenty of the media videos have been cringy while not making the place look cheap.

So yeah, I find it funny thst s podcaster can produce something that shows off the place better than the largest media company in the world who actually has a vested interest in the success of the venture.

I’ve seen plenty of footage of cool looking things they could have shown - interesting looking rooms, plants in some of the guest rooms, etc.

Unless they were so far behind on getting things finished they couldn’t show any of that in their own materials, I don’t get why they “hid” it all since every bit of it came out the moment the embargo lifted, anyway.
The PR was…at a minimum…amateurish. Why that is we’ll never know…the company hasn’t made a mistake since California adventure. Just ask anyone who is doing a trip report and they will tell you 🤭

_caleb

people establishing backstories, cast members treating them differently based on the characters they created, and participating in a game where the outcome wasn't decided in advance?

I thought that was the definition of LARP'ing.
Why would you think this is the definition?

“A Live Action Role-Playing game (LARP) is a form of role-playing gamewhere the participants physically portray their characters. The players pursue goals within a fictional setting represented by real-world environments while interacting with each other in character.”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Viking cruises offers “highly detailed costumed characters interacting with your group, a personalized story arch, and high tech effects "out the wazoo?”

What’s the Viking version of pixie dust?
No…the Viking stuff is interesting places and pretty upscale amenities

New York (or Buffalo) comic con offers adults in homemade storm trooper armor.

It’s a bit of an apple/oranges comparison

Though I agree…from the looks of it…they could do more/higher quality amenities.

Should be trained chefs in the Star kitchen…not Aramark.

_caleb

Maybe S.E.A

IF the rumored new series is a hit.

I’m rooting for it, just because I want Disney to build attractions based on its own new IP rather than on what they keep buying it from others.

_caleb

No…the Viking stuff is interesting places and pretty upscale amenities

New York (or Buffalo) comic con offers adults in homemade storm trooper armor.

It’s a bit of an apple/oranges comparison

Though I agree…from the looks of it…they could do more/higher quality amenities.

Should be trained chefs in the Star kitchen…not Aramark.
Just the word “Aramark” reminds me of the “Kitchen Nightmares” episode where Gordon Ramsey asks if the restaurant’s food was fresh and the owner said, “Yes, everything is fresh frozen.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom