News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

flynnibus

Premium Member
Where has this officially been called "luxury?"

No arguing this... Disney has crafted the story that the Halicon is supposed to be a high end star ship. The backstory about it's being recently restored to it's glory... yadda yadda yadda.

No it's not promised to be a luxury spa - but it is presented as something that is supposed to be high class and awe inspiring - not budget or minimal.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This definitely isn't a pre show, it's just a safety briefing. Not meant to be part of the whole immersive experience.

And certainly something they SOULD NOT HAVE DONE IN THE SHOW ITSELF. This is stuff they could have easily briefed people about BEFORE being onsite and also without doing it completely in the show scenes themselves. For instance, briefing people on what the different sounds or colors could be.. and providing details about emergency exits combined with handouts at checkin.

Doing it in the show, with the actual show scenes.... takes something from mundane to story crusher.

mm52200

The problem with that is . . . no it isn't.

The reality is that this building is the Starcruiser, but that's not what the guests are meant to believe. So you need to provide them with a plausible alternative - like that there is no building there in which the Starcruiser experience could be taking place. Or that if there is, at least you're not seeing any evidence of it.

I bet you zero out of 1,000 people will see the Starcruiser warehouse and go "that must be where they house the supplies for the little Shuttle that takes us to space". No, it's obvious what's really going on there, and it ruins that part of the illusion. Of course most guests know they aren't actually going to space, but the entire point of this sort of enterprise is to remove all evidence to the contrary. A real cruise is one thing, because the lame buildings at a cruise port are 1) necessary, and 2) not the actual site of the event. Your cruise ship is plenty more appealing, and I bet most people focus their attention on that. But the Starcruiser doesn't have an actual, compelling, on-earth focal point for guests to be distracted by on arrival, so you've instead got to whittle down what they see to only things that support the idea they're about to start an intergalactic voyage. Big white boxy building doesn't do that. It's clear what the truth is.

As is true of any attraction, you have to make it easier to believe that you're on a great adventure than it is to believe you're ping-ponging around a warehouse. The easiest, and most basic way to do this is . . . to hide the warehouse. Otherwise the guests' immediate impulse will be "that must be were this thing actually takes place". Way to spoil the fun before you even get inside.

The same is basically true of taking guests past the backside of Galaxy's Edge on their approach to the Star Cruiser. You're paying 6 Grand for the most mega-Star Wars adventure on earth, and you're making us see how fake it all is before we even start?? Couldn't you take us the long-way 'round through some trees or something? Goodness.

Have SOME sense of Showmanship about this, Disney.
The more confounding thing is that they could have made an exit from Osceola that would have lead directly to the front of the starcruiser, not ruining the illusion. The clearing of land and grass is literally there because that’s where the imagineering trailers were set up.
Instead they go out of their way almost to have you drive 360 degrees around the full show building AND the entire backside of Batuu, entering through the studios cast parking lot.
None of it makes any sense.

999th Happy Haunt

And certainly something they SOULD NOT HAVE DONE IN THE SHOW ITSELF. This is stuff they could have easily briefed people about BEFORE being onsite and also without doing it completely in the show scenes themselves. For instance, briefing people on what the different sounds or colors could be.. and providing details about emergency exits combined with handouts at checkin.
It's probably a legal requirement. If you got an email the day before you arrived about safety requirements, would you honestly do it? Safety still comes before show.

pdude81

I read your original comment such that you were saying that space ships are limited in size. I realize that water based ships have many limitations, space based ships, not so much. I think that the increase in size is due to the design software that the naval architects now have that can model the stability of the ship better. Although I wouldn't want to be on one of those behemoths if it takes a 70' rouge wave on the side.

As a person very interested in Science fiction, there is no reason why the cabins would have to be so small.

It comes down to either:

1. The designers didn't understand the practical reasons why water ships are designed like they are vs space ships on size limitations. They should have done their research. Where is Rohde when you need him?

2. Disney wanted to build something as cheap as possible. All that space theming costs money. Much more that 4 walls of drywall and paint in a regular hotel room.

or more likely both.
Wouldn't space based ships have to get out of the atmosphere? If we're going to pretend to compare them to ships that are limited by the size of our oceans, then let's think about the fuel it might take to get out of the atmosphere, or the design choices you'd have to make to reduce friction on reentry.

Now if you were to say that pretend spaceships are not limited by size...

yensidtlaw1969

Doing it in the show, with the actual show scenes.... takes something from mundane to story crusher.
I mean, this seems like something that DOES happen when you check in, before you board the shuttle to the Starcruiser.

I get that it would be ideal for thematic integrity that this be as separate from the Starcruiser experience as possible, but for safety purposes I'm sure they HAVE to ensure you know all of this right before you board. The unusual nature of there being in-show "Emergencies" combined with guests actually "living" there for an extended period (not comparable to, like, a ride where you're likely to be in and out in an hour) . . . I can forgive them this one.

UNCgolf

Wouldn't space based ships have to get out of the atmosphere? If we're going to pretend to compare them to ships that are limited by the size of our oceans, then let's think about the fuel it might take to get out of the atmosphere, or the design choices you'd have to make to reduce friction on reentry.

Now if you were to say that pretend spaceships are not limited by size...

I think the assumption is that the Halycon has never been on a planet's surface, so there's no issue with needing to get in and out of atmosphere.

Of course it's all make believe, but generally in Star Wars (and a lot of other sci-fi properties) large spaceships are built in space at orbital facilities.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
You don't need to slander anyone. They'll all stand on their reputation. If @lentesta or @wdwmagic say something, it carries more weight than others, due to their reputation. There are others that I'm not allowed to mention here. But, you know who to trust and who not to. I know that JoJo isn't on that list. There are others that are getting lowered reputations as I type this.

Is there someone posting who got media invites? Would be an interesting list to examine!
It might be easier to post a list who isn't on the list - it is pretty short. Len did a very good job of breaking down how it works.

techgeek

No arguing this... Disney has crafted the story that the Halicon is supposed to be a high end star ship. The backstory about it's being recently restored to it's glory... yadda yadda yadda.

The even better part - who exactly, has ‘restored’ the ship? Because listening to those imagineering videos it’s apparenty, actually,…. imagineering itself…!? That painstakingly restored the ship and brought it back to its former glory?

I mean, if they spent half as much time building the 4th wall to this as they’ve spent breaking it…. 🙄

MoonRakerSCM

Now wait a minute here... You're saying that I just spent $6,000 to play space bingo... And when I'm one planet away from winning space bingo they will suddenly stop the game due to a STORY MOMENT ALERT!!!! alarm?

When the CM sheepishly comments "Hoho, looks like our game has reached an unexpected end due to some possible trouble out in the atrium" while winking at me... Can I sternly tell them to call the next bingo planet ball? After all, it is MY Star Wars story, and maybe my Star Wars story involves me winning space bingo...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom