News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Was there anybody who said they shouldn't have been doing the interactive things they're doing in GS at GE itself?

I don't arrogantly dismiss that. I accept that, if I want to experience those things, I've got to do GS. It's not my preference for it to be that way.
It wasn’t you…

Someone pointed out - fairly - the interactive stuff was promised in at least some Form in the land and they more or less dropped it…and now that is behind a paywall. It’s not up for debate…character stuff and droids other than the two stormtroopers with the funny faces walking around never materialized in the park.

…someone else then dropped a dismissive hammer on it. But it wasn’t you. It was one of the resident “lecture and then never back it up/respond” types

Cesar R M

No they absolutely won’t…but it will be tempting.

They don’t build new hotels…If you notice…and there is a ceiling on how many times you can go to that well.

Plus the two things that nobody seems to comprehend on boards:
1. Longterm commitment to costs
2. Diminishing returns.

You know where they hate that?

View attachment 624905
Yup, but cost cuts and price increases can go so long until they ruin the company to the ground.
But by that time I expect all big rollers to have sold their shares to random smuchks who were fooled into thinking it would be a good investment.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People were so eager to judge it without knowing much other than an advertisement that showed very little. That's on Disney but those declaring it terrible without knowing anything about it really jumped the gun. Where are all those who 'couldn't wait for the reviews to drop, popcorn at the ready'
I wonder the same question…because it’s now time to process the reviews (but just the beginning) and see how they did or did not deliver?

If it’s just a hate fest…I don’t even see how that’s even “therapeutic”?? …just like dust huffing.

Change is a part of the condition.

Cesar R M

Maybe read through the thread dedicated to the real experiences?

Good to know the real life action looks better than on video.
Because the battles definitively looks kinda weak. The effects are impressive thou (that saber scene).

Pretty sure the angle of recording also worsens the experience for us. Because you can easily see the very large gaps between the characters when they do their "attacks" (punches and kicks).
But then, I guess I have seen way too much action movies from the Asian side of the world.

I don't know about others but we're fully paid and don't ship out until May. I suspect with the current state of early booking many people (unless they are carrying that debt onward for however long) will have their bill come due before they even leave.

We thank you for your sacrifice ;)

corran horn

It wasn’t you…

Someone pointed out - fairly - the interactive stuff was promised in at least some Form in the land and they more or less dropped it…and now that is behind a paywall. It’s not up for debate…character stuff and droids other than the two stormtroopers with the funny faces walking around never materialized in the park.

…someone else then dropped a dismissive hammer on it. But it wasn’t you. It was one of the resident “lecture and then never back it up/respond” types
I wish interactivity was more integrated into the GE experience. The bones are there. I love sitting with the app and making doors, droids, and ships bleep at people when they don't expect it.

I wish people at Dok's knew anything about what you'd done with your progress in the app missions. I wish the bounty hunter things that were bandied about were happening. I feel like the underlying tech is there, somewhere - the fact is most people don't even know they can effect the environment with their devices.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To be fair, a lot of the bad videos came directly from Disney themselves as promotion and normally, things don't end up quite living up to what they themselves show.
To be fair, Disney produces cringey celebrity video all the time. The celebrity-on-tour who then winds up living the story in a fantasy sequence is a long-time cringey staple of Disney promotion.

Only this time, there were people with knives out hoping to 'cancel' the Halcyon before it gets going.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As some have pointed out today…and others have arrogantly dismissed in defense of Bob and Bob…they took alot of that stuff and put it behind a non-negotiable pay wall.

Really? Who claimed "I'm so glad that GE doesn't have all the entertainment and interactive stuff and the table service restaurant! And I'm really glad that if I want to see it, I have to pay a whole lot more!! Thanks Bobs!!!"?

sedati

Specially when the ads and videos shown by Disney were absolutely horrible.
They did not help anything at all.
I have to say, most people I've talked to who are Disney regulars either haven't heard anything about this project or have just been made aware. Hasn't there really only been one proper ad? The few other snippets we've been analyzing frame-by-frame were less a marketing campaign than obscure sneak-peaks. The word has really only just gotten out from what I've seen.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don’t underestimate the number of single, childless Disney-obsessive weirdos around Central Florida. They’ll probably become the cringiest thing about this place.
They are irrelevant…besides, until they are granted an appeal on their rehire status, they could never afford this 😎
I just hope it doesn't attract the moronic groups of griefers and trolls.
Those who want to video tape themselves trying to disrupt everything as much they can for their 5 minutes of fame in a random video site.

I've been curious about this as well and wonder if there's some thing in the agreement when you reserve.
Yeah…but they won’t let the Woo In there 😉

GimpYancIent

I've been curious about this as well and wonder if there's some thing in the agreement when you reserve.
Agreement? The self-serving morons that disrupt things for random video moments don't care about agreements. I do not see (unless the morons have already established themselves as media morons) how Disney can weed them out prior to boarding. Then after the morons have their media moment Disney can boot them out and ban them etc. but they have done their damage. The question should be is how will Disney handle damage control?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have to say, most people I've talked to who are Disney regulars either haven't heard anything about this project or have just been made aware. Hasn't there really only been one proper ad? The few other snippets we've been analyzing frame-by-frame were less a marketing campaign than obscure sneak-peaks. The word has really only just gotten out from what I've seen.
It hasn’t been really advertised much.

That could be a lot of reasons we discuss for weeks…my short list of theories is:
1. Not wanting to overcommit/overbook
2. Lessons learned from the land roll outs and lackluster demand that was run with in the press
3. Didn’t make sense to advertise anything during the plague.

_caleb

Cost of course…

They do these in many actual luxury markets…by the way…but it’s not adult playtime OR an amusement park complex.

We seemed to have rushed past the primary goal of this: not the 2 nights in the space game…the 5-7 nights - DVC contract that their analysts determined would be strapped to these. It’s not for locals or comic con weekenders. At least that’s not at all who they care about.
Did you read the list of things he's asking for? Where can you get this $700/person per night?
  • a gorgeous ship
  • spacious rooms
  • 5 star cuisine
  • highly detailed costumed characters interacting with my group
  • a personalized story arch
  • high tech effects "out the wazoo"
  • free alcoholic beverages
  • something neat to bring home as a souvenir
And what he sees in the Starcruiser isn't it.

Vegas Disney Fan

To be fair, Disney produces cringey celebrity video all the time. The celebrity-on-tour who then winds up living the story in a fantasy sequence is a long-time cringey staple of Disney promotion.

Only this time, there were people with knives out hoping to 'cancel' the Halcyon before it gets going.

I’ve been watching the Timekeeping series and have similar thoughts now whenever I read comments about how modern Disney doesn’t match the quality of the past, I think we all have selective memories because Disneys put out some really bad stuff over the years, from horrible shows and parades to active construction zones in plain sight for all to see, to pealing paint and things in need of repair.

I disagree with a lot of the things modern Disney does but they really aren’t that much different from what they’ve been doing for the last 60 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

_caleb

And that is why this will be so interesting to watch. The more hardcore fan, does not seem interested in this at all. Not all of them but it seems to be the vast majority. As for the casual fan or just your regular fan of Disney is who this seems marketed to. It doesn't seem you need to know anything about star wars outside of the resistance and first order. And since you can get as involved as you want, you really have to go deep into roll playing. The question is, will enough casuals find it fun enough to offset the cost of doing it multiple times. I'd be surprised if it does. But I also won't underestimate the power of the pixie dust.
Star Wars fandom is a huge and diverse place. Why do so many fans think everyone fans the way they fan?

erasure fan1

Star Wars fandom is a huge and diverse place. Why do so many fans think everyone fans the way they fan?
Yes that is true, it's a very diverse place. It's not about thinking everyone "fans" the way I fan. I'm just going by what I've seen and read online. The more casual fans seem a lot more receptive to this concept. And by casual I mean the ones that have seen the movies, know some of the main characters... But really couldn't tell you that Han is from Corellia. The Comicon, midnight figure release, read every book and comic crowd doesn't seem nearly as invested. Sure it's all generalizations, that is why I said it will be interesting to watch and see how it plays out.

GimpYancIent

Apparently there are protocols place to deal with this in the event that it should happen.
1646267581619.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom