News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

TikibirdLand

Ok, got it. People who rely on invitations or freebie events are afraid of being critical for fear of no more invites or freebies.

But, what if an 'influencer' or reviewer or just any old guest is paying their own way, and don't care about special invites, and they actually like it?

How do we slander them in order to discount their positive review?? 🤷‍♂️
You don't need to slander anyone. They'll all stand on their reputation. If @lentesta or @wdwmagic say something, it carries more weight than others, due to their reputation. There are others that I'm not allowed to mention here. But, you know who to trust and who not to. I know that JoJo isn't on that list. There are others that are getting lowered reputations as I type this.

Is there someone posting who got media invites? Would be an interesting list to examine!

yensidtlaw1969

Wait, so... I am sooo confused here.

Is this a ride?
The pre-show video sure seems like it is.
Why do we need a "STORY MOMENT ALERT" is the storyline that bad, that you can't figure out what is going on?

Do they think folks are going to be so engaged that, if let's say a "real fire" breaks out, no one is going to believe it?
Or do the assume some idiot will vape in there room and set off the alarm at 3am... (Betting YES on that one)
When does the air masks deploy and do you put yours on first, then asset children and elderly?

Is this Star Tours, because that pre-show looks like star tours.

Who's the FIRST to open the emergency hatch.... is there one of those bars on the hatch?
"Warning door is alarmed?"
I think it's more that Flashing Red Lights and a Loud Siren is generally the universal code for "Emergency". Since there are clearly show elements that are meant to suggest a "Galactic Emergency", they have to clarify so people don't go running for the exits any time Kylo boards the ship, or whatever.

999th Happy Haunt

Wait, so... I am sooo confused here.

Is this a ride?
The pre-show video sure seems like it is.
Why do we need a "STORY MOMENT ALERT" is the storyline that bad, that you can't figure out what is going on?

Do they think folks are going to be so engaged that, if let's say a "real fire" breaks out, no one is going to believe it?
Or do the assume some idiot will vape in there room and set off the alarm at 3am... (Betting YES on that one)
When does the air masks deploy and do you put yours on first, then asset children and elderly?

Is this Star Tours, because that pre-show looks like star tours.

Who's the FIRST to open the emergency hatch.... is there one of those bars on the hatch?
"Warning door is alarmed?"
This definitely isn't a pre show, it's just a safety briefing. Not meant to be part of the whole immersive experience.

dreday3

Ok, got it. People who rely on invitations or freebie events are afraid of being critical for fear of no more invites or freebies.

But, what if an 'influencer' or reviewer or just any old guest is paying their own way, and don't care about special invites, and they actually like it?

I sort of agree.

It's getting hard to distinguish those who will write something glowing even if they don't mean it from those who will write something scathing just to have the best negative review that people will praise.

We live in weird times. :D

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

He said the "i" word! He said "immersive!"
you-said-the-magic-word.jpg

dreday3

The problem with that is . . . no it isn't.

The reality is that this building is the Starcruiser, but that's not what the guests are meant to believe. So you need to provide them with a plausible alternative - like that there is no building there in which the Starcruiser experience could be taking place. Or that if there is, at least you're not seeing any evidence of it.

I bet you zero out of 1,000 people will see the Starcruiser warehouse and go "that must be where they house the supplies for the little Shuttle that takes us to space". No, it's obvious what's really going on there, and it ruins that part of the illusion. Of course most guests know they aren't actually going to space, but the entire point of this sort of enterprise is to remove all evidence to the contrary. A real cruise is one thing, because the lame buildings at a cruise port are 1) necessary, and 2) not the actual site of the event. Your cruise ship is plenty more appealing, and I bet most people focus their attention on that. But the Starcruiser doesn't have an actual, compelling, on-earth focal point for guests to be distracted by on arrival, so you've instead got to whittle down what they see to only things that support the idea they're about to start an intergalactic voyage. Big white boxy building doesn't do that. It's clear what the truth is.

As is true of any attraction, you have to make it easier to believe that you're on a great adventure than it is to believe you're ping-ponging around a warehouse. The easiest, and most basic way to do this is . . . to hide the warehouse. Otherwise the guests' immediate impulse will be "that must be were this thing actually takes place". Way to spoil the fun before you even get inside.

The same is basically true of taking guests past the backside of Galaxy's Edge on their approach to the Star Cruiser. You're paying 6 Grand for the most mega-Star Wars adventure on earth, and you're making us see how fake it all is before we even start?? Couldn't you take us the long-way 'round through some trees or something? Goodness.

Have SOME sense of Showmanship about this, Disney.

What if....since guests will be driving up to a building no matter what- they had built a sort of Stargate, a portal of sorts, that guests would "walk" through upon entry, transporting them to the Starcruiser? Then just driving up to a regular old building would seem like a sort of subterfuge.

(oh how I wish Disney never dove into the land of Star Wars)

Last edited:

UNCgolf

This kind of sounds like you didn't read the entire Twitter thread? It didn't have this connotation at all.

Casper Gutman

"Slander."

It's going to get harder and harder as Disney's mistakes get tougher to spin, huh?

Virtual Toad

Where has this officially been called "luxury?"
While the word itself is not used in this official link from Disney’s website (below), the language used, including words such as “elegance,” “well appointed,” and “legendary comfort and style,” does connote the promise of a luxurious experience. We can argue semantics but the promotion and price point of the experience are fairly clear in terms of setting expectations.

Read the entire page and form your own opinion by all means. Perhaps someone might interpret the language differently and that’s totally cool with me.

Two excerpts:

“During your journey, you will sleep aboard a ship known throughout the galaxy for its glamour and style—crewed by the incomparable interplanetary travel group, Chandrila Star Line.

Chandrila Star Line is renowned throughout the galaxy for its fleet of comfortable and stylish starcruisers, top-tier service, delicious cuisine and exotic destinations—from the Core Worlds to the Outer Rim and beyond.”

“The Halcyon starcruiser is the jewel of the Chandrila Star Line. Onboard the 100-cabin Corellian MPO-1400 model starcruiser, you’ll voyage to the far reaches of the galaxy in legendary comfort and style.”

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It's almost like people forget the building and services actually have to fit on the plot as well... You can't build a building out infinitely only looking at the interior.

Luxury ship is about relative to what it should be compared to... other ships. Not your favorite resort destination. Luxury ship is a justification to show a clean ship with services, crew, etc as opposed to every other kind of space transit you've seen in Star Wars which is pretty much utilitarian or war ship.
The problem with that is . . . no it isn't.

The reality is that this building is the Starcruiser, but that's not what the guests are meant to believe. So you need to provide them with a plausible alternative - like that there is no building there in which the Starcruiser experience could be taking place. Or that if there is, at least you're not seeing any evidence of it.

I bet you zero out of 1,000 people will see the Starcruiser warehouse and go "that must be where they house the supplies for the little Shuttle that takes us to space". No, it's obvious what's really going on there, and it ruins that part of the illusion. Of course most guests know they aren't actually going to space, but the entire point of this sort of enterprise is to remove all evidence to the contrary. A real cruise is one thing, because the lame buildings at a cruise port are 1) necessary, and 2) not the actual site of the event. Your cruise ship is plenty more appealing, and I bet most people focus their attention on that. But the Starcruiser doesn't have an actual, compelling, on-earth focal point for guests to be distracted by on arrival, so you've instead got to whittle down what they see to only things that support the idea they're about to start an intergalactic voyage. Big white boxy building doesn't do that. It's clear what the truth is.

As is true of any attraction, you have to make it easier to believe that you're on a great adventure than it is to believe you're ping-ponging around a warehouse. The easiest, and most basic way to do this is . . . to hide the warehouse. Otherwise the guests' immediate impulse will be "that must be were this thing actually takes place". Way to spoil the fun before you even get inside.

The same is basically true of taking guests past the backside of Galaxy's Edge on their approach to the Star Cruiser. You're paying 6 Grand for the most mega-Star Wars adventure on earth, and you're making us see how fake it all is before we even start?? Couldn't you take us the long-way 'round through some trees or something? Goodness.

Have SOME sense of Showmanship about this, Disney.
What he is saying is the equivalent of going to the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland but instead of seeing The Berm , you see the show building and go "oh that big towering building must be the garage". That is stupid logic. Hiding show buildings is not only essential but used to be required for big rides to help sell the immersion Disney is offering. Anyone who thinks otherwise are foolish.

Casper Gutman

While the word itself is not used in this official link from Disney’s website (below), the language used, including words such as “elegance,” “well appointed,” and “legendary comfort and style,” does connote the promise of a luxurious experience. We can argue semantics but the promotion and price point of the experience are fairly clear in terms of setting expectations.

Read the entire page and form your own opinion by all means. Perhaps someone might interpret the language differently and that’s totally cool with me.

Two excerpts:

“During your journey, you will sleep aboard a ship known throughout the galaxy for its glamour and style—crewed by the incomparable interplanetary travel group, Chandrila Star Line.

Chandrila Star Line is renowned throughout the galaxy for its fleet of comfortable and stylish starcruisers, top-tier service, delicious cuisine and exotic destinations—from the Core Worlds to the Outer Rim and beyond.”

“The Halcyon starcruiser is the jewel of the Chandrila Star Line. Onboard the 100-cabin Corellian MPO-1400 model starcruiser, you’ll voyage to the far reaches of the galaxy in legendary comfort and style.”

They've released an entire series of comics to highlight its luxury. One of the most famous figures in all pop fiction, an extremely wealthy princess, leader of a transplanetary government, and perhaps the most powerful figure in the Republic, went on the Halcyon for her honeymoon.

They have not been subtle.

999th Happy Haunt

With the recent stuff being leaked/revealed I think it will be a little less of a dumpster fire than most of us have been expecting it to be. Now is it worth the price? Heck no, but it should at least be a cool experience for those willing to cough up the dough.

It is ironic how too much IP in the parks is criticized but when something original within the world of the IP is made its criticized for being too far removed from the stuff people already like. If ToT opened today would people not like it because it's not based off an existing Twilight Zone episode?

dreday3

With the recent stuff being leaked/revealed I think it will be a little less of a dumpster fire than most of us have been expecting it to be. Now is it worth the price? Heck no, but it should at least be a cool experience for those willing to cough up the dough.

It is ironic how too much IP in the parks is criticized but when something original within the world of the IP is made its criticized for being too far removed from the stuff people already like. If ToT opened today would people not like it because it's not based off an existing Twilight Zone episode?

Ah, but every Twilight Zone episode is unique though! :D

Plus, the fan-base is much more chill, I know.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Not remotley the same thing. What you are saying really is a streeeeetch.

yensidtlaw1969

What if....since guests will be driving up to a building no matter what- they had built a sort of Stargate, a portal of sorts, that guests would "walk" through upon entry, transporting them to the Starcruiser? Then just driving up to a regular old building would seem like a sort of subterfuge.

(oh how I wish Disney never dove into the land of Star Wars)
I mean, I understand the impluse to bring guests to a "Launch Pad" and send them blasting off into space toward the ship. That's a great way to start a Star Wars Adventure.

But, like, they have to do it well. Build a launch pad that hides the showbuilding. Or at least doesn't parade you past it on the way there.

Consider the pains Disney took to hide the showbuilding of The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. It cannot be seen from any guest-facing area, inside or outside of the park. They did that in the 1960's.

All they had to do here was build a berm and plant some trees. Would have loved it if they took it a step further and did some real sleight-of-hand to make you think there's no building around that could house the Starcruiser interiors . . . but berm and trees would have sufficed. And they didn't even do that right? 😳

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom