News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MrPromey

I've been wondering about that too, but I didn't want to jinx it. Perhaps they realized Kathleen Kennedy dressed up as Captain Karen was the one thing they should erase quickly before opening? One can hope.

Point of correction, but they did not include a tank of gas in the total for a trip from San Francisco to Disneyland. The average price of gas in California today is $4.77 for 87 octane regular. Although the stations near Disneyland today are around $5.15 per gallon, and downtown San Francisco is around $5.05 per gallon today. (California has the highest gas taxes in the nation, plus a state carbon tax on energy.)

Driving a family the 400 miles one-way to Disneyland and back from San Francisco in a mid-size Ford Explorer that gets 30 mpg would cost about $125 in gas. That brings the difference in cost to $1,020, making a week's trip to Disneyland Paris over a thousand dollars cheaper than a week's road trip to Disneyland.

In Disneyland's defense, the park was closed by order of the Governor for well over a year; from March 13th, 2020 until April 30th, 2021. There is still pent-up demand.
That is true about them not mentioning gas in the article. I added that myself to the statement to make clear that, this being a WDW forum thread, they were talking about a trip to DL W/O airfare or serious distance travel being involved since that part may not have been obvious or clear to anyone who didn’t bother reading the article.

You’re right thst the reality of the comparison is actually even a little worse.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

So your saying the room artwork was current state all along but the other artwork was concept artwork?
I’m saying across the bird with every project you can’t assume published art is actually conceptual. In some cases like the exterior of Riviera the released “concept art” is directly from the “blueprints.”

Yes, the person who designed the exterior artwork of the ship and the person who designed the layout of the hotel.

If it was the same groups doing both, then they could have created another ship design that would account for the actual hotel layout.
The layout of the hotel makes no logical sense compared to the ship diagram.
It’s all one project team. People don’t work alone and just see what happens.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Your drive up to the portico hides the building behind a berm and trees. I don't think that's going to be a problem. But, they may want to have a churro cart on the way...

I think the point is the journey BEFORE you get to the drop-off. The approach from the main throughfare is too utility and the screening of the facility towards other directions is insufficent.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What actual size constraints are you talking about?

Actual cruise ships have a constraint, the rooms have to be small to shove in as many people as you can ($$$) but yet the ship still floats.

What would the constraints be on a star ship?
You'd still want to be in character. This is a transport ship - not a destination resort. Starships would have space constraints like ocean ships today.

People would sleep in a corner if Disney had made the rest of the place mind blowing. The fixation on rooms would disappear if the experience was worth it. The room isn't why you book this place.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you catch a glimpse of the boxy building driving up then you're seeing a space port, not the ship.

If you're driving up to Grand Central Station, you see a boxy building, not a train.

Depends on your town... And the train stations I visit where the trains are visible are at least consistent with each other.

Boxy building looks nothing like a functional thing unless it were a distribution center.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Remember, in their minds, this is a home run. If you look at the shops in SWGE, all of the shops are very small, not only to save money by doing the bare minimum, it also makes it look very busy and creates demand. (Looking at you, Olga's Canteen-missed opportunity because it so small)

They are also small to be part of what is supposed to be a real space. Just like Hogsmeades shops are small, not to be cheap, but to be in character. You don't goto a street market and find Walmart sized aisles and shelves.

All this 'obviously its cheap because...' talk is so turrible. At least bring a convincing reason, not one that just aligns with the predisposition.

themerebear6453

This got me a little excited for the first time in a long time about this project. A part of me is still hoping this is a fun vacation. I wanted to do the Starcruiser so bad when it was announced. Up until a few months ago, my husband and I still planned to book it for when our daughter is a bit older.

I'm not saying this video is great, I'm just saying I dos feel excited watching it and waiting to see what this thing will actually be.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's almost like people forget the building and services actually have to fit on the plot as well... You can't build a building out infinitely only looking at the interior.

Luxury ship is about relative to what it should be compared to... other ships. Not your favorite resort destination. Luxury ship is a justification to show a clean ship with services, crew, etc as opposed to every other kind of space transit you've seen in Star Wars which is pretty much utilitarian or war ship.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The fact you have to watch a safety video that undermines the very illusion of stuff before you even enter the place is such a story telling tragedy. Imagine if before getting on POTC you had to watch a video on how to safely turn on emergency lights, drain the flume, and be shown where all the fire doors were.

I get the idea of telling people the difference between show and 'real emergency' but this is so blunt.

Thelazer

Wait, so... I am sooo confused here.

Is this a ride?
The pre-show video sure seems like it is.
Why do we need a "STORY MOMENT ALERT" is the storyline that bad, that you can't figure out what is going on?

Do they think folks are going to be so engaged that, if let's say a "real fire" breaks out, no one is going to believe it?
Or do the assume some idiot will vape in there room and set off the alarm at 3am... (Betting YES on that one)
When does the air masks deploy and do you put yours on first, then asset children and elderly?

Is this Star Tours, because that pre-show looks like star tours.

Who's the FIRST to open the emergency hatch.... is there one of those bars on the hatch?
"Warning door is alarmed?"

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

LMAO!!! SO stupid.

1. Star Wars does not have a red alert. That red flashing and alarm sound will make it feel even MORE less like Star Wars and more like Star Trek.

2. Why are they breaking their 4th wall this early by having someone welcome you to 'Star Wars'?? Why is it not someone from the fake cruise line company they came up with greeting guests from the get go and going over the safety crap???

3. What the heck is he wearing? Looks nothing from Star Wars.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Because the warehouse is just support structure for the shuttle that takes you to the starcruiser. That's the building where they house supplies and the shuttle you ride up to the starcruiser. The story isn't that you are walking into the starcruiser itself. You ever see some of the buildings at cruise ports? Some are real S*** holes. Doesn't detract from the experience once on board. There's plenty of crap to pick this apart for, this isn't one of them.

Now price out going on a Royal Caribbean or Carnival cruise. You can probably cruise for weeks for what your hypothetical trips cost.
The problem with that is . . . no it isn't.

The reality is that this building is the Starcruiser, but that's not what the guests are meant to believe. So you need to provide them with a plausible alternative - like that there is no building there in which the Starcruiser experience could be taking place. Or that if there is, at least you're not seeing any evidence of it.

I bet you zero out of 1,000 people will see the Starcruiser warehouse and go "that must be where they house the supplies for the little Shuttle that takes us to space". No, it's obvious what's really going on there, and it ruins that part of the illusion. Of course most guests know they aren't actually going to space, but the entire point of this sort of enterprise is to remove all evidence to the contrary. A real cruise is one thing, because the lame buildings at a cruise port are 1) necessary, and 2) not the actual site of the event. Your cruise ship is plenty more appealing, and I bet most people focus their attention on that. But the Starcruiser doesn't have an actual, compelling, on-earth focal point for guests to be distracted by on arrival, so you've instead got to whittle down what they see to only things that support the idea they're about to start an intergalactic voyage. Big white boxy building doesn't do that. It's clear what the truth is.

As is true of any attraction, you have to make it easier to believe that you're on a great adventure than it is to believe you're ping-ponging around a warehouse. The easiest, and most basic way to do this is . . . to hide the warehouse. Otherwise the guests' immediate impulse will be "that must be were this thing actually takes place". Way to spoil the fun before you even get inside.

The same is basically true of taking guests past the backside of Galaxy's Edge on their approach to the Star Cruiser. You're paying 6 Grand for the most mega-Star Wars adventure on earth, and you're making us see how fake it all is before we even start?? Couldn't you take us the long-way 'round through some trees or something? Goodness.

Have SOME sense of Showmanship about this, Disney.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not going to post the entire thread here (you can click the tweet below to read), but this from @lentesta on Twitter is a good read before the embargo lifts tomorrow -

Ok, got it. People who rely on invitations or freebie events are afraid of being critical for fear of no more invites or freebies.

But, what if an 'influencer' or reviewer or just any old guest is paying their own way, and don't care about special invites, and they actually like it?

How do we slander them in order to discount their positive review?? 🤷‍♂️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom