News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

flynnibus

Premium Member
Actual cruise ships have every passenger participate in a muster drill to know how to react in case of an emergency before sailing. My only complaint is this video would be fine before arrival, but once at the Starcruiser, Disney should be keeping things 100% in-story. Though they probably would need to be blunt about story moments and real emergencies so people would get it.

actual cruise ships deal with actual maritime laws that require such muster drills. None of that applies here.

This is not compatible with the story, in fact it explicitly shows you how the story is interrupted while foolishly mixing 'necessary disclosures' IN THE SHOW EXPERIENCE. Dumb.

EeyoreFan#24

For the record, I have no problem with the pre-boarding safety video. This is a unique hotel experience, in a building with no windows and no doors (say that in a Paul Frees voice), so they obviously need to do this sort of safety briefing for arriving guests. And again, you also have to satisfy the lawyers.

My only guffaw and rewind moment came at the "DRAMATIC STORY EVENT!" explanation of what the different alarms mean. That right there, that's pure comedy. :cool:

I agree with that too. It's pretty funny.

durangojim

Anyone want to play a game of “caption this photo”? I’ll start.
FB55B111-937E-4428-B943-54E26AF19346.jpeg

“Sorry Billy, there is no pool, but there are dramatic story events!”

yensidtlaw1969

I actually agree with the safety video presentation and the timing of doing it on-site. I have developed and participated in many emergency exercises. When you do a full scale (live action with actual responders and equipment). You always have a communications plan for the event. Specific phrases to start communications during the exercise "Exercise....*transmission*....Exercise" and when you have a real emergency, you switch to plain speak and say "real world emergency...transmission*".

Sounds very cheesy in person, but is very practical and safe. I think putting this in an prearrival email and expecting people to read, remember, and act when needed would be giving the general public too much credit.
Agreed. There's a lot to pick on about the Starcruiser, but this is clearly less about telegraphing to turn your attention to a *STORY MOMENT* and MUCH more about delineating the difference between an In-Story "Emergency" and a REAL "Emergency".

Flashing Red Lights mean "The Star Ship Is Under Attack!", and not "The literal Building is on Fire".

And similarly, don't ignore a call to evacuate the building thinking "this must part of it, right?"

flynnibus

Premium Member
I mean, this seems like something that DOES happen when you check in, before you board the shuttle to the Starcruiser.

How much you want to bet it's just the hallway before the shuttle?

I get that it would be ideal for thematic integrity that this be as separate from the Starcruiser experience as possible, but for safety purposes I'm sure they HAVE to ensure you know all of this right before you board

No, it's CYA. Does Disney put you through a safety spiel about fake fire effects before you board POTC? Or make you watch a video about how to find the hidden fire exits on every attraction you ride? The fact you stay there longer doesn't make this some new necessity - it's Disney overreaching to cover it's behind because some risk assessor probably forced it.

TP2000

Anyone want to play a game of “caption this photo”? I’ll start.
View attachment 623992
“Sorry Billy, there is no pool, but there are dramatic story events!”
fb55b111-937e-4428-b943-54e26af19346-jpeg.623992

"Your mom and your sister saw the Yelp reviews for this so they're staying at the Grand Floridian. Just get in that box Billy and go to sleep, cause daddy is going to go, um, play Sabacc with a lady he met in the lounge."

yensidtlaw1969

How much you want to bet it's just the hallway before the shuttle?

No, it's CYA. Does Disney put you through a safety spiel about fake fire effects before you board POTC? Or make you watch a video about how to find the hidden fire exits on every attraction you ride? The fact you stay there longer doesn't make this some new necessity - it's Disney overreaching to cover it's behind because some risk assessor probably forced it.
The difference is that you're stuck in a boat in Pirates of the Caribbean, and it's pretty sufficiently clear the fire is an effect and not a multiple-alarm event. Whereas on the Starcruiser, if people didn't know better they might hear the sirens and see the lights and panic-bolt for the easily-accessible emergency doors. It's not really the same.

I bet it is in the hallway just before the shuttle. I bet it's the last thing you see before you cross the threshold.

MoonRakerSCM

I think putting this in an prearrival email and expecting people to read, remember, and act when needed would be giving the general public too much credit.
The safety portion of this HILARIOUS video is actually sensible and proclamated by probably more than one department (including legal). By playing it in front of every guest prior to entering, they assure that each person has been informed.

To tie together a life experience of mine into two ongoing conversations on here... I did a 3 month scientific expedition on the Southern Atlantic several years ago. I was part of the science crew and we were the dweebs doing the work while the crew kept us safe and alive. We had to do multiple drills during our 3 month (non-stop) cruise at sea. One time involved a full drill getting into our cold water immersion suits and was pure hell for me. In the event of piracy, we even had instructions on how to get into the saferoom and what the password was to be let in (I still remember it) and that we were never to ask to be let in or give the password away if we were hostage to an adverse party at gunpoint. I get safety... it hits you REAL fast when you least expect it and in a situation like this, the safety notice is certainly warranted.

That cruise was on the R/V Melville (good ship, retired to the Philippines last I heard). I had a private room on the lower deck with no windows and a shared bathroom with a friend of mine. While the room and bathroom were much more industrial than the rooms on the Halcyon... my room was MASSIVE compared to the rooms in this hotel and the bathroom was several times the size (even had dual sinks). There literally is NO excuse for Disney to have made the rooms as cramped as they are other than to be cheap.

EeyoreFan#24

The safety portion of this HILARIOUS video is actually sensible and proclamated by probably more than one department (including legal). By playing it in front of every guest prior to entering, they assure that each person has been informed.

To tie together a life experience of mine into two ongoing conversations on here... I did a 3 month scientific expedition on the Southern Atlantic several years ago. I was part of the science crew and we were the dweebs doing the work while the crew kept us safe and alive. We had to do multiple drills during our 3 month (non-stop) cruise at sea. One time involved a full drill getting into our cold water immersion suits and was pure hell for me. In the event of piracy, we even had instructions on how to get into the saferoom and what the password was to be let in (I still remember it) and that we were never to ask to be let in or give the password away if we were hostage to an adverse party at gunpoint. I get safety... it hits you REAL fast when you least expect it and in a situation like this, the safety notice is certainly warranted.

That cruise was on the R/V Melville (good ship, retired to the Philippines last I heard). I had a private room on the lower deck with no windows and a shared bathroom with a friend of mine. While the room and bathroom were much more industrial than the rooms on the Halcyon... my room was MASSIVE compared to the rooms in this hotel and the bathroom was several times the size (even had dual sinks). There literally is NO excuse for Disney to have made the rooms as cramped as they are other than to be cheap.

Oh yes, most of the brief's sound hilarious when read separate from other materials. That's an interesting one, maritime piracy is a scenario I have not had any need to plan for!

flynnibus

Premium Member
The difference is that you're stuck in a boat in Pirates of the Caribbean, and it's pretty sufficiently clear the fire is an effect and not a multiple-alarm event. Whereas on the Starcruiser, if people didn't know better they might hear the sirens and see the lights and panic-bolt for the easily-accessible emergency doors. It's not really the same.

Something that could be explained and differentiated through words and descriptions - WITHOUT SHOWING THE SHOW being stopped.

We can explain to people what a fire drill is like without having to show them a video of it and how it's different from the office party.

Heck, they could have even made it better by making it being part of the opening greeting by the staff by doing it elegantly in the show to explain the differences.

Or simply part of the dialog by the staff as you check-in.

This sledgehammer approach is DUMB. Disney mastered the technique of blending safety briefings INTO THE SHOW in the 80s and 90s.. and now we've forgotten all of that.

Watch the Indiana Jones preshow and then watch this. Heck, even watch the Indiana Jones STUNT show introduction.. then watch this. Both examples of how to get your message across without having to contradict everything you just signed up to believe in.

waltography

One thought I had on the night before the embargo lift: Why haven't we seen the much-hyped lightsaber beyond a few carefully orchestrated shots (same angle, grip, and all)? I feel like given the immense blowback a lot of the marketing has seen I would've anticipated even a quick cut (1-2 seconds max) to the show lightsaber in action during a "story moment" just so people had some kind of wow moment to latch onto.

MoonRakerSCM

actual cruise ships deal with actual maritime laws that require such muster drills. None of that applies here.

This is not compatible with the story, in fact it explicitly shows you how the story is interrupted while foolishly mixing 'necessary disclosures' IN THE SHOW EXPERIENCE. Dumb.

There must have been countless meetings where the discussion was 'how do we have an emergency.... that's not an emergency?'... This is quite interesting and honestly I hadn't even considered it until this vid came out. If anything this shows that the entire concept at its core, is flawed.

it's Disney overreaching to cover it's behind because some risk assessor probably forced it.

Exactly. This went through several reviews by the multitude of legal departments in the company to cover every single centimeter of their butt as they can...

This likely would have been a better approach. It's an awkward situation all around... I see the 'need' for it... but Disney has overplayed it... which is in part due to the HILARIOUSLY ridiculous "RED ALERT, LIFE CHANGING MOMENT INBOUND ALARM!!!!!!!!"

flynnibus

Premium Member
Agreed. There's a lot to pick on about the Starcruiser, but this is clearly less about telegraphing to turn your attention to a *STORY MOMENT* and MUCH more about delineating the difference between an In-Story "Emergency" and a REAL "Emergency".

Flashing Red Lights mean "The Star Ship Is Under Attack!", and not "The literal Building is on Fire".

And similarly, don't ignore a call to evacuate the building thinking "this must part of it, right?"

So the guy who was trying to handle that need AS PART OF THE DESIGN would make sure the language, effects, and presentation used would not be confused with a premise emergency.. and would differentiate it better than saying "the show effects will pause and the stage lights will come on".

They could use language, color, etc to differentiate -- and then simply communicate that lexicon to the guests... WITHOUT SHOWING HOW THE SHOW STOPS before they even experience any of it.

Dumb Dumb Dumb. This is bolt-on legalese.

yensidtlaw1969

Something that could be explained and differentiated through words and descriptions - WITHOUT SHOWING THE SHOW being stopped.

We can explain to people what a fire drill is like without having to show them a video of it and how it's different from the office party.

Heck, they could have even made it better by making it being part of the opening greeting by the staff by doing it elegantly in the show to explain the differences.

This sledgehammer approach is DUMB. Disney mastered the technique of blending safety briefings INTO THE SHOW in the 80s and 90s.. and now we've forgotten all of that.

Watch the Indiana Jones preshow and then watch this. Heck, even watch the Indiana Jones STUNT show introduction.. then watch this. Both examples of how to get your message across without having to contradict everything you just signed up to believe in.
You really don't think that people would see flashing red lights and hear alarms sounding and freak out, even if they were told the day before that was part of it? I think you're underestimating the public. If you have to explain the difference, then you have to SHOW them the difference.

I'd like to think there's a better way - that video is definitely unintentionally cringey. But like I said, this is a place where I feel like I can cut them a little slack. It's the . . . everything else I take real issue with.

waltography

We can explain to people what a fire drill is, but without the opportunity to actually run a drill, there's no expectation that a guest knows how to behave. We know how to react to fire drills not just because we were told what to do, but because we put it into action. The video is the next best way to model appropriate behavior without the ability to do that.

Especially when wires are crossed and part of the experience may simulate an emergency (as they've suggested given how the bridge training becomes important at a later story moment), I think the video is perfectly fine to showcase the difference between an in-show emergency and a real one. Are you mad when the emergency lights are turned on when Indiana Jones E-stops because it disrupts the immersion?

There's so much more appropriate things to rip the Galactic Starsnoozer on, but the pre-boarding spiel isn't it, in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom