News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Listen, I have no vested interest in defending the sequel trilogies - I'm not really a Star Wars guy beyond where my interest in the parks brings me - but let's not pretend that Rey being lame was Daisy Ridley's fault and that she hasn't worked since. It wasn't and she has . But let's also keep in mind that one of the perks of starring in a massive Hollywood franchise is that afterwards you can afford to take time off if you so wish.

I wouldn't say we're far enough out to properly judge the impact Rey's scattered reception has on her career trajectory, and I definitely don't think she sank to the levels of Hayden Christiensen. They both had very little to work with, but she never seemed to phone things in the way he did constantly. I think it could be fairly argued that she was merely a competent actress being handed a poorly written character, whereas he tanked every scene he was in. She seemed to do her best with what she had and he seemed to do his worst.
I’m not blaming her…that’s just it. The reference to Portman was when she was nominated for the oscars/golden globes/ etc…she was open that she was Hollywood pariah and thanked mike Nichols for taking a chance on her. There was no innuendo.
Star Wars is a beast…it’s not like anything else…I can do a whole series of podcasts If you want to know why (for another time) about it. It created modern Hollywood.

in a bizarre other universe…it’s actually easier to understand Lucas screwing up than it is Disney. They had history as a tool…but they left it in the toolbag

but we’re off track…let’s get back to the lego cruiser👍🏻

Sir_Cliff

Instead of pretending this is real and only communicating to potential customers as representatives of Chandrila Star Lines living within their own universe, they are standing there as hipster 2020's Imagineers bragging about how fake it is.
That's the dumbest and most narcissistic marketing strategy for an "immersive adventure" I've ever seen. :banghead:
Yes, I really don't get this approach. Why not, for example, release a video from Chandrila Star Lines promoting the re-launch of the Halcyon now returned to its former glory instead of having an Imagineer & someone from Lucasfilm standing in the hotel with the lights turned up explaining that's the concept behind the hotel and that they've produced some comics people can read if they want to know the backstory?

lunchbox1175

Listen, I have no vested interest in defending the sequel trilogies - I'm not really a Star Wars guy beyond where my interest in the parks brings me - but let's not pretend that Rey being lame was Daisy Ridley's fault and that she hasn't worked since. It wasn't and she has . But let's also keep in mind that one of the perks of starring in a massive Hollywood franchise is that afterwards you can afford to take time off if you so wish.

I wouldn't say we're far enough out to properly judge the impact Rey's scattered reception has on her career trajectory, and I definitely don't think she sank to the levels of Hayden Christiensen. They both had very little to work with, but she never seemed to phone things in the way he did constantly. I think it could be fairly argued that she was merely a competent actress being handed a poorly written character, whereas he tanked every scene he was in. She seemed to do her best with what she had and he seemed to do his worst.
Also, Hayden made a decision to leave hollywood and raise his kids after Takers. His wife's career was blowing up at the time, so it was an easy thing for him to do.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
True. They've hidden away Ann Morrow and the C List sitcom stars, at least for now.

But they're still doing that stupid thing where they spend a huge chunk of time showing the product in unflattering light and droning on about how clever they were for building this fake Star Wars hotel behind a Florida theme park.

Instead of pretending this is real and only communicating to potential customers as representatives of Chandrila Star Lines living within their own universe, they are standing there as hipster 2020's Imagineers bragging about how fake it is.
That's the dumbest and most narcissistic marketing strategy for an "immersive adventure" I've ever seen. :banghead:

Yes, I really don't get this approach. Why not, for example, release a video from Chanfila Star Lines promoting the re-launch of the Halcyon now returned to its former glory instead of having an Imagineer & someone from Lucasfilm standing in the hotel with the lights turned up explaining that's the concept behind the hotel and that they've produced some comics people can read if they want to know the backstory?
To be fair…this cringe stuff out of imagineering appears to systemic…and they just had a bloodbath/deck clearing there…and put minute clinic lady in charge…

I don’t think this has much to do with Star Wars specifically.

UNCgolf

Yes, I really don't get this approach. Why not, for example, release a video from Chandrila Star Lines promoting the re-launch of the Halcyon now returned to its former glory instead of having an Imagineer & someone from Lucasfilm standing in the hotel with the lights turned up explaining that's the concept behind the hotel and that they've produced some comics people can read if they want to know the backstory?

This would be far more effective.

Stranger Things did this with their fake 80s mall ad and people went crazy over it -- and that was for a TV show that people were already invested in and thus didn't really need to attract new viewers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Also, Hayden made a decision to leave hollywood and raise his kids after Takers. His wife's career was blowing up at the time, so it was an easy thing for him to do.
He was never married 😎

I gotta ask - do you remember the criticism of him in 2002? Just wondering. No stretch to say it did a lot to derail him from “up and comer” status. He had acclaimed early work, one “big movie” released right after the three movies…then was gone. It’s an old Hollywood pattern…not a conspiracy.

Sir_Cliff

This would be far more effective.

Stranger Things did this with their fake 80s mall ad and people went crazy over it -- and that was for a TV show that people were already invested in and thus didn't really need to attract new viewers.
Yes, it's strange they didn't go this route. It would be the perfect opportunity to both showcase the features of the hotel while reinforcing the whole concept behind it.

Tha Realest

Because they’re more enamored with telling you how brilliant they are than just sticking to the conceit and letting the results speak for themselves.

Lil Copter Cap

The biggest mistake (and I stand behind it being the biggest) is the confusing marketing switch from "hotel experience" to "2-night adventure." Ann Morrow Johnson said recently in a podcast (from InPark Magazine) it is not a hotel and even thanks the host of the podcast for asking "What is Galactic Starcruiser?" weeks out from its opening...yikes.

This mishap has produced high expectations (especially with the price point) as Disney KNOWS (knew?) resort hotels and entertainment. Throw them together and it will print money. And I truly believe if this was being treated as a hotel internally, this would've gone off without a hitch. It's why their literal cruise wing of the company is so beloved. This is live theatre with a bed and food (because they have to provide it).

When I see this from the lens of "Immersive Theatre" (a la Sleep No More in NYC), I can get behind how innovative and brilliant this concept is—you're elevating live theatre to an elongated show format. However, even WITH the price point, I'm lost. And saying 'the market of those that love immersive theatre with the money to burn is small' is a vast understatement. Throw the extra filter of Star Wars fans and the pool is even smaller.

I can't see this succeeding as a long-term investment. And it is, once again, a corporate decision for short term gain, as opposed to a polished product for long-term sustainability. My head already hurts thinking about the training that will have to go into all of the roles for this "show" —but alas, popcorn is at the ready and March is gonna be a wonderful show to watch from afar.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The biggest mistake (and I stand behind it being the biggest) is the confusing marketing switch from "hotel experience" to "2-night adventure." Ann Morrow Johnson said recently in a podcast (from InPark Magazine) it is not a hotel and even thanks the host of the podcast for asking "What is Galactic Starcruiser?" weeks out from its opening...yikes.

This mishap has produced high expectations (especially with the price point) as Disney KNOWS (knew?) resort hotels and entertainment. Throw them together and it will print money. And I truly believe if this was being treated as a hotel internally, this would've gone off without a hitch. It's why their literal cruise wing of the company is so beloved. This is live theatre with a bed and food (because they have to provide it).

When I see this from the lens of "Immersive Theatre" (a la Sleep No More in NYC), I can get behind how innovative and brilliant this concept is—you're elevating live theatre to an elongated show format. However, even WITH the price point, I'm lost. And saying 'the market of those that love immersive theatre with the money to burn is small' is a vast understatement. Throw the extra filter of Star Wars fans and the pool is even smaller.

I can't see this succeeding as a long-term investment. And it is, once again, a corporate decision for short term gain, as opposed to a polished product for long-term sustainability. My head already hurts thinking about the training that will have to go into all of the roles for this "show" —but alas, popcorn is at the ready and March is gonna be a wonderful show to watch from afar.
I don’t disagree with a lot of what you say here…

but one problem is Disney has been de-emphasizing the quality of their hotels and entertainment the ENTIRE Bobs era. It’s a 1:1.

Lil Copter Cap

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you say here…

but one problem is Disney has been de-emphasizing the quality of their hotels and entertainment the ENTIRE Bobs era. It’s a 1:1.
Precisely! And that's why I added in my little parenthetical "(knew)?" there at the end. I agree with you entirely. And I think that's why I'm annoyed at myself for ever thinking this would be an acceptable hotel experience, even if it ended up being that type of product.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It does look better in the show lighting vs the interview. Which was a problem I pointed out with the previous video that came out.

ETA: not to stay it looks great, but the show lighting does hide a bit of the toy plastic-ness of the set.
Oh you mean in the dark by turning the lights out?! Because that is what it is. And why do they turn the lights off and have a red alert going on in the first place?! That is a Star Trek thing NEVER a Star Wars thing. HAVE YOU SEEN STAR WARS, DISNEY???!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom