News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know much has been said about the decision to set Galaxy's Edge in a specific era in Star Wars, but can we take a minute to talk about the real stupidity of picking the particular era they chose?

There was something fun to the idea of being able to walk into a living mid-quel between The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker . . . for about a few months before Rise of Skywalker came out and ended that trilogy. Now here we are 3 years later, and this new addition is still stuck in the limbo of events that happened prior to the last installation of the story . . . what??

Anyone with any real planning sense should have looked at a conceptual level and said "it would make WAY more sense for us to either move up the release of The Last Jedi or push back the opening of Galaxy's Edge so that we can open a place set in an era after the events of that trilogy. Having seen Rise of Skywalker it's decently clear why they chose not to do that . . . *cough* Kylo *cough* . . . but it would have given them SO much more leeway to create exciting things to happen that 1) Don't have to retroactively jibe with events that, like, could have secretly happened between films, and 2) aren't sending us back to a seemingly arbitrary period in the history of Star Wars. I get the idea of wanting to insert people into a moment of high-conflict in the galaxy, but why would I now, having seen The Rise of Skywalker, want to walk specifically into the moments before that movie happened, effectively being asked to pretend they haven't happened yet?

They couldn't have coordinated the writing of Rise of Skywalker with the plans for Galaxy's Edge and left off on a note that we would want to enter for ourselves? Wouldn't it make more sense long-term to say "you've seen the end of the new Trilogy, now step into that world on your own Star Wars adventure" and feel like a real continuation of the story? Then you have the freedom to conjure up some new conflict that's fun to step into as an audience, has the trappings of a Star Wars story, can still be written to be canon, but aren't weirdly landlocked by the release dates of 2 movies that are already years behind us.

It makes sense that the Halcyon is nestled in the same moment in time that Galaxy's Edge is . . . but it seems like they picked the single dumbest era to stick us in from here on out. It's totally crazy to have this opening years after the fact and have to ignore all the events of Rise of Skywalker, which was released 3 months after opening day of GE. The vast majority of its life will be in a world where most people who enter will have seen the whole trilogy, they should have put us in a moment where they can take full advantage of that. Set the Theme Park environments immediately AFTER the events of the new Trilogy and let us play out what happens then. It would have probably required some rewriting of Rise of Skywalker, but hey, it's not like the movie couldn't have used it.

I know lots of people hate the GE timeline for other reasons, some with more validity than others, but only after seeing this video did I realize how asinine it is that this new experience also has to fall within that same weird window between sequels. And presumably every expansion going forward. Silly. Set it in the "present" immediately after the end of the Trilogy and let us walk into a brave new world of Star Wars, where we can still feel the results of the conflict while also writing for ourselves what comes next. We should be embarking on the Halcyon's first voyage after the fall of the First Order, with the ship newly restored and celebration in the air, only to discover that peace hasn't fallen over the whole galaxy, and things can turn from there.

That took 5 minutes, Disney. Should have called me, could have saved you the "years" it took to write whatever this story is that you're going with.
The whole root problem here is everything they’ve built for Star Wars is set in three of the worst sequels ever made and another spinoff movie that bombed at the box office and was DOA…

because Disney shamefully didn’t understand Star Wars at all. And then they proved it.

So in rare “corporate synergy”…they approved about $2 billion in park adds based on those bad movies before they even saw them…and took forever to build them - the complete anti-classic Disney approach. So you get overpriced, predetermined stinkers.

sorry…I’ll try to be less honest/more “magical” next time. Have a good weekend.

Casper Gutman

I know much has been said about the decision to set Galaxy's Edge in a specific era in Star Wars, but can we take a minute to talk about the real stupidity of picking the particular era they chose?

There was something fun to the idea of being able to walk into a living mid-quel between The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker . . . for about a few months before Rise of Skywalker came out and ended that trilogy. Now here we are 3 years later, and this new addition is still stuck in the limbo of events that happened prior to the last installation of the story . . . what??

Anyone with any real planning sense should have looked at a conceptual level and said "it would make WAY more sense for us to either move up the release of The Last Jedi or push back the opening of Galaxy's Edge so that we can open a place set in an era after the events of that trilogy. Having seen Rise of Skywalker it's decently clear why they chose not to do that . . . *cough* Kylo *cough* . . . but it would have given them SO much more leeway to create exciting things to happen that 1) Don't have to retroactively jibe with events that, like, could have secretly happened between films, and 2) aren't sending us back to a seemingly arbitrary period in the history of Star Wars. I get the idea of wanting to insert people into a moment of high-conflict in the galaxy, but why would I now, having seen The Rise of Skywalker, want to walk specifically into the moments before that movie happened, effectively being asked to pretend they haven't happened yet?

They couldn't have coordinated the writing of Rise of Skywalker with the plans for Galaxy's Edge and left off on a note that we would want to enter for ourselves? Wouldn't it make more sense long-term to say "you've seen the end of the new Trilogy, now step into that world on your own Star Wars adventure" and feel like a real continuation of the story? Then you have the freedom to conjure up some new conflict that's fun to step into as an audience, has the trappings of a Star Wars story, can still be written to be canon, but aren't weirdly landlocked by the release dates of 2 movies that are already years behind us.

It makes sense that the Halcyon is nestled in the same moment in time that Galaxy's Edge is . . . but it seems like they picked the single dumbest era to stick us in from here on out. It's totally crazy to have this opening years after the fact and have to ignore all the events of Rise of Skywalker, which was released 3 months after opening day of GE. The vast majority of its life will be in a world where most people who enter will have seen the whole trilogy, they should have put us in a moment where they can take full advantage of that. Set the Theme Park environments immediately AFTER the events of the new Trilogy and let us play out what happens then. It would have probably required some rewriting of Rise of Skywalker, but hey, it's not like the movie couldn't have used it.

I know lots of people hate the GE timeline for other reasons, some with more validity than others, but only after seeing this video did I realize how asinine it is that this new experience also has to fall within that same weird window between sequels. And presumably every expansion going forward. Silly. Set it in the "present" immediately after the end of the Trilogy and let us walk into a brave new world of Star Wars, where we can still feel the results of the conflict while also writing for ourselves what comes next. We should be embarking on the Halcyon's first voyage after the fall of the First Order, with the ship newly restored and celebration in the air, only to discover that peace hasn't fallen over the whole galaxy, and things can turn from there.

That took 5 minutes, Disney. Should have called me, could have saved you the "years" it took to write whatever this story is that you're going with.
A lot of good points. But I think ignoring Rise of Skywalker is always the best choice - it is the one SW movie with NO redeeming features. My crazy fantasy is that Episode 9 gets remade some day - doing so could fix an enormous number of problems with the sequel trilogy. In any case, pretending the series ended with Last Jedi conforms nicely to my personal canon.

bpiper

So everyone is burying the lead here…

what in hell is “franchise content and strategy” department??

…if you want to know why/how bad of shape LFL is in…don’t look farther than right there
I don't know, but its staffed by these guys:

1645221281845.png

yensidtlaw1969

The whole root problem here is everything they’ve built for Star Wars is set in three of the worst sequels ever made and another spinoff movie that bombed at the box office and was DOA…

because Disney shamefully didn’t understand Star Wars at all. And then they proved it.

So in rare “corporate synergy”…they approved about $2 billion in park adds based on those bad movies before they even saw them…and took forever to build them - the complete anti-classic Disney approach. So you get overpriced, predetermined stinkers.

sorry…I’ll try to be less honest/more “magical” next time. Have a good weekend.
I could honestly live with Galaxy's Edge being framed around the newest Trilogy . . . provided they picked the right moment. It should have been painfully obvious that with this thing opening right around the time the Trilogy ended that it should have been set in the events immediately after, not immediately before. I mean, Rise of the Resistance had about 10 days in which you could ride before Rise of Skywalker opened in theaters and moved the setting from "The Present" to "The Past". I know Rise of the Resistance was planned to open sooner, but still, it should have been realized Galaxy's Edge would, in the real world, only inhabit the no man's land between the film releases for a really short while.

Set it right after Rise of Skywalker, let Rey be as much of a thing as she is, if not more, let it be that Lightsabers are no longer illegal to posess, come up with some idea about who can be the baddie that brings some tension to the land (maybe if they had written Kylo a little different in the final movie he could still pop up), let the smuggler's keep doing their thing because they're always out to pull a fast one, and bask in the fact that you can invent whatever you want at that point because you're not bookended by two previously-written films that you have to fit between and be interesting without inventing too many plot points that could disagree.

Rise of the Resistance would have needed to be rethought to make sense out of ending up on a Star Destoyer in a post-First Order world, but I bet someone with more time than me can come up with that one.

kingdead

A lot of good points. But I think ignoring Rise of Skywalker is always the best choice - it is the one SW movie with NO redeeming features. My crazy fantasy is that Episode 9 gets remade some day - doing so could fix an enormous number of problems with the sequel trilogy. In any case, pretending the series ended with Last Jedi conforms nicely to my personal canon.
Having PTSD flashbacks to "Somehow, Palpatine returned"... Not the biggest Last Jedi fan but the end of that movie is great as a setup for a theme park. Knowing it all ends in Rise makes me want to demand they pay ME $6k.

(Yes, the prequels were bad, but there are so many beautiful costuming options in them that I wouldn't say no to Padme's Dress Shop!)

corran horn

So everyone is burying the lead here…

what in hell is “franchise content and strategy” department??

…if you want to know why/how bad of shape LFL is in…don’t look farther than right there
It's something a media company has to make sure the multiple properties they're releasing across TV, film, theme parks, videogames, comics, and books all mesh as well as they can.

Not sure anyone would say Star Wars is in 'bad shape'.

yensidtlaw1969

I feel that - obviously the REAL answer here would have been to get some better writing into Rise of Skywalker (and perhaps beyond) . . . The first trilogy had some bum writing too, of course, but considering Disney built this whole trilogy from the ground up and decided to build a land based on the trilogy they had all the power to control, you'd think they'd have planned both the land and the trilogy a little more strategically for each other. Instead it feels like they both somehow managed to get the short end of the stick in terms of overarching ideas.

corran horn

I feel that - obviously the REAL answer here would have been to get some better writing into Rise of Skywalker (and perhaps beyond) . . . The first trilogy had some bum writing too, of course, but considering Disney built this whole trilogy from the ground up and decided to build a land based on the trilogy they had all the power to control, you'd think they'd have planned both the land and the trilogy a little more strategically for each other. Instead it feels like they both somehow managed to get the short end of the stick in terms of overarching ideas.
Abrams wasn't supposed to direct it. Carrie Fisher died. Obviously nothing could've been done about the latter, and for the former anything but the choice they made would've delayed the film and I'm sure there were business/$ reasons why they didn't want to do that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ironically, people have nostalgia now for those films since it was 20 years ago...people who were kids back then liked them more I think
That was the argument At the time and it is somewhat true…

and it’s what Disney…I mean “Star Wars” defenders 🙄…have already started to do about their gruesome 5 movies…

but it ignores a couple of things:
1. The prequel hate was eased by the clone wars amongst fans…somewhat
2. The fact the sequel trilogy - who everyone always wanted unlike the prequels - were as downright awful as they were makes more fondness for the prequels…maybe just because of 3 alone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom