News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sure, all you hear is how everybody hates The Mandalorian.
…ahhh…but I didn’t say it all. I said it’s in bad shape on the whole for it’s efforts. Mandolorian and a somewhat cultish following for R1 are the highlights.

we don’t have to compartmentalize it and do Disney’s dirty work…we’ve supported MCU and that’s given them huge wins with very little suck in comparison.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I could honestly live with Galaxy's Edge being framed around the newest Trilogy . . . provided they picked the right moment. It should have been painfully obvious that with this thing opening right around the time the Trilogy ended that it should have been set in the events immediately after, not immediately before. I mean, Rise of the Resistance had about 10 days in which you could ride before Rise of Skywalker opened in theaters and moved the setting from "The Present" to "The Past". I know Rise of the Resistance was planned to open sooner, but still, it should have been realized Galaxy's Edge would, in the real world, only inhabit the no man's land between the film releases for a really short while.

Set it right after Rise of Skywalker, let Rey be as much of a thing as she is, if not more, let it be that Lightsabers are no longer illegal to posess, come up with some idea about who can be the baddie that brings some tension to the land (maybe if they had written Kylo a little different in the final movie he could still pop up), let the smuggler's keep doing their thing because they're always out to pull a fast one, and bask in the fact that you can invent whatever you want at that point because you're not bookended by two previously-written films that you have to fit between and be interesting without inventing too many plot points that could disagree.

Rise of the Resistance would have needed to be rethought to make sense out of ending up on a Star Destoyer in a post-First Order world, but I bet someone with more time than me can come up with that one.
Those movies and characters were awful. I
Used to try and hedge it…but I can’t now. Been going on 7 years…

it’s not an issue of timing…it’s they’re “awful” layered like an onion.

do you wonder why Daisy Ridley doesn’t work anymore? Don’t. It’s the same thing as Hayden Christiansen (who I hear finally got a job?) and Natalie Portman described in detail 10 years ago.

you can’t screw up Star Wars and brush it off. Lesson from 1999. Hollywood is a tough biz…only Mel Gibson is ever forgiven.

Last edited:

TP2000

I actually thought they might respond to public reaction to the first few videos by having artists rush through and add some details (baubles, paint/aging, textures) to try to Starwarsify the Starcruiser.

Alas, they did not.

I thought they'd do that too. They didn't.

Although, that thought came to me shortly after I had given up on my grand conspiracy theory that this was all a big joke and they were hiding the real hotel and the real experience to make the whole thing go viral when they revealed the real hotel. I was that convinced the cheesy looking product they were showing was too bad to be real.

There's no big conspiracy. There's no emergency fix-it project. This is all real. :oops:

sedati

Even the quick view we get of what I think is the dining room isn't especially impressive -- the concept art had a lot more character. It looks better than the bridge, but it still looks heavily skewed towards the plastic/basic side of things.
A lot of the interior gives me Bespin vibes, especially the view from the arrival craft door.

TP2000

at least this one doesn't make you cringe... it's a start!

True. They've hidden away Ann Morrow and the C List sitcom stars, at least for now.

But they're still doing that stupid thing where they spend a huge chunk of time showing the product in unflattering light and droning on about how clever they were for building this fake Star Wars hotel behind a Florida theme park.

Instead of pretending this is real and only communicating to potential customers as representatives of Chandrila Star Lines living within their own universe, they are standing there as hipster 2020's Imagineers bragging about how fake it is.
That's the dumbest and most narcissistic marketing strategy for an "immersive adventure" I've ever seen. :banghead:

Last edited:

dothebrdwalk

I honestly think if Disney wanted to sell this they should produce a 10 minute long vacation video giving us a tour and showing us some of the highlights, JUST like the vacation videos of the past. I am not nearly as anti as others may be, and would consider it but NEVER would i purchase this with barely any photos/videos available. Seeing IS selling. C'mon Disney!

UNCgolf

A lot of the interior gives me Bespin vibes, especially the view from the arrival craft door.

It does look a bit like Bespin -- I think it might better if they went almost entirely white like Bespin, though. That grabs your attention, although I suppose it would make it a lot harder to keep clean.

With that said, I'm reserving judgment on the dining room until we have more than just a couple of seconds from a promotional video.

It also would have been nice if they showed more of the Starcruiser instead of spending time showing stuff from Batuu that everyone has already seen.

TP2000

It also would have been nice if they showed more of the Starcruiser instead of spending time showing stuff from Batuu that everyone has already seen.

That shot up a warning flag for me right away. This thing opens in 10 days, but...

50% of this video was two American hipsters bragging on the fake bridge with all the effects and lighting turned off.
30% of this video was B Roll from 2019 used for the opening of Star Wars Land at Disneyland.
20% of this video was quick-cut B Roll of the actual hotel and "immersive adventure".

That's weird. Why aren't they showing the actual thing they are selling in their pre-opening media??? 🤔

Hawg G

at least this one doesn't make you cringe... it's a start!

Sure it does, for $6000.

A few weeks out, they are advertising it with a video game with a joystick and buttons, a light saber game out of Great Wolf Lodge, having Chewie cheer you on putting a power coupling together, then a small restaurant with a couple of droids gong around. Then they focus a lot on a 2 year old park addition.

It looks completely little kid centric.

corran horn

True. They've hidden away Ann Morrow and the C List sitcom stars, at least for now.

But they're still doing that stupid thing where they spend a huge chunk of time showing the product in unflattering light and droning on about how clever they were for building this fake Star Wars hotel behind a Florida theme park.

Instead of pretending this is real and only communicating to potential customers as representatives of Chandrila Star Lines living within their own universe, they are standing there as hipster 2020's Imagineers bragging about how fake it is.
That's the dumbest and most narcissistic marketing strategy for an "immersive adventure" I've ever seen. :banghead:
The harsh lighting which they keep using has done a real disservice to it, I agree.

Tha Realest

That shot up a warning flag for me right away. This thing opens in 10 days, but...

50% of this video was two American hipsters bragging on the fake bridge with all the effects and lighting turned off.
30% of this video was B Roll from 2019 used for the opening of Star Wars Land at Disneyland.
20% of this video was quick-cut B Roll of the actual hotel and "immersive adventure".

That's weird. Why aren't they showing the actual thing they are selling in their pre-opening media??? 🤔
Good points. The now-memory holed promotion video actually had more footage within the hotel (singing woman, the hallways, etc) than this one does. And that was back in November.

Patcheslee

Even the quick view we get of what I think is the dining room isn't especially impressive -- the concept art had a lot more character. It looks better than the bridge, but it still looks heavily skewed towards the plastic/basic side of things.
The only thing that might help is looks like they turn down the lights while the bridge activities is going on. It doesn't look as crisp then.
Screenshot_20220218-182507_Chrome.jpg

yensidtlaw1969

Those movies and characters were awful. I
Used to try and hedge it…but I can’t now. Been going on 7 years…

it’s not an issue of timing…it’s there “awful” layered like an onion.

do you wonder why Daisy Ridley doesn’t work anymore? Don’t. It’s the same thing as Hayden Christiansen (who I hear finally got a job?) and Natalie Portman described in detail 10 years ago.

you can’t screw up Star Wars and brush it off. Lesson from 1999. Hollywood is a tough biz…only Mel Gibson is ever forgiven.
Listen, I have no vested interest in defending the sequel trilogies - I'm not really a Star Wars guy beyond where my interest in the parks brings me - but let's not pretend that Rey being lame was Daisy Ridley's fault and that she hasn't worked since. It wasn't and she has . But let's also keep in mind that one of the perks of starring in a massive Hollywood franchise is that afterwards you can afford to take time off if you so wish.

I wouldn't say we're far enough out to properly judge the impact Rey's scattered reception has on her career trajectory, and I definitely don't think she sank to the levels of Hayden Christiensen. They both had very little to work with, but she never seemed to phone things in the way he did constantly. I think it could be fairly argued that she was merely a competent actress being handed a poorly written character, whereas he tanked every scene he was in. She seemed to do her best with what she had and he seemed to do his worst.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom