News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Tha Realest

"You can't criticize it yet - we've only heard their plan for this!"
"You can't criticize it yet - we've only seen concept art."
"You can't criticize it yet - the price might be worth it. Wait and see."
"You can't criticize it yet - that's just a promotional video. It'll be better in person."
"You can't criticize it yet - those are just unverified testers. Way too early to judge."
"You can't criticize it yet - that video was shot with a bad iPhone probably weeks ago."
"You can't criticize it yet - that furniture is probably just temporary and it will be replaced in the next few days."
"You can't criticize it yet - those are the first guests who have unrealistic expectations."
"You can't criticize it yet - it hasn't found its rhythm. It'll get there."
"You can't criticize it yet - the hospitality industry never really recovered from Covid."
"You can't criticize it yet - it's being reconfigured to a normal hotel and more people will be able to experience it."
"You can't criticize it yet - Galaxy's Edge is moving away from it's fixed timeline era and they have to adapt accordingly."

TP2000

It looks like a school dance in the gym.

I've watched that YouTube video three times so far today, and you know what vibe I'm honestly getting?

Drag Show Nite at a gay bar. I've been to a few of those in my day, and the lighting and aesthetics in swanky big city gay bars are usually better than what Disney has done here with this long, charmless, low-ceiling room. But the overly tinted lighting and the way Gaya vamps around the room with exagerated emotion and faux drama!, it's giving me drag queen vibes. But Gaya is without a drag queen's wit or charm, and the poor dear is forced to sing a song no one knows.

It's just a shame that WDI couldn't spend the same budget on this room's aesthetics and furnishings that some of the good gay bars in West Hollywood or San Diego do.

MoonRakerSCM

I have no experience with such clubs but have seen The Birdcage (Absolutely hilarious. Sadly I've never seen the original La Cage aux Folles). The tables look similar...

Back in the day my grandparents used to visit San Francisco and go to Finnochios. They always said "they know how to put on a damn good show".

Perhaps what this is missing is some good natured actual talent...

asianway

I've watched that YouTube video three times so far today, and you know what vibe I'm honestly getting?

Drag Show Nite at a gay bar. I've been to a few of those in my day, and the lighting and aesthetics in swanky big city gay bars are usually better than what Disney has done here with this long, charmless, low-ceiling room. But the overly tinted lighting and the way Gaya vamps around the room with exagerated emotion and faux drama!, it's giving me drag queen vibes. But Gaya is without a drag queen's wit or charm, and the poor dear is forced to sing a song no one knows.

It's just a shame that WDI couldn't spend the same budget on this room's aesthetics and furnishings that some of the good gay bars in West Hollywood or San Diego do.
I was thinking strip club or Great White concert

TP2000

I have no experience with such clubs but have seen The Birdcage (Absolutely hilarious. Sadly I've never seen the original La Cage aux Folles). The tables look similar...

Back in the day my grandparents used to visit San Francisco and go to Finnochios. They always said "they know how to put on a damn good show".

Perhaps what this is missing is some good natured actual talent...

I'm not a big Star Wars guy, but I loved the original 3 films that I saw in theaters in '77 and early 80's. The first film especially had wit and charm and laugh out loud moments.

This Starcruiser product seems entirely devoid of wit and charm, and is humorless. The character of Gaya seems like a perfect opportunity to inject a personality with humor and charm into the experience, and give her some witty lines to say. She can be the much needed laugh line in many of these scenarios they want to play out onboard.

But... nope. Gaya seems to take herself just as seriously as all the hipster Imagineers and clueless Burbank execs who built this thing. She vamps around the room like a drag queen, but without any sense of humor or any self awareness of how boring she appears to be. She looks like a drag queen, but has no personality to match.

Gaya is yet another cargo car to go off the rails in this evolving train wreck. :oops:

Incomudro

I'm not a big Star Wars guy, but I loved the original 3 films that I saw in theaters in '77 and early 80's. The first film especially had wit and charm and laugh out loud moments.

This Starcruiser product seems entirely devoid of wit and charm, and is humorless. The character of Gaya seems like a perfect opportunity to inject a personality with humor and charm into the experience, and give her some witty lines to say. She can be the laugh line in many of these scenarios they want to play out onboard.

But... nope. Gaya seems to take herself just as seriously as all the hipster Imagineers and clueless Burbank execs who built this thing. She vamps around the room like a drag queen, but without any sense of humor or any self awareness of how boring she appears to be. She looks like a drag queen, but has no personality to match.

Yet another big cargo car to go off the rails in this evolving train wreck. :oops:
To be fair, we really don't know much about Gaya.
Perhaps she has a schtick?

TP2000

To be fair, we really don't know much about Gaya.
Perhaps she has a schtick?

Let's hope. But I am thisclose to giving up on this whole thing. If she had a schtick and a fun personality to interact with, that would have leaked in some of the reports this week. It hasn't.

It appears Gaya is exactly what she appears to be;
A humorless drag queen who takes herself and her limited unknown playlist very seriously.

TrojanUSC

Show me a photo of a high school gym that looks like what we’ve seen from the Strarcruiser.

Look, I’m not impressed by what we’ve seen so far. But the comments here tell me that many of those with strong opinions obviously aren’t that familiar with Star Wars.

I wouldn't say high school gym, but the overall layout definitely has community rec center vibes. If this fails, Bingo Night would be a hit.

TP2000

The leaked videos and actual reviews for Galactic Starcruiser will be coming in fast and furious over the next few days. But let's review this dining room and Gaya performance we've just seen leaked video of.

The Crown of Corelia Dining Room on the Galactic Starcruiser is used for main meal services and the evening dinner show featuring Gaya. That dining room concept has evolved from slightly underwhelming yet still cool looking concept art like this...

star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel-restaurant-concept-art-1.jpg

To ever-so-slightly more underwhelming concept art (and a much lower ceiling) that at least looks okay...

crown-of-corellia-dining-room-galactic-starcruiser-star-wars-hotel-concept-art.jpeg

To carefully staged marketing material that a former Imagineer brilliantly skewered as Applebee's adjacent... 🤣

FMTS8B6UYAAsQFH

To this actual reality from a preview cruise a few days before it opens to paying customers...

DragShowAtRich'sSanDiego.png

So, I'm going to go ahead and think the dining room and Gaya scene is not going to be a real highlight. 🤨

But, at least the reports are that the food is very good! And I said a couple months ago that the food presentation and curation looks really impressive. So whoever was in charge of the food program for this hotel did very well! It's just a shame that food has to be served in this unimpressive room with that performer vamping around needlessly.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

But, at least the reports are that the food is very good! And I said a couple months ago that the food presentation and curation looks really impressive. So whoever was in charge of the food program for this hotel did very well! It's just a shame that food has to be served in this space with that performer vamping around needlessly.
not for nothing, but a recent Disney Dish podcast noted the very substantial downturn in food quality at Space 220. So, even if it’s a highlight out of the gate, that is not necessarily a fixed quality.

Sir_Cliff

New video on the development of the Starcruiser -

One thing that strikes me watching that is how impressive the theming of Galaxy's Edge looks next to the footage you see of the Starcruiser. I am willing to wait until reports start coming out before declaring it a failure and, honestly, I know I'm never going on it however great those reports are. However, it does look like a decent theme bar in a major city so far. The images they show from Galaxy's Edge, though, suggest a far more fully-realised environment with texture, depth, and layers. Considering the Starcruiser is supposed to be the deluxe version of the Galaxy's Edge experience, you'd think it would be the other way around.

Also, is it just me, or do the three of them look kind of miserable?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom